What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Imessage problem

superhoops

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi. For some reason if I am sent a photo in imessage the picture disappears after about half a second. It is replaced by a blue bubble saying "unknown". I can send photos ok. Any ideas?? Cheers

OP
superhoops

superhoops

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No. It just arrives and after literally one tenth of a second it disappears. Strange thing is it is the on the iPhone ok, its just the ipad it disappears from

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just did a bit of Googling and came up with this
Blue speech bubbles are messages that used Apple's iMessage tool. Green speech bubbles are for messages that used your carriers standard SMS. iMessage only works between apple i-devices, while SMS will work with any phone capable of SMS. iMessage and SMS are two fundamentally different ways to send messages, but they are both seamlessly integrated into the message tool.
Could be a clue as to if the iMessage is being sent Apple to Apple or SMS. I may be totally wrong but I guess it is worth a try.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm at a loss, both iPad and iPhone keep pictures when received and sent in the message stream. If I send a picture from my phone it shows up on my iPad in the message stream as sent by me and the same if I send from the iPad I see it on the phone. I tried digging through settings in case something was adjustable, maybe in restrictions as I don't have them enabled and could not check.

OP
superhoops

superhoops

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for the replies. This is from my sons iPod touch to my ipad so its not an issue of is it SMS or Imessage. I have checked Restrictions and they are all turned off. If I send him a picture it arrives on his iPod fine and if he sends a picture it arrives fine on my iphone, its just the iPad where it arrives then instantly vanishes. All very strange, I have tried Googling and cannot find anything relevant.
I just wish there was a way to have Whatsapp on the iPad then I wouldn't have to worry anymore! Cheers all

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is it still under warranty? If so it would be worth having Apple check it over to see what the problem is. Rare, but it could be a hardware problem. I appreciate what you say about Whatsapp but the point is something that should be working isn't. Daft question but have you tried a full reset of your ipad? Another thing, has this issue always been the case and if not when did it start happening? I am afraid you may have to do a lot of detective work and start eliminating possible causes. Good luck.

Last edited:

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is it still under warranty? If so it would be worth having Apple check it over to see what the problem is. Rare, but it could be a hardware problem. I appreciate what you say about Whatsapp but the point is something that should be working isn't. Daft question but have you tried a full reset of your ipad? Another thing, has this issue always been the case and if not when did it start happening? I am afraid you may have to do a lot of detective work and start eliminating possible causes. Good luck.

Absolutely. At this point a Genius may be your best bet as I don't think many have seen this - you may be the first.

OP
superhoops

superhoops

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Barcamad. Yes I have tried a hard reset with no difference. I have had the Ipad Mini for a few months but my son only got his IPod Touch a few weeks ago and it happened straight away.

Zstairlessone, the mini is jailbroken so they wouldn't entertain looking at it. My thoughts are that the jailbreak is causing the problem but then I still would have thought I could find some other instances of it by Googling.

Your help is appreciated

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Barcamad. Yes I have tried a hard reset with no difference. I have had the Ipad Mini for a few months but my son only got his IPod Touch a few weeks ago and it happened straight away.

Zstairlessone, the mini is jailbroken so they wouldn't entertain looking at it. My thoughts are that the jailbreak is causing the problem but then I still would have thought I could find some other instances of it by Googling.

Your help is appreciated
I think you have discovered the reason, jail breaking certainly looks like the possible cause. I believe there are threads on here as to how you can restore your iPad back to its pre-jail broken state, if you so wish. May be worth trying to see if that is the reason. If it is, you have two choices, keep things as they are or jailbreak again leaving you with the same issue.
Good luck.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be one of the tweaks is affecting iMessage.jailbreaking itself shouldn't make any difference.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you got the tweak ManualCorrect installed on the Mini? It caused problems with sending/receiving photos on a jail broken iPad in the past - maybe it's still doing so?

If not, what tweaks do you have installed? Maybe if we see a list, we can help troubleshoot to figure out the problem?

Marilyn

P.S. And, since you talk about a jail broken iPad, I've taken the liberty of moving your post over to the Hacking section. Hopefully, someone there will see your post and be able to help. Thanks for your understanding.

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You see, superhoops, your prayers have been answered. This is what I love about this forum!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts