What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad won't turn on. Not responsive to usual fixes.

sfeldhs528

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 3rd Gen iPad that is having problems turning on.

When attempting to turn it on it shows the apple symbol for a while as if it were turning on, however the screen goes black and is presumably off again. Continued attempts yield the same result.

When trying the hard reset via the home/power buttons, the apple symbol appears for about three seconds and then goes black again. Still does not turn on.

When plugged in, the iPad has the same result from trying to be turned on normally. Does not register on the computer as being plugged in.

These are the only fixes I've been able to find and they do not appear to work. I haven't been able to find a similar problem either. Any help would be appreciated.

OP
S

sfeldhs528

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Additionally, I have got it to display the connect to iTunes. With iTunes open I connected my iPad and it said that it needed to be reset. When I tried that option, I got the same end result...Again any HELP would be appreciated.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried using recovery mode to restore your iPad? If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If this doesn't work, you could try using DFU mode.

Entering DFU Mode on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
  1. Plug your device into your computer with a USB cable.
  2. Turn off the device.
  3. Hold the Power button for 3 seconds.
  4. Hold the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds.
  5. Release the Power button but keep holding the Home button.
  6. After about 15 seconds you will be alerted by iTunes saying that it has detected a device in Recovery Mode.
Make sure the device screen is blank and no logos are present

Exiting DFU Mode on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
  1. Hold the Home and Power buttons until the Apple Logo appears.

If neither of these methods work you likely have a hardware fault in your iPad.

OP
S

sfeldhs528

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Neither of those methods worked. I keep getting a dialog box that says..."The iPad could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194)."

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sounds like something on the logic board decided to call it quits. Unless you have access to someone who can do microsoldering and circuit board repairs (which still may be too costly) it will likely be time to replace the device.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Error 3194 tells that you're trying to install a wrong software on your device. The only iOS that can be installed on the iPad 3 is 9.3.2.

OP
S

sfeldhs528

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Error 3194 tells that you're trying to install a wrong software on your device. The only iOS that can be installed on the iPad 3 is 9.3.2.
So what am I doing wrong? I wasn't trying to update the iPad. Apparently the battery was run dead, turned back on, it died again and was turned back on. Rinse and repeat until it no longer turns back on at all. I wasn't around unfortunately when the problem occurred, so all of this is second hand information and I continue to find out more info.

Most reactions

Latest posts