What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IMessage won't send

NeedToKnow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 with the most recent iOS available for it installed. I have the iMessage set up using my apple account email address and password and a couple email addresses in the Send & Receive. I am connected to my home wifi, which is working. I can connect to the internet. I select a recipient from my contacts and am using myself. The "Send" by the text box is blue, but not a dark blue and nothing happens when I touch it. I tried it on my iPhone 5 and sent a message to myself without a problem. It is set up the same. I have turned iMessages off and reset everything with the same result. I have it set to start new conversations using my Apple ID account email address.

I have also just discovered that if I add a photo the "send" is activated, but if I remove that photo before sending, the "send" is no longer activated. I could not find any settings about photos in the set up of the iMessages on the iPad.

Any suggestions as to,why it is not working or what I can check? I can send a test message from my iPhone and I receive it on both the iPhone 5 and iPad, but I cannot start a message with the iPad.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Last edited:
OP
N

NeedToKnow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need to add another little tidbit. I have found I can forward a message I receive on my iPad, but I cannot originate one. The forwarded message can be edited in the text box before sending, also. But starting a message will not activate the "Send" button. I am sending messages to myself using iPhone 5. I have turned my ipad off completely and then turning it on, also.

OP
N

NeedToKnow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SOLVED THE PROBLEM :)

I did not realize there is a subject line. I was typing in the subject line, not the body. Apparently, you can type a lot into that subject line. I Googled the problem again and got some better hits and found one that mentioned that maybe the person who had the same problem was typing in the subject line. After I read that, I checked and that is what I was doing. I was going to delete the post but decided to leave it in case someone searched the files for this problem. They would see what I found out. Make sure you type into the body to send an iMessage on an iPad. It would have been easier if there was just a message box or if a message would pop up stating you only entered text in the subject line and need to add text in the body. This is not an issue on an iPhone, so I had no idea. There is just the iMessage box, no subject line.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know you solved your issue. And, leaving your notes will be of great use to others, so thanks for that, also.

I'd recommend taking twerppoet up on his suggestion. That's what I've done and it makes it much easier to see only one text input field. I'm old and forgetful so anything I can do to make my life easier.... :)

Marilyn

OP
N

NeedToKnow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know you solved your issue. And, leaving your notes will be of great use to others, so thanks for that, also.

I'd recommend taking twerppoet up on his suggestion. That's what I've done and it makes it much easier to see only one text input field. I'm old and forgetful so anything I can do to make my life easier.... :)

Marilyn

You are welcome and I am going to disable the subject line. I didn't see it mentioned that it could be disabled anywhere when Googling how to set it up.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In case you didn't find it (or to help others reading this): to disable the subject line aspect of iMessage - go to the Messages tab in your Settings app. Then, on the right side, look for the line titled "Show Subject Field" and ensure it is turned OFF.

And that's it... :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts