What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Tethering

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have the storm, and the only thing I have come across is tether berry. The problem-the app is 50.00. I am hoping for an early upgrade coupon this fall around the same time the iPhone comes to VZW

leeherman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've successfully tethered my iPad and IPod touch to my Samsung Omnia (Windows Mobile) using WMWiFiRouter.

I highly recommend WMWiFiRouter to anyone using Windows Mobile.

LH

0002S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those who have iPhones, the first step is to jailbreak your iPhone. Here are some tutorials:
iClarified - Tutorials - iPhone

Once it is jailbroken, you need to buy and configure MyWi.
iClarified - iPhone - How to Turn Your iPhone Into a Wireless Hotspot Using MyWi

I am no expert on these things. Up until now I didn't have a reason to jailbreak my iPhone. Following the tutorials above I was able to turn my iPhone 3G into a wifi hotspot without too much trouble.

Good luck.

+1. This is a quick and painless solution.

mlj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but does this affect later updates for the iphone? Can we still install the new ones from apple?

0002S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but does this affect later updates for the iphone? Can we still install the new ones from apple?

If you upgraded to 3.1.3 then you're out of luck.

You can always try downgrading to 3.1.2, but if you don’t have your 3GS 3.1.2 hashes on file with Cydia, you’ll need to wait 3.1.3 out and see what happens with 4.0.

mlj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The latest Redsnow did the trick....

that is good news. Then I can finally upgrade to 3.1.3.

But I have now decided, that with 4.0 I will not jailbreak any more, as this will bring 90% of the stuff, why I do jailbreak the iPhone.

Do not upgrade!

Part of the process Redsnow uses is to downgrade back to 3.1.2 , so it would be pointless to upgrade.

Are you saying that it can still be done after 3.1.3 or are we out of luck?

0002S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
that is good news. Then I can finally upgrade to 3.1.3.

But I have now decided, that with 4.0 I will not jailbreak any more, as this will bring 90% of the stuff, why I do jailbreak the iPhone.

Do not upgrade!

Part of the process Redsnow uses is to downgrade back to 3.1.2 , so it would be pointless to upgrade.

Are you saying that it can still be done after 3.1.3 or are we out of luck?

You can always try downgrading to 3.1.2, but if you don’t have your 3GS 3.1.2 hashes on file with Cydia, you’ll need to wait 3.1.3 out and see what happens with 4.0.

Isaac Newton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know I'm probably alone here on this one...but I'm still stuck with my Blackberry Tour World Edition until my Htc Evo 4G phone drops this summer. Soooo wish I could tether my iPad to my Bberry!

Let the "just attach a string" jokes begin! - LoL

Star56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just in case anyone missed my thread, the MyWi no rock app is busted in the new Spirit release. You cannot buy it and a warning message pops up.

cargoshortviking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tethering the ipad and palm pre.

I had some nice success with the palm pre. I am on the sprint network so I had to find a wireless hotspot app (very easy to do, just google it). But it should just pick up and run on verizon, with the pre plus supporting a built in hotspot.

I found most of the pre info at precentral.net.

Fun part of the pre is the little slip case they give you. a little creative hole punching allows the pre to work as a video camera you can wear around your neck (since the last update), not to mention you can be a roaming mobile hotspot. Sprint also gives unlimited downloads over the pre under the everything plan.

and no, I do not work for sprint. just like the company and the service. iPhone got screwed on att. Just a fact. Great phone (amazing phone) ass service.

mk1151

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I returned my Verizon MiFi for a Sprint Overdrive (not only because WiMAX is coming to my area in a few months).

I pondered jailbreaking my iPhone for tethering (I had tethering working without the JB until AT&T patched the carrier update).

Ultimately however, I found the utility of having an independant device that would work with up to (5) WiFi-capable systems connected at the same time while not getting dropped when I get a phone call quite nice.

And of course the Overdrive has a removeable battery so even though it is only rated at a 3.5 hour life I can carry a few of them.

I chose this as well over the iPad 3G because first, I'm not locked onto AT&Ts network (which is horrible for 3G data in NYC).

Second, 4G is around the corner for all major carriers and now I just need to update my $50 modem as opposed to having spent the extra $130 on a 3G radio I won't use in under a year.

Third, I do need to have multiple devices online at times.

Fourth, I don't want the 3G bandwidth limitations Apple/AT&T are imposing on streaming apps.

Isenguard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still on 3.1.2 with my iPhone 3G so my MiWi still works great so far. Only crappy part is that it does sucks battery very quickly and if you turn off the wifi broadcasting, you'll have to reset you iPhone if you want to use the wifi again or the iPad can't seem to get any signal from it anymore.

Other that, it's been a life saver here. Matter of fact I'm on it right now while typing up this post on my iPad. The wifi at this hotel totally sucks and my 3G tethering flies here. :)

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks,

my Huawei E5830 Mifi arrived today and after a few minutes of configuring I used it the first time today to get my Wifi-iPad online on 3G. ;)

Attachments

• E5830_1.jpg
    E5830_1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 429
  • E5830_2.jpg
    E5830_2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 437
  • E5830_3.jpg
    E5830_3.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 480
  • E5830_4.jpg
    E5830_4.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 4,104

dpizzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks,

my Huawei E5830 Mifi arrived today and after a few minutes of configuring I used it the first time today to get my Wifi-iPad online on 3G. ;)

How much did that set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

J.Swing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been tethering my iPad with my iPhone using MyWi and it works great! As a test, I was able to stream Neflix while taking a trip in the car. I JB all my devices the minute I get them and if I have an issue, restore them to factory settings if I have a problem and it needs to go back to Apple.

I'm also using an external Bluetooth gps by loading roqygps.

Most reactions