What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Pro and pencil as a handwritten note taker

piquet00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have for many, many years worked in an IT role which requires me to make copious notes to document my to do list and how and when I completed each task. I have always written several A4 pages per day and over the years have probably got through my own height of A4 notebooks!

The advantage of keeping a dated journal is that I can cross-reference jobs I have done with file modification dates on the Linux servers I work on. The disadvantage is that I have absolutely no way of searching through a pile of handwritten notes for the information I need.

So, I really need to kick this outdated work practice out and get a tablet PC with pen that would be capable of replacing my work journals. The Ipad Pro and pencil would seem to be a great option on the hardware side, but I am struggling to find which app would be the best for me.

• Handwriting recognition is essential
  • The ability to store dated entries in a searchable document
  • Ability to draw diagrams
  • Task list functionality highly desirable - to do list with the ability to mark completed
  • Save as PDF? I'd maybe export once a month.
I would be really interested in hearing from anyone with experience of using the Ipad Pro and pencil in the way I describe.

Thanks,

Phil

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Of all the note taking apps I have, Nebo probably comes closest to what you want. It has by far the best handwriting to text engine I've seen, and it offers basic editing using the pencil. Most handwritten editors only offer the ability to erase, all other editing has to wait untl you've converted to text. Nebo also supports diagram, photo, and math attachments. You can export as text, html, pdf, or Word.

Missing is the to-do feature and the ability to have dated entries in the document.

You can have lists, just not check lists that you can mark as done, short of editing the text. Which isn't an impossible way to work. You can underline or highlight text to indicate a 'done' task, if you don't mind not having the traditional check box.

You can enter dates, but entry will be manual, and it's searchable only as text within the document, not as a date field. Or you can make each entry it's own note.

Overall, I think you might find Nebo worth a look, if you can't find something tailored more exactly to your needs.

The only other editor I can think of that comes close is Evernote. It has everything you want except handwriting to text conversion; though a paid account will make your handwriting, PDFs, and photos searchable. Hold in mind that handwriting is an afterthough in Evernote. It's geared for text entry. You can use the drawing tool to write, and it will become searchable, but that's not how Evernote is designed to work.

I don't use Evernote anymore. It got too complicated, then they wanted more money. I think it's worth the money if you need the features and are willing to put up with the leanring curve, but when they raised the price I re-evaluated my use and realized I didn't (need the features).

My current note taking is covered by a combination of Notes and Nebo. Nebo when I feel like handwriting my notes, then if it's something I feel the need to keep handy, I export to notes (after converting to text).

I also keep Notability handy, in case I ever need to annotate PDF files while attenting a meeting or class. That hasn't happened in a long while.

OP
piquet00

piquet00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi twerppoet,

Thank you for your thoughts, I have checked out the video on the Nebo website and the product looks very slick. I think I am probably expecting too much to have todo list functionality built in. If I think of how I tend to operate, I will typically gather tasks from meetings which I will write in my paper book with old fashioned ink, each with a box by it, then as time goes by the boxes get ticked.... or not! Then maybe once a month I will look back through my book and create a new consolidated list of tasks, so I know I don't need to look back any further for stuff I forgot!

In terms of date searching - actually it would be a major step for me to be able to search for a key word, backwards through time, to find the relevant note. It is more the subject matter than the date I need to search.

I don't have an iPad Pro right now - not sure how Nebo works on a standard iPad but will give it a try and see how I can best use it. I think I would rather have just one app if at all possible, but will check out Evernote and Notability. I think I have Notability already but no pencil!

Cheers,

Phil

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I suspect that Nebo will be a lot less accurate without an iPad Pro and a Pencil.

I seem to remember reading about apps that work as you describe, mostly variations of the GTD (Getting Things Done) method; but I don't know of any that use handwriten input.

I just played with Nebo's search tool. It is nothing fancy, but it does keep your last several searches handy as one-tap buttons. It also shows near misses. For instance, I searched my Spanish notes for 'los', and it also showed all 'las' hits. That could be good or bad, depending on what you're trying to do.

Some other things to keep in mind.

Because Nebo uses the Pencil to edit instead of the normal keyboard tools, there are no text selection tools. You can select blocks of text (lists, paragraphs), but not individual words or sentences. This limits your ability to copy bits and pieces to another app.

Also, if you want just a paragraph or two, you are limited to copy and paste metnods. The Share Sheet is only accessable for the entire document.

That said, it does have full multitasking support, so if another app, say a to-do list, also supports multitasking, you can use both apps side by side. Obviously this works best on the 12.9" iPad Pro, but it should still be usable on the smaller Pro.

There are rumors of a 10" iPad Pro comming out this Spring that will have a multitasking layout similar to the larger iPad Pro. If you want the flexibilty of the larger iPad Pro but a smaller size, it might be worth waiting a bit and see what Apple offers over the next month or two.

Note: The 12.9" iPad Pro has been described as letting you have two 9.6 iPad apps in portrait mode, side-by-side. The 10" iPad Pro speculation is that it would do the same, but on an iPad Mini scale. Keep in mind that this is still rumor and speculation about rumor, but there is a lot of smoke behind this rumored fire.

