What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 has no sound except for earphones

kensob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have the iPad 3 for about six months. Everything was fine till the sound went out this week. It works fine for with the earphones but nothing from the speakers. We have looked at other posts and tried everything. Once we plugged in the cord and the unplugged it and it worked for a couple minutes and then back to no sound. We have reset with the cord in, reset without the cord in, changed the settings, etc all to no avail. We have not tried erasing all settings and data and then restoring from the cloud as of yet.

One interesting item is that while having the music running there is no slider bar available until you plug the earphones in. Unplug and it goes away. While it is running you can pull up Siri and sound is activated only while that is active. The slider bar appears in music and disappears when Siri is no longer active. Anyone have any suggestions?

Madmax007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this... But have u tried a soft reset? Just hold the power button at the top and the home button for a few seconds. Your iPad will restart.

HTH

OP
K

kensob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I have. Nothing seems to work.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We have the iPad 3 for about six months. Everything was fine till the sound went out this week. It works fine for with the earphones but nothing from the speakers. We have looked at other posts and tried everything. Once we plugged in the cord and the unplugged it and it worked for a couple minutes and then back to no sound. We have reset with the cord in, reset without the cord in, changed the settings, etc all to no avail. We have not tried erasing all settings and data and then restoring from the cloud as of yet.

One interesting item is that while having the music running there is no slider bar available until you plug the earphones in. Unplug and it goes away. While it is running you can pull up Siri and sound is activated only while that is active. The slider bar appears in music and disappears when Siri is no longer active. Anyone have any suggestions?

G'day Ken. My apologies if you have already tried these, if not, they have been known to help re sound problems.
** With the iPad in landscape mode, has the volume toggle switch top LHS been moved to zero sound?
** In Settings>General>Sounds - is the sound slider "On"
** Double click the home button and swipe the task bar to the right. Does the Sound icon have a bar through it to close sound?
** In Settings >General>Reset tap "Reset all Settings". All your preferences and settings will be reset ( which as you say can be restored), but you still retain your features such as contacts and calendars and media such as your songs and videos.
Reading your post, you may well have tried these but I thought I would ask anyway.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PrivatePilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the ipad but other devices use the jack to switch from speaker to headset. If the contact in the jack is 'dirty', when the headset plug is removed the speaker circuit is lost. A contact cleaner used lightly might work. Keek the cleaner off other areas though!

Good luck. PP

Most reactions

Latest posts