What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini is a great gaming and movie device

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, well, at least you didn't tell the Apple guy that you wanted an AT&T model Mini - right there in the store! :)

I felt like a maroon....

:D

Marilyn

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, well, at least you didn't tell the Apple guy that you wanted an AT&T model Mini - right there in the store! :)

I felt like a maroon....

:D

Marilyn

Lol. It would've been great if he'd have brought one out!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC, I meant to ask: What kind of SIM card does mini have and have you switched your data plan to it or added a new plan?

I guess you have the answer now. I'm still deciding whether to keep the wifi or not....part of me is saying that I know they will release a retina display version next year, and maybe I ought to save the money now, to minimize the loss as I know I will bite on that upgrade. But another part of me is wondering if I would really want a device with a retina screen if it means more heat, less battery life, and greater weight. I wish I could read the tea leaves and know the future.

I do know this...I'd rather have LTE in the mini than in the iPad.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I guess you have the answer now. I'm still deciding whether to keep the wifi or not....part of me is saying that I know they will release a retina display version next year, and maybe I ought to save the money now, to minimize the loss as I know I will bite on that upgrade. But another part of me is wondering if I would really want a device with a retina screen if it means more heat, less battery life, and greater weight. I wish I could read the tea leaves and know the future.

I do know this...I'd rather have LTE in the mini than in the iPad.

FWIW, I have a mifi, so whenever I buy a gadget other than a phone I always go wifi only.....my theory is that for the one off cost of my mifi I'm saving on the cost of every other device......and as 4G and future upgrades to the mobile network come along I only have one device to upgrade.......that's my theory anyway!

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
FWIW, I have a mifi, so whenever I buy a gadget other than a phone I always go wifi only.....my theory is that for the one off cost of my mifi I'm saving on the cost of every other device......and as 4G and future upgrades to the mobile network come along I only have one device to upgrade.......that's my theory anyway!

The Archangel

What kind of battery life does a mifi get?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The Archangel

I've previously ruled out mifi because I didn't want yet another device to charge, and I didn't want to be restricted by less than iPad's 10-hour battery life. But I might reconsider because I'm growing my collection of tablets and don't want to pay for data on each of them, and also don't want to be hemmed in by low data allowances.

I wonder what are the best mifi plans going offered in the U.S. -- with the longest battery life and most data allowed (unlimited?).

But I'd still get 3G/4G models, even with mifi, because of the GPS chip in iDevices.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've previously ruled out mifi because I didn't want yet another device to charge, and I didn't want to be restricted by less than iPad's 10-hour battery life. But I might reconsider because I'm growing my collection of tablets and don't want to pay for data on each of them, and also don't want to be hemmed in by low data allowances.

I wonder what are the best mifi plans going offered in the U.S. -- with the longest battery life and most data allowed (unlimited?).

But I'd still get 3G/4G models, even with mifi, because of the GPS chip in iDevices.

That is another consideration. I was thing if I got the LTE mini, I'd get the sharing plan from Verizon, $140 a month for 6gb, three devices, unlimited talk.

If you hotspot off a tablet, you get huge battery life that way.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is another consideration. I was thing if I got the LTE mini, I'd get the sharing plan from Verizon, $140 a month for 6gb, three devices, unlimited talk.

I was thinking about shared data plans, but am torn because I'd end up paying more than I do now for unlimited data on both phone and iPad. Of course, I'd be able to share data on more devices. But I have such sweetheart deals on unlimited data now. Oh well, definitely first-world probs here!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was thinking about shared data plans, but am torn because I'd end up paying more than I do now for unlimited data on both phone and iPad. Of course, I'd be able to share data on more devices. But I have such sweetheart deals on unlimited data now. Oh well, definitely first-world probs here!

I have unlimited only on my phone and to keep that I have to pay full price for the next phone. I currently use very little data. I was thinking a shared plan a 6gb would be essentially unlimited for me, most of the time. I don't plan to have more than 3 cellular devices. Heck, if I could get a mini with retina display, I'd drop that to two -- one phone, one tablet for cellular.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have unlimited only on my phone and to keep that I have to pay full price for the next phone. I currently use very little data. I was thinking a shared plan a 6gb would be essentially unlimited for me, most of the time. I don't plan to have more than 3 cellular devices. Heck, if I could get a mini with retina display, I'd drop that to two -- one phone, one tablet for cellular.

That seems reasonable.

I am leaning toward mifi over shared data because I'd like to be able to switch among many devices and not have to pay for each additional one. I just checked Verizon's shared data plan, and with three phones and four tablets at the recommended 10 GBs, I'd pay $260 a month. Ouch.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That seems reasonable.

I am leaning toward mifi over shared data because I'd like to be able to switch among many devices and not have to pay for each additional one. I just checked Verizon's shared data plan, and with three phones and four tablets at the recommended 10 GBs, I'd pay $260 a month. Ouch.

Yeah, that is a big ouch, unless you actually are sharing with multiple people, too. For just me, that would be more than I would want to pay. This takes too much thought to figure out!!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, that is a big ouch, unless you actually are sharing with multiple people, too. For just me, that would be more than I would want to pay. This takes too much thought to figure out!!

It's more than I want to pay, too. And yes, it's too much thought. (Somebody ought to create an app for it, lol.) I might be better off keeping unlimited on phone and iPad, and just buying low data on other devices.

I'd share with my husband, but he uses little data. I'm the data hog, because I stream movies on 3G when away from home. With unlimited now, I don't worry about data. I just use what I need.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:

My current one is rated at 5hrs but even using it hard Ive never run out of battery. It has mains and USB charging so I top the battery up at every possible moment.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts