What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad vs. high-end Android tablets

thekarens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
People buying stuff on the basis of advertising and (perceived) brand recognition is common everywhere, not just technology, and the majority of customers are pretty indiscriminate - that I agree. Personally I have no specific loyalty to any brand, although I do have three Apple gadgets which were, in fact, presents. If they hadn't been given to me, I daresay I'd still be using a Nokia dumbphone and an IBM laptop until they quit.

That said, like many (technology) consumers, I do go for products which are easy to use, well supported (e.g. post-sales, software, upgrades) and reliable. As it happens, Apple ticks all three boxes easily - and they have caught the competition with their pants down with the iPad. For all their merits, the Xoom and Tab have too much of a "rushed to market" taint around them, and consumers can sense that, too.

I agree with you regarding Android tablets, which is why I have the iPad for my tablet. I also have an Android phone which for me is better than iPhone and for music I use a Zune, which again for me it's the best choice, but I bet I'm in the minority. Apple is a master at advertisement, better than any other tech company out there.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with you regarding Android tablets, which is why I have the iPad for my tablet. I also have an Android phone which for me is better than iPhone and for music I use a Zune, which again for me it's the best choice, but I bet I'm in the minority. Apple is a master at advertisement, better than any other tech company out there.

Well, I think the recent fiasco with the Android malware hasn't helped their case, either. There is an economy of convenience with people who own multiple Apple products, which is not to be underestimated: the devices can be managed and share apps, music, video, etc out of iTunes and App Shop (as opposed to running separate tools/software for each device.)

Apple is not just good at advertising (which is one aspect of it); they are an absolute juggernaut in market branding. For instance, when you look at the iPod, iPad and iPhone, you can see the consistency and unity in the shape and design that each device has with the others - glossy, metallic, sleek - that immediately tells you, "we are all part of the same family." This even extends to the look and character of their Apple Shops - lots of glass and burnished metal and smooth surfaces, much like the devices themselves. People may not consciously realize it, but every visual and design aspect of an Apple product reinforces its branding.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's not just advertising alone. Like many I was late to apple but my decisions are influenced by previous purchases.
Their stuff just works, requires no maintenance and just keeps going and going. For someone with a lot of tech gear that's a hell of a bonus as you waste so much time maintaining and upgrading rather than getting work done.
Great design helps too:)

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with what Hasty said. It just works. I use a Mac mini as a desktop (over 3 years old) and iPhone and iPad, all of which are stable. I never have any problems, they do what I need them to do. With iPad, it is stable, I don't need it overclocked and tinkered to death. It runs smooth. The apps I get do the things I got it for. I'll keep my iPad 1 over the new round of Honeycombs and even right now I'm not upgrading to the iPad 2 because the first generation is a great product as it is just plain works.

madsquabbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is an economy of convenience with people who own multiple Apple products, which is not to be underestimated: the devices can be managed and share apps, music, video, etc out of iTunes and App Shop (as opposed to running separate tools/software for each device.)
it's the same with android also. you can share apps btw devices registered under your acct. plus no need for itunes and multiple back ups for every device on you c drive.

also, apps can be managed over the web - but whether it ends up being a security risk down the road...

the price to pay for convenience will always be the lack of security.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think at the moment the only real advantage the iPad has is it large inventory of apps, otherwise I think something like the HP tablet that is coming out soon looks better. No problems with flash and greater flexibility in multitasking. The ability to switch between emails and whatnot looks ideal on the new HP tablet.

What's your opinion?

The new HP tablet that runs on WebOS ... is that what you are referring to?
If so, it isn't released yet. When we ass-u-me ... guess what?

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
also, apps can be managed over the web - but whether it ends up being a security risk down the road... the price to pay for convenience will always be the lack of security.

Well... speaking of security, Apple aren't the ones who've been plagued by malware apps recently, are they?

Reaction score
I may start a war here but as an Android lover and one who used to not like the lock down of Apple,i now see the advantage of the lock down for the consumer.
Android, like MS, will allow anyone to install their product on their device with their own bloat and user interface which can cause headaches for the consumer. An app may work great on 1 model and blow chunks on another. The Apple hardware is reliable whereas with Android you manufacturers like Moto that believe QC stands for quite crappy or Samsung that doesn't know the meaning of the word update.
I like my open Android phone but a 15 minute return window and buying an app being a crap shoot whether or not it will work right because it's trying to fit too many variables has gotten to be a pain.
Make it so I can put settings widgets on my home screen and make a few slider keyboard apps and I'll become an Apple fanboy .

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

Most reactions