What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad jailbreak questions

Timey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello again everybody, like i said in my welcome post I'm from italy and I'd be very very glad to everyone if you keep answers simple. I have an Ipad 1 from about 1 year and a few days and now I'd like to try the jailbreak, a question that i think everyone asks is about the risks, I used the search function and read plenty of threads about this but i wanted to be personally sure, what's the worst case scenario that could ever happen?:) I read that it cannot be bricked (which if i u derstand correctly means that it cannot get destroyed so like that it won't turn on, please correct me if i didn't understand properly) but someone said that there's a slight chance so i was wondering about the worst case scenario. In the remote case that it can be bricked(which i don't know whether it can or not) can i somehow repair it by doing the reset? I was also wondering when and if i'll jailbreak it will i still be able to upgrade the firmware(which should be ios4.3 ecc. Please correct me here again if i'm wrong) and if it can is that also risky or not? I've just read a guide abput that but i couldn't figure out the meaning of many words because they were acronym i think or thechnical words that i don't really know. If i'll try the jailbreak and i'd like my Ipad back as it was i read that i can do the reset but someone said that even that way it MAY not become again exactly as it was, is this true? Or was that the worst case scenario?:) right now I have a mac and a windows computers, if i try the jailbreak are they alike? I mean is the jailbreak from windows the same as the mac one? Just one last question, when it's jail broken will be there any other risks of bricming it or something like that?Thanks everyone, I'm sorry if i might have bored you with these questions and with this long post but i wanted to be sure about all the risks. Thanks again and please forgive me for my not very good english, if anything isn't clear i'll try to explain it again as good as humanly possible for me:) thank you!!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To keep it simple, the iPad cannot be bricked under any circumstances because of the jailbreak.

The worst that can happen is you will have to perform a restore in iTunes and this will wipe the iPad and reinstall the latest iOS version, e.g 4.3.4. There can be no trace of the JB left behind with a restore so it is safe.

If you have further questions please post which iPad model you have and current version of iOS installed. E.g iPad2 3G GSM 4.3.4 Thanks.

OP
T

Timey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an Ipad 1 which isn't 3g, sorry but i don't know what it's called, ios 4.3.4 and it has 64gb.

Edit:I've just read some information about tethered and untethered, what i didn't understand is if with ios 4.3.4 i can't jailbreak it for untetherd and i only can get tethered, did i understand well? Thanks(i think the last sentence didn't make much sense:( )

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm afraid if you have iPad1 already at 4.3.4 your only option today is a tethered jailbreak as explained in this thread - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24377-jailbreaking-methods-ipad.html

You're only option would be to use redsn0w. You can see the tutorial here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...tutorial-jailbreak-ipad1-redsn0w-windows.html

Make sure your read both those thread in detail and understand what thathered means. If you have a tethered JB, EVERY TIME you reboot your iPad you MUST use the redsn0w tool to help it boot. Otherwise it will not start.

If you are keep to jailbreak then by all means give it a shot, but it is not the best introduction to the world of jailbreaking. However, that said I lived with a tethered jailbreak for several months and it was not a problem for me. The iPad really does not need restarted very often once you have installed the basic JB apps. You can find out about those here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/25824-ultimate-list-jailbreak-tweaks.html

Hope that helps.

OP
T

Timey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, this helped a lot. I've just started reading your very detailed guide and well i have some questions: you say that with redsnow i need an ipad which is alredy upgraded to the IOS version i want to jailbreak, this means that if i have an ipad 4.3.4 that's the version i'll have after jail break?
I couldn't understand anything at all about SSH Blob but if i want to jailbreak the ipad to the 4.3.4 i don't need it right?
Then you say that redsn0w relies on having a full copy of the IOS firmware IPSW file to create its payload does this means that if i want all the apps that i alredy have plus saved game data i need to copy everything to the computer? (how can i copy saved game data?^^ i only know how to copy apps but not actual game data) you say then that i should download the correct firmware file(which is IOS if i understood correctly) matching my current version on my ipad, this means that i should download so that would be the copy that you spoke about above right? I think i understood the rest thanks for help and sorry if i didn't understand these simple things i think but the thread was a bit hard for me to understand since like i said i'm not english^^ thanks again.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
1. Yes, you are stuck with 4.3.4 so you must jailbreak that.
2. For your Apps all you have to do is Sync with iTunes before you start. That creates a backup of your iPad apps and settings, saved games etc. Just press sync and allow it to complete.
3. You just need a copy of the 4.3.4 IPSW firmware file for iPad1 from the link I provided in the tutorial.
4. Once the jailbreak is complete, you must connect with iTunes and restore your backup. The first time you connect the jailbroken device to iTunes it will ask you if you want to restore from backup and you should say yes. This will put all your apps and settings back on it. It may take a while to re-sync all your data! The iPad will reboot. Leave it connected to iTunes until the process is completed.
5. Finally, you must reboot tethered using the last step in the redsn0w tutorial again. Remember to do this or Cydia will not run and neither will Safari!

