What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart Cover and Ipad2 question

gabriella

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I open my smart cover the screen on my ipad2 sometimes opens dim and will time out after a few seconds. Other times when I wake up my ipad with the smart cover it is bright and does not time out. I do not understand why sometimes the screen when it is opened with the smart cover is dim and times out almost immediatley and other times there is no problem when the ipad2 is opened with the smart cover it is completely bright and ready for use. I was wondering if there is something wrong with the ipad2 or the smart cover?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

I noticed the problem you reported with your iPad2 and the Smart Cover.

What happens if you remove the Smart Cover completely - i.e. don't use it at all - and power the iPad up using the Power switch. Do you get the same problem then? The iPad has an ambient light sensor too that measures how bright it is where the iPad is being used - it turns up the screen brightness when it's bright to make the screen easier to read and turns down the brightness when it's dark, so that it doesn't blind you. Sometimes the light sensor can be inadvertently covered which can cause it to appear to malfunction.

Anyway, let us know what happens when you operate the iPad without the Smart Cover and then we can give you some more suggestions.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

Also the iPad2 manual is available at http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/ipad_2_user_guide.pdf

It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the smart cover. My solution to the back of my unit being scratched is to fold the cover over covering the back when laying it in a flush down position. When my unit is not in use I set my unit cover side down on the surface it is resting upon. When in use I use the stand in the typing position. So far no marks of any kind on the exposed back of my unit after three straight days of use.

Most reactions

Latest posts