What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 release sooner than thought

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everyone was predicting that the iPad 2 would be announced on Wednesday and Released next month. Now it was announced to sellers that Apple is putting a hold on restock of iPads. This usually means that they are getting rid of exisiting stock to make way for new models. With the current status of stock, that could mean new model iPads as early as this Friday, or more likely around the 11th or 18th.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Despite my misgiving, it is starting to look that way. Oh well, I've survived being wrong before. :p

Not that I'm against the new iPads being available earlier.

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And Murphy's Law strikes again. Just got my new iPad. But no major loss because the camera wasn't a deal breaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
makes me laugh the pre release rumours. so many fans, who are convinced they're right, preach their predictions around the forums, then Apple actually do their thing and flummox them all.

Thats why all speculation should be taken with a large pinch of salt and in good faith. NOBODY REALLY HAS A CLUE!!!! other than Apple themselves.

LOL.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lol Scoff away!

Enthusiasts will always talk about things that interest them and speculation will always be a part of that.

That said some of the tech press seem to know little about their subject and report/repeat the wildest rubbish without any shame or self respect..........

LOL.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Speculating on new features is fun, due to the amount of secrecy around new Apple products. But anyone who takes it too serious is being foolish. Apple users know that while the products keep improving, there is not a big change with every new model. Every other intro usually is a hot upgrade, but every new model brings a new feature, either software support, or new hardware. This model will be a few tweaks and a camera. The next model will probably be the Retina display and SD card slot along with performance improvements.

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Speculating on new features is fun, due to the amount of secrecy around new Apple products. But anyone who takes it too serious is being foolish. Apple users know that while the products keep improving, there is not a big change with every new model. Every other intro usually is a hot upgrade, but every new model brings a new feature, either software support, or new hardware. This model will be a few tweaks and a camera. The next model will probably be the Retina display and SD card slot along with performance improvements.

You're absolutely right. I think the most fascinating thing to watch for is the price point. Many Apple observers say that the price could be the biggest surprise. It may not have as many features as rumored, but possibly expect the price point to drop and make it assessable for many more users financially. Then, expect a price bump up to around current pricing with a fall release of the iPad3, with a lot more of the features that had been rumored for this release. Why? This would give a much larger ownership base to salivate for all the new features of iPad3 and give Apple the opportunity to sell kazillions (?) of iPad3's just in time for Christmas at a price that's not a dime more than current iPad pricing.

This whole scenario is based on the belief in Cupertino that once people use the iPad there's no going back. You don't think you want one until you use one. Lowering the price for the iPad2, with fewer feature upgrades, brings in many of those, "Wow. This is life changing," buyers and then a Christmas-ready-loaded-iPad with many new features makes the iPad a slam-dunk tablet winner. Android stopped in its tracks by brilliant pricing strategy with the iPad2. Game over. If this is what happens, a year from now we'll all look back on the lower-priced iPad2 as a phenomenal strategy that allowed Apple to dominate the tablet market --- all as we talk about the rumors of the iPad4!

Last edited:

bobbydrake

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You're absolutely right. I think the most fascinating thing to watch for is the price point. Many Apple observers say that the price could be the biggest surprise. It may not have as many features as rumored, but possibly expect the price point to drop and make it assessable for many more users financially. Then, expect a price bump up to around current pricing with a fall release of the iPad3, with a lot more of the features that had been rumored for this release. Why? This would give a much larger ownership base to salivate for all the new features of iPad3 and give Apple the opportunity to sell kazillions (?) of iPad3's just in time for Christmas at a price that's not a dime more than current iPad pricing.

This whole scenario is based on the belief in Cupertino that once people use the iPad there's no going back. You don't think you want one until you use one. Lowering the price for the iPad2, with fewer feature upgrades, brings in many of those, "Wow. This is life changing," buyers and then a Christmas-ready-loaded-iPad with many new features makes the iPad a slam-dunk tablet winner. Android stopped in its tracks by brilliant pricing strategy with the iPad2. Game over. If this is what happens, a year from now we'll all look back on the lower-priced iPad2 as a phenomenal strategy that allowed Apple to dominate the tablet market --- all as we talk about the rumors of the iPad4!

I wouldn't mind a price drop. I have been hanging in since before Xmas to get one as I knew another was on the way but I'm getting very impatient. Hopefully they will be available soon and preferably on contract (the UK contract with 3 seems pretty good). Can't wait much longer!

Most reactions