What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 8 - Opinion... likes, dislikes, glitches (solutions?)

M

moparherb

Just ran into a new issue.....I wanted to change my wallpaper and I always use one of my own pictures. Now I cannot get to most of my pictures to change wallpaper. If I go to the photo app they are there but in the settings to change wallpaper only a very small few are there....what to heck did Apple do to a great device....

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just ran into a new issue.....I wanted to change my wallpaper and I always use one of my own pictures. Now I cannot get to most of my pictures to change wallpaper. If I go to the photo app they are there but in the settings to change wallpaper only a very small few are there....what to heck did Apple do to a great device....
If you mean that when you go to chose a photo to use as wallpaper you're only allowed to choose from among the recently added photos, this is a bug that is corrected in iOS 8.1 beta 2 which again gives you access to your entire camera roll. Hopefully this will make it to the public release of iOS 8.1. In the meantime, there is a workaround. Go into your photos app and select the picture you wish to use as wallpaper. Take a screenshot of it. The screenshot now appears in recently added photos and can be selected as your wallpaper. After your new wallpaper is in place you can delete the screenshot of your photo.

M

moparherb

Thank you and yes it worked. But everything seemed to work after all the three updates but today something changed and only some of my pictures were available for wallpaper. IOS 8 has a new (usually not to good) surprise just about every time I turn the ipad on. Kind of Micosoft like.

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can use my photos but when I re-boot my wallpaper goes way zoomed in. Have to go to settings and re-do it. Ok until I re-boot again. Always worked before 8.

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you and yes it worked. But everything seemed to work after all the three updates but today something changed and only some of my pictures were available for wallpaper. IOS 8 has a new (usually not to good) surprise just about every time I turn the ipad on. Kind of Micosoft like.
Funny Im on my Widows 7 lap top now. ipad is a real PITA to use on this forum for posts and replies, curser wont work. Works good on Microsoft.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . . Go into your photos app and select the picture you wish to use as wallpaper. Take a screenshot of it. The screenshot now appears in recently added photos and can be selected as your wallpaper. After your new wallpaper is in place you can delete the screenshot of your photo.

It is not necessary to take a screen shot. When a single photo is selected, or you've opened one for viewing, tap on the action icon (box with up arrow). You should find a 'Use as Wallpaper" icon in the bottom row, the monochrome ones.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is not necessary to take a screen shot. When a single photo is selected, or you've opened one for viewing, tap on the action icon (box with up arrow). You should find a 'Use as Wallpaper" icon in the bottom row, the monochrome ones.
You're right, I just tried it.

M

moparherb

twerppoet, your are so good at this. Thank you very much. I change the wallpaper on my iPad frequently, so this was an issue.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Glad to help.

I rarely change my wallpaper, but when I do I spend a lot of time trying new ones; most often to give up and go back to the old one. I'm kind of picky.

M

moparherb

I'm heavy into model aircraft so it always seems there is something new that I want on my screen, but the locked screen seems to always stay the same.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm heavy into model aircraft so it always seems there is something new that I want on my screen, but the locked screen seems to always stay the same.
That's because you can select different photos for the lock screen and home screen. Next time you change your wallpaper, choose the set both option. If you want separate pictures for the lock screen and home screen, choose set lock screen or set home screen for the selected photo, then you can go back and select the photo for the other screen.
image.jpg

M

moparherb

Oh, I know you can do that I was just expressing my desire to always keep the lock screen the same wallpaper. The only one I change frequently is the home screen. Thanks for your input.

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Personally your next step is to do a full restore on a computer as it should resolve your issues

Thanks, col.bris, II was worried that that would merely restore the glitch. I'll do a full back-up and restore and report back in due course.

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Before I make a complete mess of this, which Restore option should I choose?

I've backed up to both iCloud (both via iTunes and via iCloud on the iPad) and iTunes and, within the latter, I see two options: Restore iPad and Restore back-up. As I indicated above, I don't want to restore the same glitch as seems to be bugging me at present!

Would the safest route be to Restore iPad first and then Restore back-up immediately afterwards - or is that overkill? Or even contradictory?

Any simple "step by step" advice for a technophobe would be very much appreciated!

Most reactions