What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fridge magnet poses security threat to Ipad 2..........

rickyricardo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Don't laugh — because they can.
It turns out that anyone with an Apple Smart Cover or other magnetic accessory — including something like a simple fridge magnet — can gain partial access to a passcode-protected iPad 2."

I just read this, they even explained how it is done.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not as bad as the apparent hole that Siri makes on iPhones. I was sent this today

"Apple has included an option with Siri that lets you access the power and capabilities of the personal assistant without unlocking the phone. A blog post from Sophos describes an issue with the default functionality of Siri while the iPhone 4S is locked. The problem is that if I can pick up the phone and send a text message, or access my schedule to get my reminders, so can anyone else who picks up my phone.
The bigger problem is that Apple leaves this on by default. I can understand making the choice available, but this should be turned off by default. The very point of having establishing a passcode lock is to prevent unauthorized access to my iPhone and the information it contains. Allowing Siri to circumvent the passcode and share that information violates the concept.
You can turn this off in Settings, but it is oddly not part of the Siri settings. Tap General, then Passcode Lock. Under the Passcode Lock settings, you can turn off the ability to access Siri's functionality from a locked iPhone."

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not as bad? How do you figure. Unlock and locked iPad with a magnet and bypass the lock screen password...

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tis doesn't bother me in the slightest. My iPad is mine, nobody else's. It lives in my house, with me, or is in my bag when I go out. If I were to lose it, I'd log straight into iCloud, find my device and if it wasn't somewhere I could retrieve it, i.e. stolen, I'd erase all data from it.

And surely if we did lose them, or leave them lying around with the smart cover on, anyone would have full, not partial access anyway, as most of us don't turn them off? I am not sure I understand what is actually news in the article.

OP
R

rickyricardo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Milliebert,

I think you might be missing the point. The fact is I leave my ipad 2 laying around my house with a smart cover on it all day long. No one could gain access to it because I have it passcode protected. You have to enter the passcode before gaining entry. Now, apparently with this news, anyone can now gain partial access to your ipad regardless of your passcode protection.

Thats a big deal to me..............

Tazz229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
To fix this bug (for now):

[*]Settings
[*]General Settings
[*]Switch "iPad Cover Lock/Unlock" button to "Off".

Hmmm I don't have that setting.... Using IOS 5 too???

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm I don't have that setting.... Using IOS 5 too???

You won't have that setting if you have never used a SmartCover. Hold a fridge magnet to the front right side and it will magically activate it because it will think you have attached a smart cover for the first time.

Tazz229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
You won't have that setting if you have never used a SmartCover. Hold a fridge magnet to the front right side and it will magically activate it because it will think you have attached a smart cover for the first time.

Haha cool ya learn summat new every day

Most reactions

Latest posts