What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad & iphone tether

Munchkin52

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Currently I own a jailbroken Ipad 1. After I got the ipad 1, I bought an iphone 4. My Ipad 1 is wi-fi not 3G. My question is: to tether my two devices, do I need to jailbreak the iphone as well? :confused: Will the cydia app. work to do this or do I need to add that to the iphone?

Anomalous

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Munchkin52 said:
Currently I own a jailbroken Ipad 1. After I got the ipad 1, I bought an iphone 4. My Ipad 1 is wi-fi not 3G. My question is: to tether my two devices, do I need to jailbreak the iphone as well? :confused: Will the cydia app. work to do this or do I need to add that to the iphone?

I JB both my wifi iPad 1 and iPhone 4 then installed MyWi 4.0 app from Cydia to my iPhone to tether my iPad and MacBook Pro.

From my understanding the 3G iDevice (iPhone or iPad) has to be the source of the tethered connection. If I'm wrong, some of the forum Masters will clarify. :)

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you purchase a tethering data plan on your phone, that's all you need. 4.3.2 on the phone has a personal hotspot feature that the iPad can connect to. No JB required.

If you don't want to purchase a tethering plan, iTether or MyWi on a jailbroken phone will allow you to use your paid for 3G data plan via tethering, but nothing I know of will get you additional data you did not pay for.
I use iTether for the very small amount of tethering I need.

kurisk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you purchase a tethering data plan on your phone, that's all you need. 4.3.2 on the phone has a personal hotspot feature that the iPad can connect to. No JB required.

If you don't want to purchase a tethering plan, iTether or MyWi on a jailbroken phone will allow you to use your paid for 3G data plan via tethering, but nothing I know of will get you additional data you did not pay for.
I use iTether for the very small amount of tethering I need.

I have an iphone 4 JB, and a ipad 2 (not JB) . By the sounds of it, if I add either iTether or MyWi to the phone, i'll be able to get the ipad connected without jailbreaking it? That's what i'm looking to do. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
kurisk said:
I have an iphone 4 JB, and a ipad 2 (not JB) . By the sounds of it, if I add either iTether or MyWi to the phone, i'll be able to get the ipad connected without jailbreaking it? That's what i'm looking to do. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Exactly right. ITether if you have 4.3.2. MyWi if you don't or want additional features of MyWi.

kurisk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't upgraded to 4.3.2 yet, wasn't sure if there was a JB for it yet. Thus far i've been jailbreaking for the LockInfo. A feature greatly overlooked by the Apply Overlords. Is there a JB for 4.3.2 already?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
kurisk said:
I haven't upgraded to 4.3.2 yet, wasn't sure if there was a JB for it yet. Thus far i've been jailbreaking for the LockInfo. A feature greatly overlooked by the Apply Overlords. Is there a JB for 4.3.2 already?

Yes. Visit the hacking section. Lots of good info in stickies. See my sig too.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an LG Env touch, and I have an unlimited data plan on it. Because the screen is so small, and laggy, I use ibluever, from Cydia, to tether via Bluetooth. Fast, and takes less battery than wifi tethering.

OP
M

Munchkin52

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's an update to my post about jb the iPhone. Did this quickly and easily.
Downloaded PDA net for free. Worked great. Tethered iPhone to my iPad 2 for 2 hour ride in car. Lucky to have unlimited data plan (grandfathered in).
Don't plan on doing this very often, but it was absolutely simple and tether took less than 10 seconds.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Munchkin52 said:
Here's an update to my post about jb the iPhone. Did this quickly and easily.
Downloaded PDA net for free. Worked great. Tethered iPhone to my iPad 2 for 2 hour ride in car. Lucky to have unlimited data plan (grandfathered in).
Don't plan on doing this very often, but it was absolutely simple and tether took less than 10 seconds.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

I installed PDAnet last night on my iPhone and got a wifi hotspot setup in minutes for my laptop.
The website mentions a 14 day trial though so not sure it's completely free to use.

Most reactions

Latest posts