What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD 2 jailbreak 4.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

holymasteric

iPF Noob
Reaction score
comex is also working (off and on) on a jailbreak, as evidenced by his tweet to @Angelol1990 on May 29.

Also, consider the Cydia icon on the picture comex took of his smashed iPad2. Remember that comex didn't buy an iPad2 when they first came out (he jailbroke chpwn's remotely). (So put 2 and 2 together....)

wooo musclenerd is here too! this is getting very interesting.
does anyone know anything about the new iFaith by iH8sn0w and why it does not work with the iPad 2? It sure would be useful to save the 4.3 shsh blob

Lakerfanalways

iPF Noob
Reaction score
comex is also working (off and on) on a jailbreak, as evidenced by his tweet to @Angelol1990 on May 29.

Also, consider the Cydia icon on the picture comex took of his smashed iPad2. Remember that comex didn't buy an iPad2 when they first came out (he jailbroke chpwn's remotely). (So put 2 and 2 together....)

Didn't some speculate that comex's iPad had 4.3.3 on it :) if that is the case..is it possible that maybe a future in the works jailbreak could work with 4.3.3..for us iPad owners who were not lucky enough to get an iPad 2 with 4.3 on it..yes I know, broken record about it but since its your first post and your so familiar with this I figured I'd ask you..keep up the great work! We all appreciate all of your hard work!!

MuscleNerd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.iphone-dev.org
does anyone know anything about the new iFaith by iH8sn0w and why it does not work with the iPad 2? It sure would be useful to save the 4.3 shsh blob

It needs an iBoot-level or lower exploit to access the blobs. limera1n provides that for all later devices except the iPad2.

TinyUmbrella was able to save the 4.3 blobs while the window was open. However, without an iBoot-level or lower exploit, 4.3 blobs are useless for iPad2-3G and iPad2-CDMA. That's because the only way to get past the baseband update part of the restore nowadays (when it errors out) is with an iBoot-level or lower exploit.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score

wooo musclenerd is here too! this is getting very interesting.

I asked that in another thread and apparenty in the description it says it won't work with the iPad 2. I'm guessing it has to do with the A5 chip and it not being dumped yet. I'm in the same boat, 4.3 but no SHSH blobs saved. Way I see it though your ok as long as you remember not to hit the update button on iTunes when you connect your iPad. SHSH allows you to update the firmware then revert back to an older firmware provided you have the blobs.

codmdantes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yesssssss!!!! MuscleNerd, is a member of this forum???? What an honor!!! Really, really great to see a man like you here with us....
RESPECT!!!!:D:D

ipadshoeyuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
codmdantes said:
Yesssssss!!!! MuscleNerd, is a member of this forum???? What an honor!!! Really, really great to see a man like you here with us....
RESPECT!!!!:D:D

I second that :):)

Sent from my iPad2 in Somerset

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

It needs an iBoot-level or lower exploit to access the blobs. limera1n provides that for all later devices except the iPad2.

TinyUmbrella was able to save the 4.3 blobs while the window was open. However, without an iBoot-level or lower exploit, 4.3 blobs are useless for iPad2-3G and iPad2-CDMA. That's because the only way to get past the baseband update part of the restore nowadays (when it errors out) is with an iBoot-level or lower exploit.

Welcome MuscleNerd.

From my understanding though, blobs are not on the device. I always understood they were generated... not retrieved. And to generate, surely we need an encryption key. What am I missing? How can they be gotten out of the device? Confused.

AwesomeNoob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How long is he banned for? Hope not long.

OH Man! Can't the moderators block out the curse words automatically? I am sure I am not alone when I say we rely on any valuable info about the jailbreak progress... Bile SHOULD be an exception! It is his posts that keep me (I'm sure others) coming back here..

I am sure you don't want to lose the traffic on this forum (esp. This thread) that this ipad2 jailbreak waiting is giving you at the moment...

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

OH Man! Can't the moderators block out the curse words automatically? I am sure I am not alone when I say we rely on any valuable info about the jailbreak progress... Bile SHOULD be an exception! It is his posts that keep me (I'm sure others) coming back here..

I am sure you don't want to lose the traffic on this forum (esp. This thread) that this ipad2 jailbreak waiting is giving you at the moment...

Are you serious right now? Be careful. I don't care you who you are ~ you will follow the rules here.

Back on topic.

MuscleNerd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.iphone-dev.org
Welcome MuscleNerd..

Thanks! And thanks to those who posted right before you :)

From my understanding though, blobs are not on the device. I always understood they were generated... not retrieved. And to generate, surely we need an encryption key. What am I missing? How can they be gotten out of the device? Confused.
The blob for each img3 file is on the device, along with the rest of the img3. Here's a brief rundown on how it works:

The stock IPSW is not "personalized". Each of the img3 files inside it is missing several fields, the most of important of which is the ECID unique to each device. Note that the img3's *do* already have SHSH blobs in them, but they're only good for the un-personalized img3's. Inserting an ECID into the img3 (see the next paragraph) invalidates the SHSH of the img3 in the IPSW, so a new one has to be used.

For each img3 inside the IPSW, iTunes inserts the unique ECID "on the fly" and so it requires a new SHSH blob. iTunes can't generate this new SHSH itself because it doesn't have Apple's private key, so it fetches the new SHSH blob from Apple's server. It inserts the new SHSH after your unique ECID in the img3 before sending it up to the restored_external program running on the iPhone during a restore. That program flashes the img3+ECID+SHSH to the device (for each img3).

With the next reboot, the bootrom checks that the flashed LLB has all the required fields, including the ECID. It refuses to proceed if the ECID is missing, or if the SHSH blob is missing, or if the SHSH blob is bad. This same checks happens when the LLB loads the iBoot, when iBoot loads each of the screen images, and when iBoot loads the kernel.

The SHSH is nothing but a signed SHA1 of the rest of the img3, including the ECID. Its format is completely understood because it's standard PKCS. It's impossible to forge without knowing Apple's private RSA key.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Bile will be back soon, assuming he wants to return, but let me be clear... Nobody gets exempted from the rules, whether you think they are harsh or not. No matter who you are or what your standing in the scene is.
If I swear on the site, I will get an infraction too. Maybe we are a little different here. Maybe we are not to everyone's taste. But rules is rules :) OK?
We ask that everyone plays by them and we try to enforce them consistently and fairly. If you don't want to play, that's fine, not everyone likes rules, but you'll have to play somewhere else. Personally, I don't think it's too much to ask, but that's just me. We won't sacrifice our standards for traffic. Not ever.

So, as a general guide - Swear all you like when your thinking the response in your head, but don't type it! :D

It is really good to have esteemed members of the scene on board here. All our staff and members will make them very welcome I'm sure, but that's nothing unusual! We like to make everyone feel welcome.

Now where's this jailbreak... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts