What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

no sound with speakers, only earphones

Blu3Moon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
as the topic says, i got no sound with my speakers on my ipad,only when i plug in my earphones i got sound. when i also try to adjust the volum settings on the right side of the ipad, it says earphones even when my earphones is not pluged in.

It sounds like my ipad has locked the sound so it only works with earphones/headsets.

i have tried to reboot it, but its still the same problem. Is there anything in the settings i have to do to unlock this?

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
as the topic says, i got no sound with my speakers on my ipad,only when i plug in my earphones i got sound. when i also try to adjust the volum settings on the right side of the ipad, it says earphones even when my earphones is not pluged in.

It sounds like my ipad has locked the sound so it only works with earphones/headsets.

i have tried to reboot it, but its still the same problem. Is there anything in the settings i have to do to unlock this?

OK - this definitely sounds like a faulty earphone plug - i.e. one that's detecting an earphone even though there isn't one plugged in....but let's just try some lateral thinking....

(a) is the iPad in a dock or is it plugged into the charger? If so, remove it from the dock or unplug the charger and try again. We've had a case recently of a faulty charger/dock plug that convinces the iPad it's connected to a headset.

(b) is it paired with a Bluetooth headset that's possibly in range?

OK - probably these are not going to work, but it's probably worth a try.

Tim

OP
B

Blu3Moon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
OK - this definitely sounds like a faulty earphone plug - i.e. one that's detecting an earphone even though there isn't one plugged in....but let's just try some lateral thinking....

(a) is the iPad in a dock or is it plugged into the charger? If so, remove it from the dock or unplug the charger and try again. We've had a case recently of a faulty charger/dock plug that convinces the iPad it's connected to a headset.

Tim

its not plugged into a charger now. All this happened today when i woke up. I had the ipad plugged in to the charger this night before i went to sleep. I also used the earphones with my ipad before i went to bed and charged it. The bluetooth is off. But a weird thing is when i go to the settings and sound settings and i try to adjust the volume there, the sound come, also when i try to change the ringetones. But it wont work on youtube, safari or ipod. And again it says earphones when i try to adjust the sound bar on the right of the ipad when the earphones is not plugged in....

One thing to mention is that i sometimes lock the ipad to landscape. Can that affect the sound output? Cause i locked the ipad yesterday having the earphones plugged in before i charged it

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim

its not plugged into a charger now. All this happened today when i woke up. I had the ipad plugged in to the charger this night before i went to sleep. I also used the earphones with my ipad before i went to bed and charged it. The bluetooth is off. But a weird thing is when i go to the settings and sound settings and i try to adjust the volume there, the sound come, also when i try to change the ringetones. But it wont work on youtube, safari or ipod. And again it says earphones when i try to adjust the sound bar on the right of the ipad when the earphones is not plugged in....

One thing to mention is that i sometimes lock the ipad to landscape. Can that affect the sound output? Cause i locked the ipad yesterday having the earphones plugged in before i charged it

What version of iOS are you running. As you know, in iOS 4.3 and beyond they made it possible to re-assign the function of the mute switch, which in iOS 4.2 had been fixed as the switch next to the volume control. In 4.3 it is possible in 'Settings' to change the function of that switch from Mute to Orientation Lock and back. Maybe you've got it set to Mute? Double-tap the Home button to open up the multi-task bar, flick the screen to the right and, at the far left - adjacent to the iPod controls (N.B. iPod not iPad) - will be the other control - i.e. this control can do either mute or orientation lock and it swaps with the physical mute switch next to the volume control.

But it doesn't sound like this is the problem, because you get that Headphone indication when you try to change the volume and that certainly means the iPad 'thinks' there's a headset plugged in.

You say you've power recycled the iPad - i.e. pressed and held the Power switch until the slider control appears, accepted the offer to shut down, waited until the screen was completely blank and then powered on again.

I can't recall now, but there's one last thing to try - and that's a reboot. With the iPad switched off, press and hold the Power and Home buttons simultaneously until the white Apple logo appears. This can take quite a time - about 15 seconds, but it will eventually....

The iPad will then reboot - again it takes some time. Then try again and see what happens....

Good Luck and let us know - we'll crack this yet!!

Tim

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried turning up the volume when the earphones are unplugged. iOS has separate volume memory for both states, so you can have volume set to zero with no headphones than crank to full blast when you plug in headphones.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried turning up the volume when the earphones are unplugged. iOS has separate volume memory for both states, so you can have volume set to zero with no headphones than crank to full blast when you plug in headphones.

Great suggestion!! Thanks - Tim goes off and hides again....:(

Tim

OP
B

Blu3Moon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using the latest version of iOS 4.3.2. I got my Ipad 2 last monday. I know that i can change the switch on the right side to either mute or orientation lock and not on mute.
Ive also tried to shut it down several times with no effect.

But i tried the last advice u suggested - switched the ipad off and then press and hold the power and home buttons at the same time. The Ipad came back to life and i tried to watch a video on youtube. I got like 10 secs sound from the speakers then suddenly it got muted. I also tried to adjust the volum by the bars on the right side when i got sound from the speakers and it didnt said earphones, it actually came sound out of the speaker.Then suddenly it became mute again after 10 sec while watching the video. And when i tried to adjust the volum it saids earphones again.

so weird, but anyways got to go work. Seems like the problem is no 100% solved yet... but im going to give u a feedback later this day. thx for the help.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using the latest version of iOS 4.3.2. I got my Ipad 2 last monday. I know that i can change the switch on the right side to either mute or orientation lock and not on mute.
Ive also tried to shut it down several times with no effect.

But i tried the last advice u suggested - switched the ipad off and then press and hold the power and home buttons at the same time. The Ipad came back to life and i tried to watch a video on youtube. I got like 10 secs sound from the speakers then suddenly it got muted. I also tried to adjust the volum by the bars on the right side when i got sound from the speakers and it didnt said earphones, it actually came sound out of the speaker.Then suddenly it became mute again after 10 sec while watching the video. And when i tried to adjust the volum it saids earphones again.

so weird, but anyways got to go work. Seems like the problem is no 100% solved yet... but im going to give u a feedback later this day. thx for the help.

This is most definitely weird. OK - well this last test proves it's not a problem with the headphone plug, as I'd first suspected. Do you have any other apps that have an audio output? Say Internet Radio or some music in the iPod app? I'm wondering now if it's an app issue? But you can see I'm 'clutching at straws' and running out of ideas before suggesting you return it to the store...:(

Tim

OP
B

Blu3Moon

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Have tried that with no effect.

One thing to mention again is that when i got sound with earphones and switch to mute on the right side of the ipad, the slide thing. When i try to slide down ( mute) the sound doesnt get muted at all but i get the picture on the screen that its muted.... Well this was my last post for now. Giving you feedbacks later.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

One thing to mention again is that when i got sound with earphones and switch to mute on the right side of the ipad, the slide thing. When i try to slide down ( mute) the sound doesnt get muted at all but i get the picture on the screen that its muted.... Well this was my last post for now. Giving you feedbacks later.

The Mute switch should only mute 'system sounds' and not app sounds - so, for example, it mutes the 'new email' and 'keyboard clicks'. It's intended to avoid the embarrassment of your iPad playing the new mail sound in the middle of a business meeting or at night (because that new mail sound will still come out of the iPad even if it's in Sleep).

Good Luck

Tim

Reaction score
Blu3Moon said:

That is normal, as the mute switch only mutes system sounds, but not sounds from the iPod app, or from videos.

It sounds more like a hardware defect. If a reboot (pressing power and home button simultaneously for 7sec. ) does not help, then it might be best to return it to an Apple Store.

OP
B

Blu3Moon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi there fellows. Seems like i got my sound back now. Dont know how this was 100% solved, but it maybe seems like switching it off and push the power and home buttons at the same time worked it out. Did this a couple times and now it seems its back on track again. Thx for all the help and i will now never plugged the earphones and charge the ipad at the same time over night again hehe:p

OP
B

Blu3Moon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
looks like the problem is still there. I am able to get sound from the speakers now, but its for 30 secs - 1 min - 2 min..... THEN suddenly it gets muted and locked to earphones. To unlock this mute i have tried and succsessfully sometimes by going into some apps that got sound, for example radio or piano ( it doesnt always works, sometimes i have to adjust the volum on the right side of the ipad while im on the app) then i get sound.

But this happens all the time and its starting to piss me off. I have had the ipad for like 10 days now and its kind of sad if i have to go back to the store and deliver it so they can repair it. Is there anything else i could try? i have restored it, switching it off and on.... is there some way of reinstalling the ios version i have or have i already did that when i restored the ipad?

So annoying that it suddenly go to mute while im watching/listening video/radio and says that the earphones is plugged in when nothing is plugged in at all.....

Someone please say theres a solution for this problem - i would be forever grateful.

Blu3moon

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try plugging and unplugging the headphones a few times (or a lot). If it's something sticking or failing there you might fix it, or get a good solid failure so you know it's broke for sure.

OP
B

Blu3Moon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Try plugging and unplugging the headphones a few times (or a lot). If it's something sticking or failing there you might fix it, or get a good solid failure so you know it's broke for sure.

Did this like 40-50 times.... still the same problem..

Blu3moon

Most reactions

Latest posts