Ignore SHSH Blobs for now.

OP
T

Timey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How can i sync the ipad in order that it'll copy all that the ipad has to the computer and not the opposite? i usually don't sync it because i noticed that if i do that i lose all the music, movies ecc.
P.S. I think this was the last question then i'll try the jailbreak^^ thank you very very VERY much for help

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
connect ipad to itunes, in itunes you will see your ipad in the left window, right click on your ipad, choose transfer purchases first, then backup after, you're done.

OP
T

Timey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just have one last question about the DFU mode, i start the redsnow tutorial with the ipad ON then when the tutorial says that i have to turn it off i do that and then the first step of the DFU mode is to turn it on not off right? So i shut it down then 2 secs power button ecc.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just have one last question about the DFU mode, i start the redsnow tutorial with the ipad ON then when the tutorial says that i have to turn it off i do that and then the first step of the DFU mode is to turn it on not off right? So i shut it down then 2 secs power button ecc.

It really does not matter if the device is on or off. Turning off is just an easier place to start as the first step of DFU is to press the power button.

OP
T

Timey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i did it!! Ehm... this is the last question, is there anything else i should do now? i talked with a friend which knows about these things but never actually done and he said something about ssh that i had to do after the jailbreak. Thanks a lot for help

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i did it!! Ehm... this is the last question, is there anything else i should do now? i talked with a friend which knows about these things but never actually done and he said something about ssh that i had to do after the jailbreak. Thanks a lot for help

sorry bud, but you have to do some research too, i know you do and then come to clarify, but always start with "how to" on here or google and you should be good.

here goes, look for this one "HOW TO - Use Secure Shell (SSH) with the iPad" under Jailbreaking & Hacking Tutorials & How-To Guides - Apple iPad Forum

and this one for general info iPad Hacking - Apple iPad Forum

Last edited:
OP
T

Timey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ehm, actually i did plenty of search but couldn't find anything, what i meant wasn't about transfering files from the ipad to the computer he may have said something not right i don't know that but he spoke aout ssh and said that i had to do something to ensure no1 used my internet adsl, he said that if i didn't did that any1 even from far away could enter in my ipad and use internet even if they didn't know my router psw, he may be wrong i don't know that, i tried all kind of search on google but couldn't find anything

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What your friend is probably talking about is changing your iPad's root and mobile passwords.

This is only necessary if - and only if - you install the Cydia tweak OpenSSH. This is because this tweak essentially opens your iPad up for others to see. It's as if it's constantly broadcasting and people with not-so-nice tendancies may take advantage of that.

If you have not installed OpenSSH - don't worry about it. If you have, then search for how to change your root and mobile passwords.

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ehm, actually i did plenty of search but couldn't find anything, what i meant wasn't about transfering files from the ipad to the computer he may have said something not right i don't know that but he spoke aout ssh and said that i had to do something to ensure no1 used my internet adsl, he said that if i didn't did that any1 even from far away could enter in my ipad and use internet even if they didn't know my router psw, he may be wrong i don't know that, i tried all kind of search on google but couldn't find anything

And the information on how to do that is in the article which Poser directed you, so please don't be so quick to dismiss when other are trying to help you. It's not our fault your friend doesn't know how to explain things to you. There is clearly a section in that guide about changing your SSH password.
Everything you need to know is in the SSH guide I wrote - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...ides/28213-how-use-secure-shell-ssh-ipad.html. That is not the same one which discusses file transfer.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts