What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not able to do wifi sync

ScorpionBlues

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
I m not able sync my iPad 2 5.0 with my computer iTunes,
Yes device is plugged to power
iTunes is opened on pc
Enabled wifi sync by connecting to pc once.
Both devices r using same wifi network.

But still my sync now option (Settings > general > wifi sync > pc ) is grey.

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found, I enabled wifi sync on pc, then actually sync once while connected. Then simply disconnect the iPad (don't "eject") and then it worked for me.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jeeper said:
I found, I enabled wifi sync on pc, then actually sync once while connected. Then simply disconnect the iPad (don't "eject") and then it worked for me.

Agreed, the first time I did it I was connected via the cable, it started syncing and I just disconnected the cable and it carried on........but boy was I sweating as I pulled that cable out!!!

The Archangel

OP
ScorpionBlues

ScorpionBlues

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ya It worked. Thanks !

BuyerMan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there something not allowing both an iPad and iPhone from wifi syncing on same iTunes? My iPad works fine but even after I checked the box on the iPhone, it still only recognizes the iPad on iTunes and not the iPhone.

Mike

Samdottore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Agreed, the first time I did it I was connected via the cable, it started syncing and I just disconnected the cable and it carried on........but boy was I sweating as I pulled that cable out!!!

The Archangel

I'll admit I haven't actually tried this 'method', as it seems a rather crude way of forcing wifi sync with iTunes on PC. Is this really the only way to achieve it?
Like the earlier respondent, I was puzzled to find that even with the PC on, iPad said '<Pcname> is not available', 'Try again when <Pcname> is available'. How is one supposed to make the PC available, except by having it connected to a wifi-enabled network? Or is this one of those instances where Windows connectivity is not supported to the same extent as Mac?

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But still my sync now option (Settings > general > wifi sync > pc ) is grey.

Is the wifi on the IOS devices turned on,?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
BuyerMan said:
Is there something not allowing both an iPad and iPhone from wifi syncing on same iTunes? My iPad works fine but even after I checked the box on the iPhone, it still only recognizes the iPad on iTunes and not the iPhone.

Mike

Mine quit working again, but during the brief time I was able to sync wirelessly, both devices worked simultaneously.

After tearing my hair out trying to get it to work, I put it through the mill; updating apps, adding books and music to both devices, updating Pages docs etc and it worked flawlessly.

A week later, nada. Back to greyed out boxes and USB cables. Ah, well. At least I know it works in theory.

stjohnm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same thing since updating to iOS5.0.1 the Wi-Fi syncing has been inactive. It worked the first time around but now only shows the iPad when connected via the USB cable, if I unplug the cable (without ejecting) the iPad disappears before when I disconnected the cable it maintained the connection with the device via WiFi.

nyc2sd30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When your iPad is plugged into your PC go to the IPad summary screen. Near the bottom there is a check box that enables the iPad to be synched via wifi. By default this is unchecked. This should solve the problem.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

lone_wolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 2 ipads 2 iPhone, one I pad won't sync through wifi. I did several times then just stopped, the others still work fine. All the settings are the same. Of coarse it's the one I use the most that won't sync through wifi. It will still do it through the cable.

stjohnm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nyc2sd30 said:
When your iPad is plugged into your PC go to the IPad summary screen. Near the bottom there is a check box that enables the iPad to be synched via wifi. By default this is unchecked. This should solve the problem.

The wifi sync box was checked although I did deselect it, sync reelect it, resync and iTunes did pick up the iPad when I powered up the PC this am, fingers x'ed it works now. I did however get a message saying iTunes lost connection to the iPad "unknown error" although that could have been because it went into sleep mode after being idle for a while, it wasn't connected to the mains at the time.

nyc2sd30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep.... Wifi sync is disabled if the iPad isn't plugged in to a power source.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nyc2sd30 said:
Yep.... Wifi sync is disabled if the iPad isn't plugged in to a power source.

That's kind of strange as I have done a wifi sync without being plugged into a power source.

The Archangel

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I thought so too but when I tried syncing hubby's 3GS yesterday, it wouldn't connect and said I had to USB. I did so and found the wifi had been deselected! I didn't do that and no elves or gremlins live here! It synced after that.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts