What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Tethering

robb25j

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only problem I have with my jailbroken iPhone acting as a wireless hotspot is the fact that when you are using it, the battery drains faster than it can charge. If you don't have it charging, the battery is dead in less than 2 hours.

Not to mention your phone becomes a oven it gets hot as hell I'm trying the 10 day trial period before I purchase the app and to be honest I'm only purchasing the App because my fiance will take my current iPad once my 3G iPad comes in and I know she gonna want to get online with her's sooner or later

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those who have iPhones, the first step is to jailbreak your iPhone. Here are some tutorials:
iClarified - Tutorials - iPhone

Once it is jailbroken, you need to buy and configure MyWi.
iClarified - iPhone - How to Turn Your iPhone Into a Wireless Hotspot Using MyWi

I am no expert on these things. Up until now I didn't have a reason to jailbreak my iPhone. Following the tutorials above I was able to turn my iPhone 3G into a wifi hotspot without too much trouble.

Good luck.
Wow, looks a little involved, but it's a nice step by step so I might just look into it.

I still worry about updates and compatibility issues down the road, I will look at the website and read more of what they have to say about it.

Thanks again wot fan!

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I have tried to jailbreak, but it fails. I have a iPhone 3G, with 3.1.3 and am on windows. Tried snow and it failed..... Hope something comes up, I would really like to have the tether option.

robb25j

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried to jailbreak, but it fails. I have a iPhone 3G, with 3.1.3 and am on windows. Tried snow and it failed..... Hope something comes up, I would really like to have the tether option.

Oh u have 3.1.3. Dat sucks. Far as jailbreak in and unlocking

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score

3G should be fine even with 3.1.3. Major trouble comes with the 3GS, manufactured after week 45 2009, 'cause they changed the Modem firmware after that week.

All 3GS users, who's iPhone has been built after week 45 DON'T upgrade to 3.1.3 w/o using proper unlocking tools. Otherwise you brick the phone and stay on AT$T for a while....

Look for Sn0wbreeze. This only works on Windows.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Thanks kheldour, but I tried snow breeze twice, and it failed both times in the iTunes part..... No love at all......

The 3.1.3 seems to be the problem. I had no interest in jail breaking until I got my iPad, and of course I had already upgraded to 3.1.3....... Oh well.....

andyipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got a jail broken iPhone with a 3G subscription and installed a tethering app. iPad works perfectly with it. Might not have to get the 3G version after all.

How did you connect the iPhone and the iPad? Can you do it over Bluetooth? If not is there a cable available that has a iPhone connection on both ends?

I used iphonemodem to setup my iphone as a wireless hub, cost you $10. You need to jailbreak your iphone those, and your OS needs to be 3.12 or earlier.

If you still have 3.11, then there is a free version from CNET

Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV

ryan8813

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone have success with my wi on an older iPhone? My 3G is jailbroken but I think it's running 2.1.

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Too bad for the 3G guys, rumor is NETFLIX is configured to run only on a wifi connection. I could smell ATT having a hand in it to limit bandwidth usage.

The 3G ipads also can use straight wifi. Just like my iphone can and does.

KronicKaos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks kheldour, but I tried snow breeze twice, and it failed both times in the iTunes part..... No love at all......

The 3.1.3 seems to be the problem. I had no interest in jail breaking until I got my iPad, and of course I had already upgraded to 3.1.3....... Oh well.....

Just give it a little time. I just read that GeoHot has jail broken OS 4 already (along with the iPad OS) so it's only a matter of time before 3.1.3 is jail broken

TheBaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm confused about 3.1.3 not being jailbreakable. I have 3.1.3 and jailbroke it just fine. I don't recall if I used red snow or Snowbreeze to do it, but it was really simple and worked fine. I have a 3G and not a 3GS in case that matters?
I've been too paranoid to tether it to my ipad though. I want to see if anybody gets hit by a gigantic bill from AT&T before I give it a shot.
Also, there's a free tether app in cydia called Internet Tethering 3.0. Why not just use that instead of paying for MyWi?

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I heard that the iPad seems to have an issue with tethering? Can somebody please confirm this.

Alternative to the jailbreaked iPhone with MyWi is the Huawei 5830 device. Available in US and UK:

The Huawei E5830 wireless modem sends out a Wi-Fi signal to give you internet connection whenever you need it. With your own mobile Wi-Fi connection (known as MiFi®) so you can connect different Wi-Fi enabled devices at once and get fast internet speeds with no wires, no hassles and no need for a Wi-Fi hotspot.
The E5830 is really easy to use and fits in your pocket. Just turn on your wireless modem, switch on connection to the 3 network, and select the Wi-Fi function. Then choose the Wi-Fi option on whichever device you’re using. There's no need to load any software to get online using the Huawei E5830. The wireless modem gives you download speeds of up to 3.6Mbps (megabits per second) and comes with a battery that lets you stay connected to the internet for up to 5 hours.
The E5830 also comes with onboard software that starts each time you connect it to a PC or laptop using the USB cable. The software allows you to send and receive text messages and change settings for your Wi-Fi connection.

mifi_210x225.jpg

Available on UK-eBay for round about $100. In the US most likely cheaper.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com

Just give it a little time. I just read that GeoHot has jail broken OS 4 already (along with the iPad OS) so it's only a matter of time before 3.1.3 is jail broken

A few post above this one, is an update that I did get it jail broke :)

It was pretty easy one I quit screwing around with Snowbreze. The latest Redsnow did the trick....

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
As for as concern about AT&T and a huge bill .... I would't stream anything, or do huge downloads for sure. I did it for simple email and browsing, and not every day use. It is my understanding that as long as your monthly usage is under 5gigs, it stays under their radar. If it gets over 5 gigs, then it starts throwing red flags.

Of course, I could be completely wrong.......

Most reactions

Latest posts