What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3: DOUBLE to TRIPLE the data usage - no thanks!

Arizona

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just heard on FoxNews that the iPad 3 uses WAY more data for identical tasks compared to the 3G iPad 2.

My iPad 2 is only $30 a month for my Verizon data package and that's been plenty for my needs. Sounds like an iPad 3 would be double or even triple for the same usage.

I say I'll stick with the 2 as I see nothing in the 3 to make it worth the significant additional cost of data to feed it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Nonsense.

It uses exactly the same amount of data for the same uses as the iPad 2. What has happened is that LTE encourages people to use the iPad more, and for more data intensive services. Movies stream fast, so people watch more movies and at higher quality. The web is faster, so they spend more time browsing.

If you can resist temptation to use your iPad more often and for more stuff, then it will have no significant impact on your data usage.

OP
A

Arizona

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's a link to the news clip that I'm referring to. In reading it this morning (yesterday I got a glimpse of it on TV) it does appear that the biggest issue is with video viewing. It appears that the 4 G will entice users to USE more video and hence use far more data. On Wi-Fi it doesn't matter but on 4G you will need to expect the need for a larger data package.

Apple faces concerns over iPad 'speed trap' | Fox News

Thanks for the response I certainly know little about this technical stuff... But I definitely love my iPad is all I can say, it's a wonderful device to say the least.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. I just wanted to make sure you knew that it is not the iPad itself that 'might' cause greater data usage. It would be a change in your own use/habits, enabled by better connectivity.

It's like getting speeding tickets because your old car would only do 65mph, and the new one can do 120mph. You have to pay attention to what you are doing with the new car.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Nonsense.

It uses exactly the same amount of data for the same uses as the iPad 2. What has happened is that LTE encourages people to use the iPad more, and for more data intensive services. Movies stream fast, so people watch more movies and at higher quality. The web is faster, so they spend more time browsing.

If you can resist temptation to use your iPad more often and for more stuff, then it will have no significant impact on your data usage.

I always stream movies on home wifi as 3G doesn't work well.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Arizona said:
Just heard on FoxNews that the iPad 3 uses WAY more data for identical tasks compared to the 3G iPad 2.

My iPad 2 is only $30 a month for my Verizon data package and that's been plenty for my needs. Sounds like an iPad 3 would be double or even triple for the same usage.

I say I'll stick with the 2 as I see nothing in the 3 to make it worth the significant additional cost of data to feed it.

And of course there is no double 4G data for the price one, i.e., 4GB for the price of 2GB @30.00 on the New iPad or any other tablet on Verizon.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
http://usat.ly/GEmNtO

New iPad's 4G sucks up data allotment in a flash

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Um...why are people surprised by this? 4g service is dfaster therefore it will use more data more quickly. Thats why companies like Verizon are looking into revamping their data plans not only for voice, but for data devices as well.

Sent from my iPad 3

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Um...why are people surprised by this? 4g service is dfaster therefore it will use more data more quickly. Thats why companies like Verizon are looking into revamping their data plans not only for voice, but for data devices as well.

By now the media is accustomed to having a scandal-gate to write about with every Apple launch. It's tradition (and site clicks). Unable to come up with any solid problems/controversy we're left with Warm-gate and Data-works-too-fast-gate. With some of the usual battery charging, dead pixel, and screen bleed sprinkled on top, just for spice. ;)

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol that is so true funny how they never mention other brands which have exactly the same issues. It is not about Apple it is about how much you want to use the high speed access. Remember if it moves it costs regardless of what device you are using when on 3g or 4g

wwhit001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I must disagree with you. I tried doing the same browsing that I usually do with yahoo.com as my home page. On 4G LTE, I blew through 250 mg of data in what Verizon listed as 1 hour of connection (20 minutes for me). I still cannot figure this out.
However our daily usage for checking emails and browsing Yahoo.com is about 25mb.
I am still looking for a valid explanation of why so much more data went through, even if I had been on for 1 hour. During this time there were no updates or movies being downloaded.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I must disagree with you. I tried doing the same browsing that I usually do with yahoo.com as my home page. On 4G LTE, I blew through 250 mg of data in what Verizon listed as 1 hour of connection (20 minutes for me). I still cannot figure this out.
However our daily usage for checking emails and browsing Yahoo.com is about 25mb.
I am still looking for a valid explanation of why so much more data went through, even if I had been on for 1 hour. During this time there were no updates or movies being downloaded.

Ouch. It's pretty obvious why cell phone providers force data plans on people. ** clutches my wifi only iPad and by the minute tracfone **. :)

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I switched from Verizon to TMobile (to save some money), my data usage went down a great deal. I guess TMobile uses less data? More likely, there were things I could not do on TMobile (audio streaming, app updates) that were more possible on Verizon due to the higher speeds and broader coverage.

Still, is it possible that some web pages can recognize the higher resolution of the newer iPads and transmit imagery and video at that higher resolution (more data)? Or, does the newer iPad with 4G do things in the background that were not possible with earlier iPads and slower cellular data?

My android phone has a data usage feature, where one can review the amount of data used and which app used it. Does iOS have this (I forget, but I am thinking it does)? Perhaps this would give a clue about how the data is being used and whether it is related to the device, or the network.

Is it possible that the new iPad has icloud sync where the old one did not? I wonder how much data this consumes?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Still, is it possible that some web pages can recognize the higher resolution of the newer iPads and transmit imagery and video at that higher resolution (more data)? Or, does the newer iPad with 4G do things in the background that were not possible with earlier iPads and slower cellular data?

...Is it possible that the new iPad has icloud sync where the old one did not? I wonder how much data this consumes?

Rather than the type of device you are using, web sites can recognize your data speed and adjust the quality of the video to match. It's a good idea to go through settings for sites and video apps, setting your default video quality to override this feature. Pick the lowest bandwidth with the quality you are satisfied with. I find 480P satisfactory for viewing on my iPad and iPhone.

For sites without preferences, the video will usually have a quality control somewhere at the bottom, if you remember to switch to a lower quality you can save a considerable amount of your data allowance.

With iOS 5 and even more so with iOS 6 there are a number of services that will sync automatically over your cellphone connection. Check your iCloud settings. By default, the heavy hitters like Photo Stream and Documents & Data will only sync over wi-fi. Most of the others will sync over cellular, but don't use up a lot of data (with the possible exception of Mail which may contain large attachments).

Under Settings > Cellular Data you can turn ON/OFF cellular syncing for some of the background services under the Use Cellular Data for: section. iCloud Document syncing can be turned ON here. Photo Stream does not appear to have any cellular syncing options. It is wi-fi only.

You can also turn of LTE service here, in case you want to self limit your speeds. While it won't stop the iPhone from syncing stuff in the background, but it will slow it down, which in some cases may result in less data use.

Or you can turn off Cellular Data altogether, and only turn it on when you out and about and, actually need it. Inconvenient, but the ultimate in data use control.

Most reactions