What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Tethering

mamiamjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Works on my Hero

I had no problems doing that with my Sprint HTC Hero, should work fine on the Droid. You do have to be rooted though

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
The latest Redsnow did the trick....

that is good news. Then I can finally upgrade to 3.1.3.

But I have now decided, that with 4.0 I will not jailbreak any more, as this will bring 90% of the stuff, why I do jailbreak the iPhone.

Do not upgrade!

Part of the process Redsnow uses is to downgrade back to 3.1.2 , so it would be pointless to upgrade.

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I called AT&T yesterday and tried to see if they had any type of hifi/mifi hotspot device like Verizon, and they have nada, zilch!

I actually do not need a portable hot-spot, as everywhere I go has wifi, but I just seem to keep looking into this as I think it would be nice to have. I don't travel like other folks for business, so this was part of my decision to get the wifi only IPad.

It still seems odd that AT&T does not offer this, makes me wonder if this was a strategic move by Apple, and they leveraged AT&T to hold off on a device until a later date? hhmm....

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
Anyone have an idea about tethering with a blackberry. I have used android and windows mobile phone as hotspots. But I am stuck on a blackberry right now and can't find a way to do a wifi hotspot.

TheBaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I called AT&T yesterday and tried to see if they had any type of hifi/mifi hotspot device like Verizon, and they have nada, zilch!

I actually do not need a portable hot-spot, as everywhere I go has wifi, but I just seem to keep looking into this as I think it would be nice to have. I don't travel like other folks for business, so this was part of my decision to get the wifi only IPad.

It still seems odd that AT&T does not offer this, makes me wonder if this was a strategic move by Apple, and they leveraged AT&T to hold off on a device until a later date? hhmm....

I was wondering the same thing. It seems like some sort of strategic arrangement. I wish AT&T would offer some sort of package deal that would allow 3G iphone customers to have a portable hotspot for their ipads. Yes, I know it'll never happen.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you can tether with a Droid! Also, if your already with AT&T the Nexus One can tether also.

If you have a rooted droid you can get a free app called wireless tether, it turns your droid into a mifi.

Hey droid owner folks or not...can anyone confirm for sure if this works? Still up in the air about a 3g or non 3g Pad
thanks a million

wdw412

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea about tethering with a blackberry. I have used android and windows mobile phone as hotspots. But I am stuck on a blackberry right now and can't find a way to do a wifi hotspot.

Yes I have a storm 2 and need a way to wifi from the storm2.

Thxs,
Bill

dpizzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes I have a storm 2 and need a way to wifi from the storm2.

Thxs,
Bill

I'm in the same camp. I'm considering buying a Droid and selling my S2 so i can tether, or what would be real nice would be the HTC Incredible if it gets rooted. But I'm still on contract for a while, so I'd like to just use the S2. I know there are requests for Tetherberry to develop something, but last time I checked they are working on Android functionality right now.

lennywc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Droid becomes wifi hotspot!

Yes, tethering does work on a droid if the droid is rooted/jail broken. I rooted my droid and am running an app that turns the droid into a wifi hotspot. It so cool! I can have my droid phone upstairs in my house and I can be browsing thru the wifi hotspot while sitting on the sofa downstairs. Much better than blue tooth tethering. It also has security features to prevent unauthorized users from surfing thru the droid hotspot. I would caution people who do this to refrain from using the verizon signal excessively. Don't want to bring attention to what your doing.

iPAD@UVA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I am new to the tethering realm, according to several reviews the HTC Incredible will have officially supported tethering built in. No word from Verizon on pricing but it might be a good way to go.

Most reactions

Latest posts