What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sound / earphones issue

sparklingtechie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad4 with retina display and until 2 hours ago it was working fine. It now only plays sounds / audio through only 1 jack on the earphones. I checked the earphones in my phone and they work. I checked the iPad with sons earphones and same problem. Therefore it's the iPad not the earphones. I went into settings/ general/access ability/ hearing. The slider setting is at midway point.

Anyone have any constructive ideas?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your iPad is still under warranty so you should consider having it checked out at an Apple store. If you do take it in, do a backup before you go. That way, if you get a replacement, you can set it up from the backup.

Before going to the Apple store, shine a strong light into the headphone jack to see if there's any foreign matter there. If there is. Try a small nozzle on a vacuum cleaner to try and suck it out.

OP
S

sparklingtechie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello

Unfortunately my nearest apple store is about 80 miles away and as a non car driver it would cost me less to get a new iPad! I did try blowing in the socket to see if there was any dust or whatever but nothing's come out. If I restore it to factory settings to see if that helps would I be able to re download all the stuff I paid for without repaying (music, games etc).

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello

Unfortunately my nearest apple store is about 80 miles away and as a non car driver it would cost me less to get a new iPad! I did try blowing in the socket to see if there was any dust or whatever but nothing's come out. If I restore it to factory settings to see if that helps would I be able to re download all the stuff I paid for without repaying (music, games etc).

Anything in your iTunes and AppStore purchase history will still be there and ready for download without paying again.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple has a mail in option for people who can't visit an Apple store in person. Did you purchase AppleCare+ with your iPad? AppleCare includes 2 years of free telephone technical support.

OP
S

sparklingtechie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has a mail in option for people who can't visit an Apple store in person. Did you purchase AppleCare+ with your iPad? AppleCare includes 2 years of free telephone technical support.

I purchased some sort of cover with it yes. Since opening this thread I did go to the apple site and book a callback just in case this is a known issue and they might have another fix.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's brilliant. I will try a factory re set.

Backup your iPad first, that way the iPad can be set up from the stored backup. If the problem is hardware related, though, a trip to the Apple store or use of the mail in option is warranted.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts