What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No sound on the earphones

Maga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My mini-retina lost the sound when using the earphones while watching/listening to YT videos but the audio functions normally through the speakers. I tried 3 different earphones but nothing changes. I have no idea what might have happened. Thank you very much for your help.
Maga

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just in case, let's start with the simple. The iPad maintains a different volume level settings for when you are using the speakers and headphones. Make sure you turn up the volume, check the Sound settings, and make sure Mute is turned off in Control center when you have the headphones plugged in.

If all that is good and you haven't done so yet, try a reset (hold down the home and power buttons until the Apple Logo appears).

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Maga - if the above suggestions do not solve your issue, then obtain a can of compressed air and do a couple of gentle 'blasts' into the jack area - I'm also assuming that nothing is stuck @ the bottom of the opening (this would be unlikely if your jacks still seat themselves completely).

Finally, have you put a new cover on the iPad that might be preventing the jacks from fully inserting? I've had this as a problem before w/ certain covers over the years. Let us know. Dave :)

OP
Maga

Maga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I checked the volume and sound settings , seems everything is correct. Also did the reset. The strange thing is that it happened while I was pulling a video back and since then the iPad lost the sound. Also cheked the earphones that are fully inserted.

OP
Maga

Maga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're right, nothing is stuck @ the bottom of the opening, the jacks seat completely.
The cover on the iPad is the same and only one that I have since I have it more than 1year.
The strange thing is that it happened while I was pulling a video back to listen once again a small part of a music and since then the iPad lost the sound.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You're right, nothing is stuck @ the bottom of the opening, the jacks seat completely.
The cover on the iPad is the same and only one that I have since I have it more than 1year.
The strange thing is that it happened while I was pulling a video back to listen once again a small part of a music and since then the iPad lost the sound.

Hello again - not sure that the statement above in bold is nothing but coincidental? But if not already done, give the compressed air blasts a try - the compressed air cans used around computers usually come w/ a little straw-like plastic tube that can be inserted into the jack opening - just a few gentle blasts - let us know. Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the headphone jack is a switch that is supposed to disconnect the speaker and activate the headphone circuit when a headphone plug is inserted into the jack. It's possible that this switch is malfunctioning, preventing the speakers from switching off and the headphone circuit from activating. If there's nothing obvious, like dust or debris blocking the switch, the switch itself may have failed.

If the headphone jack appears perfectly normal, it may be worthwhile making a Genius Bar appointment at an Apple Store to have the iPad checked out.

Last edited:
OP
Maga

Maga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need to apologise, that bold sure was by accident.
I am going to try your suggestion. Thank you.

OP
Maga

Maga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the headphone jack is a swathe headphone jack contains a switch that is supposed to disconnect the speaker and activate the headphone circuit when a headphone plug is inserted into the jack. It's possible that this switch is malfunctioning, preventing the speakers from switching off and the headphone circuit from activating. If there's nothing obvious, like dust or debris blocking the switch, the switch itself may have failed.

If the headphone jack appears perfectly normal, it may be worthwhile making a Genius Bar appointment at an Apple Store to have the iPad checked out.

Tried 3 sets of earphones and the computer airplay system. The headphones (1) and earphones (3) I have, none of them has a switch. There's nothing obvious, nothing I can find, iPad wasn't in dusty environments.
In case I really have to take it to an Apple store is there any security proceeding I must have? Thank you very much.

OP
Maga

Maga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello again - not sure that the statement above in bold is nothing but coincidental? But if not already done, give the compressed air blasts a try - the compressed air cans used around computers usually come w/ a little straw-like plastic tube that can be inserted into the jack opening - just a few gentle blasts - let us know. Dave :)
I need to apologise, that bold sure was by accident.
I am going to try your suggestion. Thank you.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tried 3 sets of earphones and the computer airplay system. The headphones (1) and earphones (3) I have, none of them has a switch. There's nothing obvious, nothing I can find, iPad wasn't in dusty environments.
In case I really have to take it to an Apple store is there any security proceeding I must have? Thank you very much.
You should back up your iPad before going to the Apple Store. If they're able to fix the problem it may result in an erased iPad. If so, you can restore the iPad and set it up from the back up you made. If there's a cost for the repair, they'll tell you. What the repair cost is.

OP
Maga

Maga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much.
So this means it might be hardware and there isn't much more I can do ?

OP
Maga

Maga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really, there are things unexplainable.
Checked everything once again from the beginning, took the cover out, used the blower of my camera to be sure I was following all your advices ( I don't have the can), checked sound volume once again with and without earphones testing with my own recordings and also YT, where I was when sound was gone; saying this I mean that I tried different sound sources one by one, et voilá! Sound volume had gone back to the lowest level with the earphones. It's working fine now! Maybe some little dust which I could not see, maybe some "whatever-I-don't-know". Anyway I want to thank you all for your help. I hope this will be useful for somebody who comes after me.
Maga

Most reactions

Latest posts