What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 8 - Opinion... likes, dislikes, glitches (solutions?)

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh, I know you can do that I was just expressing my desire to always keep the lock screen the same wallpaper. The only one I change frequently is the home screen. Thanks for your input.
On the new update when I use a photo on my wallpaper it changes the size when I reboot, you might be aware of that if it happens. You then have to go back redo your wallpaper.

Ps. I see that the curser problem still isn't fixed on this forum. I'm sure I'm not the only one this is happening to.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why can't we change the color of the clock/app labels when using custom wallpaper?...when you choose an official apple wallpaper with bright background it will auto change the color of the font on the lock & home screen so why can't I change it manually when using a custom BG?...or can I?

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 with wi-fi and cellular, but I have never, and never will I use a data SIM card, and I'm absolutely fed up with iOS 8 telling me I have "no SIM card installed".
The reason I got cellular was for the assisted gps to use with maps etc.
I'm now thinking of upgrading my ageing iPad 2 with a new iPad Air 2, again with wi-fi and cellular, but I will again NOT be using a data sim.
I do hope that I can somehow have the option of turning off that damn pop-up, which occurs at the most inconvenient of times :(

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not a bug that's new to iOS 8. I bought a WiFi plus cellular iPad 3 in March 2012 and have had this pop up appearing every so often ever since. When it first started, my iPad was on iOS 5.

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's not a bug that's new to iOS 8. I bought a WiFi plus cellular iPad 3 in March 2012 and have had this pop up appearing every so often ever since. When it first started, my iPad was on iOS 5.

That's interesting, as until installing iOS 8, the only time I've ever seen that pop-up is after a "restart".

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's interesting, as until installing iOS 8, the only time I've ever seen that pop-up is after a "restart".

Me too - once a "boot" in iOS7.n and several times a day with iOS8.n!

It's really annoying isn't it?

But can anyone please help me with my Restore query above at Monday at 11:01 AM?

Thanks in advance.

dessskris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I haaaaate and totally regret upgrading to iOS 8!!! They should definitely sign iOS 7 again, I wish I could downgrade now :( :( almost all of my apps are so laggy especially the browser which is no good!! The 3rd party keyboards are so damn laggy anyway they are not worth the upgrade. Though I love the new autocorrect thing :p it's probably the only thing I like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

motsco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haaaaate and totally regret upgrading to iOS 8!!! They should definitely sign iOS 7 again, I wish I could downgrade now :( :( almost all of my apps are so laggy especially the browser which is no good!! The 3rd party keyboards are so damn laggy anyway they are not worth the upgrade. Though I love the new autocorrect thing :p it's probably the only thing I like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

welcome to the new AppleSoft, yeah it started around IOS 6. but now it's full blown with 8.

bet you are excited about all the advertising you are about to get, yes, pop ups, redirects, adds, adds, adds. you can say it's not happening to you now, just wait.

I have been trying other browsers myself but I keep coming back to Safari. because it's the least choppy and as unstable also it ism it still better then most. keyboards the stock one works the best,

laggy apps I got them also.

my only problem with apples new direction is the lack of hardware and software.

on my pc I can add software to combat software issues, and I can use hardware to improve over running of the processor,

I know iPad is a tablet, but if Apple wants us to accept pc issues on the tablet the should give use more options like a pc has.

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, after a period of being very unwell under iOS 8, my iPad 2 decided of its own accord that it was time to connect to iTunes with a message on the screen that it was going nowhere until I complied with the instruction!
So after connecting to iTunes, a reload was performed, and a subsequent backup performed from a recent iCloud backup, which in all took a hefty 6 hours or so to restore all apps etc, and it's looking like this has been a real tonic for the old girl.
Gone for good (hopefully) is the "Item cannot be downloaded" message, and things appear (again hopefully) to be a lot smoother.
If this continues to be the case, I might even save some money and forego the expense of a new iPad.

One thing I won't be doing for while is downloading iOS 8.1 until I'm convinced by others findings that my machine won't suffer a "relapse".

Here's hoping :)

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mine is still ill and deteriorating, this morning it reset itself twice within ten minutes!

As no-one has advised on the best way to Restore I'm going to bite the bullet and plough my own furrow tonight as I'm getting increasingly annoyed with freezes, reboots, hangings and messages saying I have no SIM card - I bl**dy know I don't!

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Mine is still ill and deteriorating, this morning it reset itself twice within ten minutes!

As no-one has advised on the best way to Restore I'm going to bite the bullet and plough my own furrow tonight as I'm getting increasingly annoyed with freezes, reboots, hangings and messages saying I have no SIM card - I bl**dy know I don't!

Unfortunately the restore won't rid you of the annoying SIM card pop up. It is, fortunately not that frequent, and I'm managing to live with it.

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score

I would advise you to do as I did in the previous post. First connect to iTunes, and elect to go for a "Restore", which should reload and verify iOS 8.
You will then have to go through the initial "startup" on the iPad, involving signing in to your iCloud account etc.
When you've done this you will be given the option of using the backup from iTunes or from a recent iCloud backup. Since you say you recently backed up to iCloud, I would suggest choosing this option.
Once you've started the iCloud backup restore, I would disconnect your iPad from the PC, and connect to a charger, as the iCloud backup will take a LONG time to restore all of your apps etc. I also turned the screen timeout off so I could keep an eye on the proceedings.

Go for it, and good luck [emoji106]

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Unfortunately, the only way to get rid of that no SIM card pop up is to insert a SIM card in the holder.

bwhicher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the only way to get rid of that no SIM card pop up is to insert a SIM card in the holder.
Go to settings, Cellular Data and turn off. That fixed the SIM card problem for me way back on IOS 5

On second thought I do have a SIM card but don't subscribe to service.

Most reactions

Latest posts