What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 2's Smart Cover burn-like stain on the magnet

neobita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
That's definitely a defective cover, get them to exchange or refund. I keep the Smart Cover on my iPad as it charges all night (usually 10 hrs. per night) and I have no sign of bleeding or burning.

Ok, thanks.. I would definitely do that...
Anyway.. I would like to ask.. Mine is ordered online... How do I go about to get the item refunded or exchange?

Thanks / Regards

buddhahat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had this same problem after a month of using a grey smart cover with the iPad 2. In my case I removed the cover one day and there was a powdery brown substance on the iPad, as if the magnet section of the cover had split. I wiped it away but it left a brown, burn like, stain on both cover and ipad that couldn't be removed.

I bought both the iPad and cover from my local apple store (Bath) who were good enough to replace the iPad and cover. The guy was surprised by the problem and had not encountered it before. However, I'm now reluctant to use the smart cover in case the problem reoccurs.

There is a thread on the apple forums on this same issue. I can't post a link as I'm a newbie here, but the thread title is "Rust on smart cover".

dasym

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had this problem with my iPad 3 (I know, this is probably the wrong forum, but I'm replying to the thread). There were rust-like marks on the magnets of the smart cover and these had caused what appeared to be corrosion marks on the iPad. I took it to the Apple Store and the Genius girl showed me the iPad she was using with smart cover. The magnets on her cover had the same stains but the iPad itself was OK. She appreciated my concern about the marks on the iPad itself and replaced both my iPad and the smart cover.

The customer service is excellent - and worthwhile: when my current contract runs out I'll probably replace my Samsung Galaxy SII with the latest iPhone!

Most reactions

Latest posts