What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 2's Smart Cover burn-like stain on the magnet

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes I had a mark like that on my smart cover as well. It's on the inside so I wasn't sure what to try to clean it. I'm not using my smart cover anymore anyways but would like to sell it.

coachf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just this morning I noticed a burn stain on the magnet and case. This seems like an issue if it being noticed more and more. I've attached a photo. Any ideas on what to do about this?

Attachments

• image-2723081042.png
    image-2723081042.png
    527.8 KB · Views: 624
OP
P

pudongski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just this morning I noticed a burn stain on the magnet and case. This seems like an issue if it being noticed more and more. I've attached a photo. Any ideas on what to do about this?

Seems to me a real issue here. When i post it the thread here, i was like it's just me having that stain issue, however more and more are posting same issue. Be sure to check the magnet piece on your smart cover for those who have one.

coachf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so I wiped the mark off yesterday but it is back again today. Also when I feel the mark on the case, I can feel a tiny raised dent, almost like a weld mark. I think what we are experiencing is a small arcing of electricity from the case to the cover. This appears to be bad. Would really like to see something from a moderator. Hopefully apple is seeing this or is aware of the issue. I think I might visit the apple store and try for a replacement iPad this weekend.

neobita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also experiencing this problem... my smart cover magnet left a burn like stain on my ipad 2 and it seems to be recurring every time I put the smart cover on...

kindly update us on your endeavor...

bill_d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hmm i get this to but i just figured it was dirt, but i use mine in a work truck
but it is a magnet and will pick up iron or steel dust and that would make gray marks

neobita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wiped the side of my ipad 2 with a wet tissue (baby wipe) and it manages to clean the burn mark on my ipad, however, the mark is still there on the smart cover....

I wonder how did this happen? Is there any house wiring related to this burn mark? should I contact apple for clarification?

regards

Roadstar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed the same thing on my green smart cover. I got the stain off the iPad, but not from the smart cover. This is somewhat disturbing.

trinket

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had this on my first iPad and smart cover (I have been through 3 iPads and smart covers - long story).

Basically, the anodised or painted coating on the smart cover hinge was rubbing off, and so it was basically metal from the smart cover, rubbing against the metal of the iPad. On mine, it was on the hinge area of the smart cover at the top. I took it into the store, and had the smart cover replaced. Problem solved.
If I had left it and let it continue, it would have eventually started scratching the iPad.

Intrnlstorm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just noticed that mine has the same burn mark. I didn't spend over $800 to have the cover and iPad do this. The iPad has a wear mark and the cover has a burn through hole on the magnet strip. I will be stopping in to see the apple reps as soon as I can.

Joel

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just noticed that mine has the same burn mark. I didn't spend over $800 to have the cover and iPad do this. The iPad has a wear mark and the cover has a burn through hole on the magnet strip. I will be stopping in to see the apple reps as soon as I can.

Joel

I spent the same amount and have had none of those issues with my 2 ipad2s or the smart cover. So take yours back for exchange soon. You shouldn't have to put up with defective gear. Good luck!

neobita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally I have found out what has caused my smart cover to bleed.. Its actually because I've charged my ipad with the smart cover on. And it is not just when i'm at home, I charged it at the office and also experiencing this burn mark... I'm definitely taking this smart cover back for a replacement...

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally I have found out what has caused my smart cover to bleed.. Its actually because I've charged my ipad with the smart cover on. And it is not just when i'm at home, I charged it at the office and also experiencing this burn mark... I'm definitely taking this smart cover back for a replacement...

That's definitely a defective cover, get them to exchange or refund. I keep the Smart Cover on my iPad as it charges all night (usually 10 hrs. per night) and I have no sign of bleeding or burning.

Most reactions