2nd Note: I use the Workflow app, and it is fairly easy to take some text, break each line of text down into a list, and create an ToDo for each item in the list in the Reminder app. There are probably other ways you can use it to automate repetitive tasks in your workflow; from the simple generation of a date-time stamp (I do this for Notes enteries), to hellishly complicated text manipulation using regex formulas.

Last edited:
OP
piquet00

piquet00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again twerppoet - I was thinking of waiting til they announce the new iPads before deciding which way to leap.

It seems as thought pen drive apps are still in their infancy but Nebo certainly is a strong contender for now. Thank you for checking out the search function!

Maybe, as you say, it would make sense to use two apps - one for the to do list, and the other a searchable handwritten notebook of how I did each task. It's all to do with getting older - I find I remember less these days, so tend to err on the side of caution and write a lot of stuff down!

Incidentally, have you checked out the startup "Remarkable" and the device they are developing? reMarkable In some ways it looks great - it is designed to feel like paper - a kind've Kindle you can write on. However when you look into it, really all it is is a dumb digitizer. The pen is just a plastic stylus really, there's no handwriting recognition and it costs almost as much as an iPad!

Cheers,

Phil

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, I've read about the reMarkeable device before. Like you, I think it is an interesting concept, but too limited for me to pay that much money for. If you really love paper, but want to keep iPad copies of note, then the Bamboo Smart Pad looks like a better deal, though still to rich for my budget.

If you love pen and paper, but don't have an iPad Pro with Pencil compatibilty, the Smart Pad is probably a better way to get writing and drawings into the iPad than a stylus.

I've tried neither, of couse, so I have no idea how well they live up to their promise. I have heard that you have to be carefull not to let the paper move with the Smart Pad; since it uses some kind of location tracking of the stylus, not pressure or contact sensors.

I have a couple of the cheap 7" Boogie Board Jots next to my desk for taking quick notes or doing quick memory/math exercises. The resolution is horible, but it's quick, easy, and doesn't waste paper.

Forget the companion app. It just takes a picture of the Jot, then does a crudy job of converting it to black and white.

I've considered the more expensive Boogie Board Sync, but again it's too expensive for me to buy when I already have a far more capable device. If I found one crazy cheap, I'd be tempted to pick it up to see how the document look after being transfered to the iPad.

Last edited:
OP
piquet00

piquet00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Twerppoet, the more you look at it the more options there are!

Have you tried OneNote on iPad Pro with pencil?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have OneNote, and have played with it a little. However, everything seems to be locked into OneNote, almost impossible to export or view anywhere else, so I've never tried to use it seriously.

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Of all the note taking apps I have, Nebo probably comes closest to what you want. It has by far the best handwriting to text engine I've seen, and it offers basic editing using the pencil. Most handwritten editors only offer the ability to erase, all other editing has to wait untl you've converted to text. Nebo also supports diagram, photo, and math attachments. You can export as text, html, pdf, or Word.

Missing is the to-do feature and the ability to have dated entries in the document.

You can have lists, just not check lists that you can mark as done, short of editing the text. Which isn't an impossible way to work. You can underline or highlight text to indicate a 'done' task, if you don't mind not having the traditional check box.

You can enter dates, but entry will be manual, and it's searchable only as text within the document, not as a date field. Or you can make each entry it's own note.

Overall, I think you might find Nebo worth a look, if you can't find something tailored more exactly to your needs.

The only other editor I can think of that comes close is Evernote. It has everything you want except handwriting to text conversion; though a paid account will make your handwriting, PDFs, and photos searchable. Hold in mind that handwriting is an afterthough in Evernote. It's geared for text entry. You can use the drawing tool to write, and it will become searchable, but that's not how Evernote is designed to work.

I don't use Evernote anymore. It got too complicated, then they wanted more money. I think it's worth the money if you need the features and are willing to put up with the leanring curve, but when they raised the price I re-evaluated my use and realized I didn't (need the features).

My current note taking is covered by a combination of Notes and Nebo. Nebo when I feel like handwriting my notes, then if it's something I feel the need to keep handy, I export to notes (after converting to text).

I also keep Notability handy, in case I ever need to annotate PDF files while attenting a meeting or class. That hasn't happened in a long while.
Thanks for the suggestion of Nebo. Just tried it as a general notes program and it looks and feels good. I have been using notes plus for a couple of years. I'm going to play a little with and see what happens, it could work out well for me. I to gave up on Evernote. Once again thanks for the info.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On the Remarkable tablet: I love my iPad Pro and Pencil, but I am extremely interested in Remarkable. Why? Primarily because, since it an e-ink device, it will probably be more comfortable to write on. The biggest shortcoming of the iPad is the "reflection coefficient" (one might say). Light reflection from the screen is, for me, a big problem.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
On the Remarkable tablet: I love my iPad Pro and Pencil, but I am extremely interested in Remarkable. Why? Primarily because, since it an e-ink device, it will probably be more comfortable to write on. The biggest shortcoming of the iPad is the "reflection coefficient" (one might say). Light reflection from the screen is, for me, a big problem.
MacBook Pros used to come with the option of an anti glare screen. It would be nice if that were offered as an option with the iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure you can find anti-glare screen protectors for iPads; though I'm less confident you could find one for the 12.9" model. They probably won't be as good as a purpose built screen like the Remarkable, and I suspect that using a Pencil with one will cause more rapid wear for both screen protector and the Pencile's replacable nib. But it's a thought.

Most reactions

Latest posts