What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini is a great gaming and movie device

Brianr34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I picked up a 16gb white mini at Best Buy yesterday. I am really liking it overall. Since we have an Ipad2, I do not have a problem with the non retina screen.

I really like the mini for playing games. The combination of size and light weight makes it very desirable. The graphics are great and I have had no performance issues.

The mini is also great for watching Netflix while relaxing in bed.

On paper, I agree the specs are not great for the money. For me, the mini is my new favorite electronic device at home.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree about games and movies. For games, it clearly is easier to hold than iPad because it is so light. It also makes more sound. And I think the shape of the screen makes it better than the google nexus 7 too. So, far, this thing ROCKS!!!

Martinbowden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Completely agree ideal for gaming and movies I have an ipad 3 and haven't play a game on it since picking mini up

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can see why games might be better on it, but why movies?

I watch movies on Kindle Fire original 7" in a pinch, but only if one of my iPads is charging and I want to surf on the other.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can see why games might be better on it, but why movies?

I watch movies on Kindle Fire original 7" in a pinch, but only if one of my iPads is charging and I want to surf on the other.

In my case I hold the mini in my left hand with fingers behind and thumb under the bottom, maybe 8 or 9 inches from my face. Can't do that with a full size iPad. And the image on the mini is larger than that on my nexus 7.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my case I hold the mini in my left hand with fingers behind and thumb under the bottom, maybe 8 or 9 inches from my face. Can't do that with a full size iPad. And the image on the mini is larger than that on my nexus 7.

You hold your tablet while watching movies? OK, I'm not doing that.

I use stands for reading and watching movies, so I just adjust the swinging arm of my Levo stand, for instance. If I'm stuck watching on my Kindle Fire while one of my iPads is charging, I just swing the arm closer than if watching on iPad. I have a couple of stands, but I love the Levo one. I should've bought it sooner.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You hold your tablet while watching movies? OK, I'm not doing that.

I use stands for reading and watching movies, so I just adjust the swinging arm of my Levo stand, for instance. If I'm stuck watching on my Kindle Fire while one of my iPads is charging, I just swing the arm closer than if watching on iPad. I have a couple of stands, but I love the Levo one. I should've bought it sooner.

I didn't use to. It's a mini thing. :)

But I hold it while playing games, so I do the same with the tablet. Except I was watch an episode of voyager. Few movies would I watch on a tablet.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't use to. It's a mini thing. :)

But I hold it while playing games, so I do the same with the tablet. Except I was watch an episode of voyager. Few movies would I watch on a tablet.

Glad you're loving your mini. I can enjoy vicariously through you and others.

It sure is cute. I'm staying away from places that sell it over the next few weeks, because I might succumb and buy one, and I really don't need one.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got to hold one yesterday at my local BestBuy, it was a Demo. Not for sale, all the ones they had were quickly sold. It was nice but at $329US I don't think it's in plans not right now, have to get more hands on with it. Myself don't think watching movies on a small screen is my idea of enjoyment.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Glad you're loving your mini. I can enjoy vicariously through you and others.

It sure is cute. I'm staying away from places that sell it over the next few weeks, because I might succumb and buy one, and I really don't need one.

That is wise. But you will have your iPad 4 in a few weeks with that lovely retina display and super fast processor. That is the top tablet on the market.

Now, if apple could have gotten a retina display and an a6 inside a mini at the same price and weight, with similar battery life and thermal characteristics, the mini would be this tablet to have. As thing stand now, we can't get both from apple for various reasons.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got to hold one yesterday at my local BestBuy, it was a Demo. Not for sale, all the ones they had were quickly sold. It was nice but at $329US I don't think it's in plans not right now, have to get more hands on with it. Myself don't think watching movies on a small screen is my idea of enjoyment.

I agree. Any movie I'm serious about I'm not going to watch on any tablet, unless I'm on travel and have little else to do.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC, I meant to ask: What kind of SIM card does mini have and have you switched your data plan to it or added a new plan?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll answer for the Admiral: the Minis with SIM cards have not been released in the wild yet. The only ones available are the WiFi-only models.

But, according to the manual just released, Apple says it will be a 'Nano SIM card" (at least that's how it's labeled in the diagram). So, what, that's the same card as the iPhone 5, right?

Marilyn

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll answer for the Admiral: the Minis with SIM cards have not been released in the wild yet. The only ones available are the WiFi-only models.

But, according to the manual just released, Apple says it will be a 'Nano SIM card" (at least that's how it's labeled in the diagram). So, what, that's the same card as the iPhone 5, right?

Marilyn

Thanks, Marilyn. Forgot that 4G minis still not available.

Most reactions