What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Pro 12.9 surface drawing problem with the Apple Pencil

snpat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my first Ipad a few days ago and I try as best as I can to describe my problem.

When I draw with the pencil the nib in some little areas of the glass gets kinda stuck/ runs unsmooth over the surface. This makes my pencil stroke uneven, jagged in these spots (more than tolerable).
The glass looks absolutely even. I know that the Ipad Pro has a special texture to work with the pencil. Could it be that I got an Ipad with a badly/unevenly roughed glass? I feel no differences in the surface when i run my fingers over it. Maybe someone else with the same setup can share their experiences. (Sorry, I have to sleep soon so I can't respond for the next 8-9h)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried mapping this problem to identify its shape and extent?
You could also take the iPad to an Apple Store Genius Bar to demonstrate it for them.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It sounds unusual. I've had my 12.9 iPad Pro and Pencil for several months and never encountered what you are describing. A fault in the glass seems unlikely. I recommend examining the nib very closely. You can also try trading it out with the spare that was in the box.

And clean the glass, of course. Just because you finger can't feel it doesn't mean that some thin coating isn't there that has more effect on the Pencil.

Also, make sure the nib is tight. They can work themselves loose and cause erratic behavior.

OP
S

snpat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I have sent back the Ipad to the store. I had checked the Pencil nib and the surface was also clean when I had the problem.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried your Apple Pencil on another iPad to see if the same thing happens.

Most reactions