What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iMessage not activating

ipadded cell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a new ipad2 and I can't seem to activate the iMessage. It says it can't access the network and to check it. I have an iPhone 4 that has no problem accessing the network and running imessage and facetime and I can access safari on the iPad. I have reset everything twice, yes the network settings and yes the entire ipad to factory settings with with the apple tech on the phone and still not able to activate iMessage or face time. My date and time is on auto and FaceTime won't work because I can't activate either of them. I don't think I should have to change the DNS to the google 8888. The apple techs say it may be my router and my ISP ( century link ) says it is not my router. All I know is that I have tried all of the tricks and reached an end with the apple techs. So i hear that it is not the network and not the ipad and not the router ... Now what?

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipadded cell said:
I have a new ipad2 and I can't seem to activate the iMessage. It says it can't access the network and to check it. I have an iPhone 4 that has no problem accessing the network and running imessage and facetime and I can access safari on the iPad. I have reset everything twice, yes the network settings and yes the entire ipad to factory settings with with the apple tech on the phone and still not able to activate iMessage or face time. My date and time is on auto and FaceTime won't work because I can't activate either of them. I don't think I should have to change the DNS to the google 8888. The apple techs say it may be my router and my ISP ( century link ) says it is not my router. All I know is that I have tried all of the tricks and reached an end with the apple techs. So i hear that it is not the network and not the ipad and not the router ... Now what?

Restrictions are set to allow facetime? The default is allow if you activated restrictions for anything else but worth checking.

If set to off iMessage would not function.

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

So you have activated it in Settings - Messages and input your email address here and set up your notifications and alerts. Seems very strange, Have you tried from a different wifi source at all. All I can suggest would be to give this a try.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

OP
I

ipadded cell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Restrictions are set to allow facetime? The default is allow if you activated restrictions for anything else but worth checking.

If set to off iMessage would not function.

Yeah, they restrictions are not the issue either. It is a real mystery. Since my wife's iPad is having the same issues, we are wondering if there is a DNS issue, but everyone we speak to, i.e. support techs says that everything is just fine. Well, something is not fine and I am at a loss. Thank you for your reply. I will keep trying.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipadded cell said:
Yeah, they restrictions are not the issue either. It is a real mystery. Since my wife's iPad is having the same issues, we are wondering if there is a DNS issue, but everyone we speak to, i.e. support techs says that everything is just fine. Well, something is not fine and I am at a loss. Thank you for your reply. I will keep trying.

I see you have yet to try the DNS workaround. You tried everything else...that has to be it.....right?

Let us know. Can you readily test on another wifi network?

hammad16238

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have ipad retina display ( 4 - lightning cable ). I am having this problem of imessage and facetime activation it says your username or password is in-correct. My ipad is on 6.01 so any help?

laratayeh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hammad16238 said:
I have ipad retina display ( 4 - lightning cable ). I am having this problem of imessage and facetime activation it says your username or password is in-correct. My ipad is on 6.01 so any help?

I have the same problem too dont know what to do, did you solve this problem ?? If you did please let me know how did it worked for you !!

Most reactions