What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad battery draining COMPLETELY overnight

ansalong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all! I am new to the forum. I've had my iPad for 6 months with no trouble at all, and my iTouch for about a year, also with no trouble.

Yesterday I woke up to find my iPad battery completely drained, having left it at, I think, around 60% when I went to bed. I sleep it, not turn it off.

I thought maybe I had left an app open that was draining my battery. So last night I did a fresh reboot, closed all my apps from the multitasking tray and put the iPad in airplane mode. It was at 80%. When I woke up this morning the battery was drained to dead again. It wouldn't wake up, just asked for charging.

I have not downloaded any new apps in the past few weeks, nor am I doing anything differently than I usually do. I leave iPad on my kitchen table overnight so I can read the news, etc. over breakfast. It is not subject to extreme temperatures, animals, or acts of god. All my apps are up to date, and I keep them updated regularly.

I can't find anything on Google that looks this drastic. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it just time to bring it in to the store?

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not normal. Bring it back. Man, I feel your pain. I hate it when my gadgets aren't working perfectly, and my iPad is nearest to my heart.

Sync before bringing it back because they will probably give you a new one. But look on the bright side - you get a new one!

OP
ansalong

ansalong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Booooooo, I was afraid someone would say that. I guess it could be worse if they actually just give me a new one. Wish I could get a free iPad 2, though I really like this one!

Should I remove all my apps after synching? I am wiggy about possibly giving it back to them with personal info stored somewhere.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have anything else to offer, but I am really curious about this -- "Future mother to a pet penguin"

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Booooooo, I was afraid someone would say that. I guess it could be worse if they actually just give me a new one. Wish I could get a free iPad 2, though I really like this one!

Should I remove all my apps after synching? I am wiggy about possibly giving it back to them with personal info stored somewhere.

I had to return and iPad for charging as slow as molasses - it would charge about 20% with an overnight charge....

Anyways - back up, then do a restore as a new iPad, it will clear everything, and make it like new... Take it back to the store, get your new one, and after initializing do a restore to what ever your old back up was named... Easy!

OP
ansalong

ansalong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1991-C4 said:
I don't have anything else to offer, but I am really curious about this -- "Future mother to a pet penguin"

Just dorky wishful thinking. I really like pengies.

OP
ansalong

ansalong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pluto6 said:
I had to return and iPad for charging as slow as molasses - it would charge about 20% with an overnight charge....

Anyways - back up, then do a restore as a new iPad, it will clear everything, and make it like new... Take it back to the store, get your new one, and after initializing do a restore to what ever your old back up was named... Easy!

Thanks pluto6. That seems easy enough.
That is super slow! And I thought mine charged slowly...

OP
ansalong

ansalong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update: so here's an interesting (embarassing?) twist. I noticed last night that I had left the settings so that my iPad would autolock NEVER. I must have been reading something and never set it back. Out of curiosity I set it back to autolock after 2 min, and my iPad did not lose its charge over night.

It doesn't seem to me that that should make a big difference, since when I lock the iPad the screen goes dark and shouldn't be a drain on the battery. But perhaps I accidentally hit the lock button again, or pushed it against something that turned the screen back on (at full brightness) and left it on all night?

Sheesh. :eek:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We feel the distant glow of your blushes.....:)

Glad it's sorted as I've never managed to run my batteries out yet.

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update: so here's an interesting (embarassing?) twist. I noticed last night that I had left the settings so that my iPad would autolock NEVER. I must have been reading something and never set it back. Out of curiosity I set it back to autolock after 2 min, and my iPad did not lose its charge over night.

It doesn't seem to me that that should make a big difference, since when I lock the iPad the screen goes dark and shouldn't be a drain on the battery. But perhaps I accidentally hit the lock button again, or pushed it against something that turned the screen back on (at full brightness) and left it on all night?

Sheesh. :eek:

More likely you have push notifications, checking for e-mail, checking for bluetooth, and perhaps other things on. Those things will all turn on (depending on your settings) every few minutes looking for the notifications, devices, mail, etc... Even with the auto off enabled. Without turning it completely off, it is just sleeping, and does not neccessarily turn the screen on to do work. A large culprit is the mail and push notifications. You might want to go into the settings, and change those settings to either off (manually get information) or every several hours. I think that the default is relatively short, but I can't remember. Anyways, glad that the major issue is resolved.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The multitasking feature makes you lose 3 hours of battery. If you use your iPad as a iPod then you need the iPod app running in other to listen to music in the background.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The multitasking feature makes you lose 3 hours of battery.
Please quote your source for this. There is no factual basis for this statement. Multi-tasking might cause a very slight reduction in battery life, but not a full 1/3 of it!

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The multitasking feature makes you lose 3 hours of battery. If you use your iPad as a iPod then you need the iPod app running in other to listen to music in the background.

I was also going to ask for clarification what "lose 3 hours of battery" means exactly (something to qualify how that number was arrived at would be useful.)

OP
ansalong

ansalong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More likely you have push notifications, checking for e-mail, checking for bluetooth, and perhaps other things on. Those things will all turn on (depending on your settings) every few minutes looking for the notifications, devices, mail, etc... Even with the auto off enabled. Without turning it completely off, it is just sleeping, and does not neccessarily turn the screen on to do work. A large culprit is the mail and push notifications. You might want to go into the settings, and change those settings to either off (manually get information) or every several hours. I think that the default is relatively short, but I can't remember. Anyways, glad that the major issue is resolved.

Thanks! That is great advice, I'll look into my settings.

OP
ansalong

ansalong

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I'm not sure how to quantify 3 hours, but I never lose that much charge to multitasking. I don't typically use my iPad as an iPod, as I have an iPod touch, but even when I do occasionally play music or NPR in the background it doesn't drain the battery very quickly.

Either way that was not the culprit this time, as I closed all my programs before losing battery.

Most reactions

Latest posts