What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Verizon Not Restoring

QAiPhone23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, so let me briefly describe my situation. I have an iPad 2 Verizon (Wifi and 3G). I broke the screen and had it replaced. When I got it back, the 3G wasn't working. So I sent it back again. When I got it back this time, I had a message pop up on my screen saying I need to restore my device before I can make or receive calls. So I went to iTunes and tried to restore but received an error message ( I cant remember which one ). So I tried downloading a custom IPSW, and holding down shift when clicking restore and using that IPSW...Another error message. Finally, I put the device in recovery mode and open iTunes and it said I need to restore. So I clicked restore and it extracts the old software and verifies the new software...And on the iPad it shows an Apple with a bar loading below it. It gets about half way across and give me ANOTHER error. This is error 1. I've tried just about everything I can think of but nothing is working. Now the device is stuck in recovery mode (which I think is because during the restore it removes the old software but fails before the new one is installed). I've tried iReb to kick it from Recovery Mode and it just keeps showing the connect to iTunes logo. I am using Windows 8.1 and TinyUnbrella doesn't seem to work. Is there ANYTHING I can do to this device to get it working again?!! At this point I don't care what iOS I have to use, just want to be able to use my device.

I also made sure iTunes was updated, changed cables, changed ports, made sure the host files are good...But still get Error 1.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Was your iPad working when you got it back the second time before you got the pop up to restore?

Have you tried all the ports on your PC? Do you have another PC you could try this with? You could set up a new user account on your PC and see if that makes a difference.

Here is Apple's advice for this error.....
http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3694#hardware

I've moved your thread to our Hacking Section where the knowledgeable folk there are best able to help you.

Good luck with your issue!

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried restoring in DFU mode? The only firmware that you can currently restore to on the iPad 2 3G is iOS 7.1. You can follow the sticky here.

OP
Q

QAiPhone23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys!!! I don't have another PC I can use, but can make another account. I am trying to restore with iOS 7.1 but the device is stuck in recovery mode. How can I put it into DFU mode? It seems like I need to manually put the software on but not really sure how to do that (except holding shift and selecting my IPSW in iTunes) and even that is giving me an error. I think iTunes extracted my current software, but then failed before it installed 7.1

Also, my iPad was working but the guy said he replaced the 3G module. After that, my iPad said it needed a restore before I can use the 3G. Now it is stuck in recovery and I can't do anything with it :(

OP
Q

QAiPhone23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so I put it in DFU mode (iPad recognized by computer but black screen) and iTunes again said it recognized a device in recovery mode and needs to be restored. So I clicked Restore and Update and it gets almost done still, then has Error 1?!!

When the new update is installing the iPad shows the Apple Logo with a loading bar and it gets a little past half way done loading and then the error pops up on iTunes...Is my iPad an expensive paper weight?!! :(

OP
Q

QAiPhone23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I then clicked Shift + Update and clicked on the IPSW of 7.1 I downloaded and same error 1

Most reactions

Latest posts