What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart cover "cleaning" abilities

fmmrz5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So we were all very skeptical when Steve jobs claimed that the new smart covers' microfiber side will clean the screen. And as I've used my black leather smart cover since the 14 th I can say it defiantly does....sort of

What it does do is shuffle all the fingerprints into three vertical columns. Is makes sense because the smart cover is divided up into it's four folding columns.

Has anyone else noticed this

OP
F

fmmrz5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Totally. However I do take the cover off while rolled up and use one side to clean the screen. Like cleaning with a toblerone

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sacrilege! Toblerone's are not to be mocked.

Hadn't noticed, but it does seem remarkably free of fingerprints despite the usage of the last twenty four hours. If it really is the cover then well done apple.

ColtsSN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting. I didn't get a smart cover because I wanted a folio type of case. I've been using a couple Smudgebuster optical cleaning cloths that I got free at a military trade show. Works great.

OP
F

fmmrz5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
here is a quick shot of what im talking about. kind of annoying, but i have some microfiber cloths on order. I was thinking about using some polishing gloves i have at work (bar) to polish wine glasses.

Attachments

• 189185_10100103472607020_15921057_50734158_7907475_n.jpg
    189185_10100103472607020_15921057_50734158_7907475_n.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 779

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It almost looks like there's something on the inside cover that's being deposited on the screen. I'm thinking of using a hand vac on my inside cover. I use the cleaning cloth that came with my flat screen t.v on the iPad - it does a great job, but I noticed that once the cover has been closed and reopened, there's specs of dust on the screen - or maybe specs of whatever material is used on the inside cover. Could be it's just shedding, as some fabrics will do for a while.

Reaction score
That is a lot of dust.

Which way do you fold the cover? I tend to fold it in half, so that the outside of the cover is always out, as a result very little dust comes onto the screen. The 3 lines are still visible, but much less.

Last edited:

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife has the pink Smart Cover and I have noticed how it cleans her screen. At first she didn't really care for the SC but now she likes it.

OP
F

fmmrz5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I fold it back so the leather is out but I find myself using it folded into the triangle a lot. It's great for holding it while in landscape view. Not seeing any dust persay mostly just fingerprints. Nothing a wipe down cant take care of

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hadn't noticed the four column thing but mine does the same I see now.

Did some of you mean you actually wipe the screen with the back of it?

Martinm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had not noticed that before, but now that you mention it I can tell. I would like to see a copy cat case have the same functionality.

Most reactions

Latest posts