What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad battery draining COMPLETELY overnight

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The multitasking feature makes you lose 3 hours of battery. If you use your iPad as a iPod then you need the iPod app running in other to listen to music in the background.

It does? Are you serious? I don't think this has ever happened to me ~ has it happened to you?

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read that multitasking makes you lose 3 hours. I don't have a iPod so I use the iPad and the iPad won't use the musicplayer deamon to listen to music in the background instead it needs the music player app playing as well as the musicplayer deamon. I did manage to find out that the YouTube app can run in the background while sleeping or in apps that don't stop the music while running the app, just for those who don't know.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But there is no real multiTask on iPAD !!!
Only real multitask is hearing music while running some other application

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But there is no real multiTask on iPAD !!! Only real multitask is hearing music while running some other application

Depends on which definition of "multitasking" you are using. In multi-programming mode, there is only one task running on the CPU until a triggering event (whether user or computer-driven) causes the task to be swapped out of CPU, which is what you see on iOS.

You're probably thinking of time-shared multitasking (although the term "time-shared" itself is quite obsolete), in which several programs appear to run simultaneously (to human perception) because the tasks are time-sliced within the CPU in quick succession.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
peled said:
But there is no real multiTask on iPAD !!!
Only real multitask is hearing music while running some other application

When you listen to music you use the musicplayer daemon. You can have real multitasking but then you'll have to jailbreak your iPad

AssassinJN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah hah!

I have had this same problem twice now on seemingly random nights with no noticeable change in my use behaviors (always had it set to autolock never as I am a developer). This morning I decided to google it while I wait for it to charge and this post kick started my brain. What happened to me (and I am guessing is probably the culprit for you) is that you put your ipad to sleep the same as you always do, but that you had received a pop-up notification (in my case a calendar reminder that I had just started using more of). In my case the notification was set to a day before a 4:30m event and I was at my mother-in-laws until later in the night and hadn't looked at my ipad until the following morning, over 13 hours later and plenty of time to drain a battery.

Update: so here's an interesting (embarassing?) twist. I noticed last night that I had left the settings so that my iPad would autolock NEVER. I must have been reading something and never set it back. Out of curiosity I set it back to autolock after 2 min, and my iPad did not lose its charge over night.

It doesn't seem to me that that should make a big difference, since when I lock the iPad the screen goes dark and shouldn't be a drain on the battery. But perhaps I accidentally hit the lock button again, or pushed it against something that turned the screen back on (at full brightness) and left it on all night?

Sheesh. :eek:

Last edited:

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I saw a report somewhere that using a Bluetooth device can deplete the battery faster than normal, but I don't know if this is true.

It may be, as I do know that my Bluetooth headphones will last around 8 hours if BT is used, but as much as 10 hours with BT switched off and the phono cable used instead.

However, the battery in the headphones has a much smaller capacity, so BT is likely to consume a proportionately larger amount of its power than would be the case with the iPad battery.

rbehrami

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello boys

Can someone help me. I have a apple ipad for a year but before a week my ipad was turned off due of battery loss power (0%).

After a week I have tried to charge the battery but my ipad doesn't charge but every 3 or 5 seconds show white screen with apple in the middle.

Thanks for understanding

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The fact that it shows the white Apple logo every few seconds is an indication that the iPad is trying to power up but that the battery charge is too low. You need to make sure it's switched off and then charge it for several hours and try again.

Tim

rbehrami

iPF Noob
Reaction score
how can i be sure that ipad is switched off because when i put the ipad in charger every time show the whit screen with apple in the middel doesn't stop showing this screen every 3 or 5 seconds.

Most reactions

Latest posts