What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

confused by the many details of jailbreaking my device... some basic questions.

bobthebob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi there, first off let me say that i HAVE been reading the tutorials and while they are well written and do explain about 90% of what i need to know i am still hazy on certain points... so i'm just going to ask a few basic questions specific to my device and hope no one is offended!

i have a new iPad 4 (bought from Best Buy) that is running iOS 6.0.1.
As far as i understand it - the following are true:
  • the Evasi0n 1.5.3 tool will jailbreak my iPad
  • it is NOT possible for me to restore to my current version of iOS however if i ever need to restore because:
  • saving my SHSH Blobs will NOT work for restoring my iPad 4 if it is ever updated to 6.1.3 and there is NO (untethered) jailbreak currently for 6.1.3
  • after jailbreaking, my iOS version will still read 6.0.1 (?)
  • there is NO WAY for me to retain (or restore) my (unthethered) jailbreak if i ever need to restore to stock because for now there is NO WAY to upgrade to 6.1.2 because is no longer 'signed'
  • there will most likely not be another jailbreak until iOS 7
  • regardless tho - i can ALWAYS recover my iPad to a stock (current) version of iOS if i need to - in other words, altho i will lose my jailbreak, i can't 'brick' the device
so - is all that correct then?

does that mean that i shouldn't worry about my SHSH Blobs? Tiny Umbrella returned an error when i tried to save them... and then i read an article here that as far as i understood it said it wont do any good to back them up anyway.

i'm eager to Jailbreak this sucker and free MY hardware from Apple's crushing embrace - but i don't want to **** up my $700 (with Applecare) new toy!!!

i await your guidance!

bbcakes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, yeah. There's no jailbreak for the newest iOS version. I would recommend reading/watching more tutorials on how to save your shsh blobs if you ever wanted/needed to restore. So now, it's your decision if you want the newest iOS or try jailbreaking. You can always restore and have the newest one.
Jailbreak is completely safe and easy to do. You won't **** up your expensive toy :p

Last edited:
OP
B

bobthebob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks, appreciate the answers... but when i tried to back up my SHSH Blobs i got an error (don't remember which one) from Tiny Umbrella - then there are several articles which categorically state that it is NOT POSSIBLE to use them to restore anymore since Apple is no longer signing 6.1.2 and there is no JB for 6.1.3

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hi there, first off let me say that i HAVE been reading the tutorials and while they are well written and do explain about 90% of what i need to know i am still hazy on certain points... so i'm just going to ask a few basic questions specific to my device and hope no one is offended!

i have a new iPad 4 (bought from Best Buy) that is running iOS 6.0.1.
As far as i understand it - the following are true:

[*]the Evasi0n 1.5.3 tool will jailbreak my iPad

True.

[*]it is NOT possible for me to restore to my current version of iOS however if i ever need to restore because:

[*]saving my SHSH Blobs will NOT work for restoring my iPad 4 if it is ever updated to 6.1.3 and there is NO (untethered) jailbreak currently for 6.1.3

True.

[*]after jailbreaking, my iOS version will still read 6.0.1 (?)

Yes.

[*]there is NO WAY for me to retain (or restore) my (unthethered) jailbreak if i ever need to restore to stock because for now there is NO WAY to upgrade to 6.1.2 because is no longer 'signed'

True.

[*]there will most likely not be another jailbreak until iOS 7

True.

[*]regardless tho - i can ALWAYS recover my iPad to a stock (current) version of iOS if i need to - in other words, altho i will lose my jailbreak, i can't 'brick' the device
[/LIST]so - is all that correct then?

Yep! :)

does that mean that i shouldn't worry about my SHSH Blobs? Tiny Umbrella returned an error when i tried to save them... and then i read an article here that as far as i understood it said it wont do any good to back them up anyway.

i'm eager to Jailbreak this sucker and free MY hardware from Apple's crushing embrace - but i don't want to **** up my $700 (with Applecare) new toy!!!

i await your guidance!

You won't mess up your iPad. The worse that can happen is that, if something were to go wrong, you can always restore to the most current firmware authorized by Apple (which is 6.1.3 today). If you stick to the tried and true jail break tweaks, your iPad will be fine running,jail broken. See this for a great list of tweaks: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=25824

And, you are correct, SHSH blobs cannot be saved right now for iOS 6.1.3 (the tool hasn't been updated to do this) and you can't save blobs for any other version as Apple is no longer authorizing those versions. But, it's as you said - the blobs are no good as of today, anyway; there is no method to use them developed today. And, saving them is a separate step from jail breaking, anyway.

So,,go ahead, jail break the iPad on that iOS 6.0.1. As long as you take care of it (don't go "wild and crazy" with untested tweaks), it will serve you well.

Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
B

bobthebob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PERFECT!

thanks so much for the clear answers! much appreciated!

-bennett

Most reactions