What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad mini Review

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great review throwback!

I haven't seen one in the flesh as yet, but can't wait to get one!

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree on the test. I had an interest in the Note 10.1. Using it will a pen is pretty cool and useful. Some of the reviews scared me on build quality, though.

Well if there is a problem with the build quality,I sure have Not found it. I have not read of any material failures of a Galaxy 10.1 note or the Galaxy Tab2. If anyone has found a failure post it. It's been my habit to watch the Demo units at my local Best Buy, people really give the Demo's a lot of rough treatment. I look at the items I have bought like the two Galaxy's and have watched children really abuse them, and they still work well with no signs of material damage. I also do this with all the items I have bought.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well if there is a problem with the build quality,I sure have Not found it. I have not read of any material failures of a Galaxy 10.1 note or the Galaxy Tab2. If anyone has found a failure post it. It's been my habit to watch the Demo units at my local Best Buy, people really give the Demo's a lot of rough treatment. I look at the items I have bought like the two Galaxy's and have watched children really abuse them, and they still work well with no signs of material damage. I also do this with all the items I have bought.

I said I read reviews that scared me on the build quality, not that there are any failures. You can easily find reviews citing how the back of the note 10.1 flexes to the touch on the back side....for a $500 device that does seem like a problem. None of the other tablet I own have a back that flexes to the touch. Whether that leads to a failure is another question. And I have seem tablets in displays at SAMs that have been smashed beyond use, but I don't consider that an issue at all given the way those tablets were locked down to prevent people from walking off with them.

Drosera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From a former owner of a stolen iPad 2 to a new owner of the mini, I'll conclude that it's basically the same exact device shrunken down (compared to ipad 3 where you can easily note teh difference due to the retina display). I have yet to notice much of a difference on a daily usage basis. Although adding Siri was a bonus, but I'm not sure how much I'll be using her.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From a former owner of a stolen iPad 2 to a new owner of the mini, I'll conclude that it's basically the same exact device shrunken down (compared to ipad 3 where you can easily note teh difference due to the retina display). I have yet to notice much of a difference on a daily usage basis. Although adding Siri was a bonus, but I'm not sure how much I'll be using her.

Many of us here have owned the iPad 2. I would not say it is the exact same device skrunken down...but it is definitely an iPad, just smaller and lighter, which I really like. This one has better cameras front/back, has a much better look (the black one) has a better design, has a lightning connector, has Siri and dictation, and the cellular version will have LTE. But an iPad is an iPad.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I said I read reviews that scared me on the build quality, not that there are any failures. You can easily find reviews citing how the back of the note 10.1 flexes to the touch on the back side....for a $500 device that does seem like a problem. None of the other tablet I own have a back that flexes to the touch. Whether that leads to a failure is another question. And I have seem tablets in displays at SAMs that have been smashed beyond use, but I don't consider that an issue at all given the way those tablets were locked down to prevent people from walking off with them.

Well for the record my Galaxy 10.1 note does not feel as if it flex's. If I wanted I could bend any iPad that is if I was as stupid as the people bending the housings of the Galaxys. Myself what people are reading is my iPads housing is metal so it's stronger then the Galaxys housing. I will quickly post if or when I notice any dangerous flexing or my Galaxys break in half.

OP
T

throwback8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all :)! I just wanted to give an update on my experience since the iPad mini launched, and I want to start by saying I stand by my review of the device. Since I own an iPhone 5, the constant switching back and forth from retina to non retina on the mini started giving me migraines at night(I've suffered from migraines since I was 16-I'm 24 now) when I would pull out the mini for extended sessions. The mini will be absolutely perfect for some people who either haven't moved up to retina displays yet(iPad 2 or 1) or need the greatness of an iPad in a more portable size, but can deal with less sharp text. The pictures and videos actually look great on the mini, with the text being very disappointing in quality. This is what was the biggest change from retina and really started to bug me. Again I still stand by my review of the iPad mini and think it's perfect for a certain crowd, but for the $180 more I went ahead and upgraded to the iPad 4 and would score it 9.7/10 to the mini's 8.5/10. Two excellent devices from Apple, it just ended up being that the iPad 4 was for me. After a week or so more of using my iPad 4 I'll try to get a review up in the corresponding forum section. Thanks for reading and enjoy you're great iPad, no matter what size!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well for the record my Galaxy 10.1 note does not feel as if it flex's. If I wanted I could bend any iPad that is if I was as stupid as the people bending the housings of the Galaxys. Myself what people are reading is my iPads housing is metal so it's stronger then the Galaxys housing. I will quickly post if or when I notice any dangerous flexing or my Galaxys break in half.

Perhaps you should do some reading and watching videos that demonstrate the issues:

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Review: An Embarrassing, Lazy, Arrogant Money Grab

Most reactions

Latest posts