What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS5 Jailbreak Strategy Guide

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for this post, f4780y. I like your thinking - so I'm going to do the same thing, mostly.

I'm out of town right now, so if it's still available tomorrow, I'm going to get 5.0 on the iPad1. Otherwise, if I'm too late, it's 5.0.1 tethered (cause untethered IS so overrated on the iPad! :D).

Then, it's staying on 5.0 for the 4S. Although, I think Apple has a secret weapon on their hands this time with the over-the-air updates. Cause I think it may be a race to see if that bright red badge on the Settings icon drives me nuts before a jail break is found! Make it go away, make it go away!! :D

Marilyn

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, the signing Window for 5.0 is now closed. I just tested it and was refused. So at least nobody has to agonise over their position any more. If you missed out on restoring to 5.0, you've missed your chance for good now :(

I've updated the first post with the details.

Last edited:

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
To be honest I stayed on 4.3.3, I was in two minds whether to give it a try, but I love my jailbreak far too much......and let's face it, there are enough apps in Cydia to give you the same workings as iOS5.
I used an iPad running iOS5 the other day and didn't really get a buzz from it, I may be wrong.....and I usually am......but what is the main difference, apart from that magazine thingy...news stand or summink!!
I hope everyone who updated managed to do it as trouble free as possible, and that you are also enjoying your new iOS.

Once again, thanks Leigh for all that splendid information, it does help to know all the facts during these times.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, the signing Window for 5.0 is now closed. I just tested it and was refused. So at least nobody has to agonise over their position any more. If you missed out on restoring to 5.0, you've missed your chance for good now :(

What did you try to update to 5.0?

can't tiny umbrella smart it out with the 5.0GM blobs you have saved?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What did you try to update to 5.0?

can't tiny umbrella smart it out with the 5.0GM blobs you have saved?

I used iSHSH1T to test the window. It's quite effective for that.

You haven't been paying attention at all over the last few months, have you poser? :)

5.x blobs are completely worthless for all devices. No matter what you do they can NEVER be used by TinyUmbrella in a replay attack (unlike 4.x or 3.x blobs which work fine). If you don't have 5.0 installed on your device right now, you can never get it again. Your only option is 5.0.1 (or an old 4.x of 3.x firmware using blobs).

Unless the jailbreak community finds a way to defeat the cryptographic nonce component being used in the firmware blobs now, then we will never be able to re-use them for any firmware from 5.0 upwards. This is the same countermeasure which has prevented the baseband from downgrading for so long, so a fix seems unlikely...

Last edited:

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea, the signing didn't last long. I made a last minute change of heart and went to 5.0. Honestly, I'm pretty good about it. The speed and stability improvement are crazy noticeable. I can accomplish many of my same needs through apps and I think if the Dev Team does anything, 5.0 will likely be the starting point. I have to admit, my belief in them isn't high right now, but so far no regrets.

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still on 4.3.3 - I could just not live without retina, scrollingboard, 5 rows keyboard and mainly xbmc. And I would greatly miss the bt gps stack and others.

If the jb stops being an option in the future and Apple keeps their garden closed, I can see an significant migration pf users from ios to Android devices.

I bought my very first apple product (ipod touch 3g) only after learning about the jb. Otherwise I had not bought it al all.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own an android tablet, and I'm 100% sympathetic to what you're saying but I find their openness reputation way overstated. Finding a way to root your tablet and hoping you haven't voided support, crapware you can't remove, lousy AppStore, etc there's no good option for freedom out there and it stinks.

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning - in my case the migration would not happen without an extensive review of their product.

keyblade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I may be selling my iPad 2 and getting a Transformer Prime... I missed the 5.0 window and I'm stuck on 4.3.3 jailbroken, I really want 5 but its too late to (eventually) have a 5.0 jailbreak because I can't install it anymore. Frustrating.

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
Key blade why sell??? Your iPad is jailbroken, iOS 5 is only an operating system, enjoy what you have........if they do finally jailbreak iOS 5 then I'm sure 5.01 and 5.02 and so on and so on will be jail broken too.

Be patient my friend, Rome was not built in a day........nor is a jailbreak!

Itouchuser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just "jailbroke" my device with iOS 4.3.5 and installed Cydia, but the Cydia app is just white and crashes when I press it, how do I make it work?

Most reactions