What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Icons lost after Absinthe 2.0 Jailbreak

danky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded to OS 5.1.1 on my iPad 2 to Jailbreak using Absinthe 2.0.

I followed following steps -
  1. Made a backup of iPad 2 in iTunes. Subsequently, I went to Settings – General – Reset – Erased all Content and Settings.
  2. Ran latest Absinthe 2.0.4; Jailbreak completed; I could see Cydia icon on my iPad2.
  3. I returned to iTunes to restore my backup. All of a sudden, I couldn't see Photos, Mails, Settings, Cydia, Camera on my iPad 2 while all other items got synced successfully.
  4. I now felt the only option as to Restore my iPad 2 using iTunes. But it gives 3194 error. I cann't see Cydia hence don't know what SHSH blobs are saved already.
  5. Tried running Absinthe again - it says "Device already Jailbroken! Detected Stash. ".
I will appreciate help for getting these icons back. Nothing comes up even if I search in Spotlight for these - Photos/Mails/Cydia/Settings.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Before you tried all this, was your iPad2 already jail broken? Because you can't do the erase all from the Settings app on an iPad that is already jail broken...

To which iOS were you trying to restore? The only iOS you can put on is iOS 5.1.1. Try connecting your iPad back again and when it appears in iTunes, press the Restore button. iTunes should take of the rest.

If you still have problems trying to restore, have a look at this link (Failsafe Method to Restore Current iOS): http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

If you are having trouble, then if you follow the steps in this tutorial exactly, you should end up with an iPad2 on iOS 5.1.1, which will be ready to re-jailbreak with Absinthe.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
D

danky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Appreciate your quick response, Mickey.

My iPad2 was not jailbroken before I tried above steps. I am trying to restore to iOS 5.1.1 by selecting the .ipsw file. However, I get error 3194.

I will go through your link.

thanks again.

OP
D

danky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey, It worked! I am now Jailbroken. :)

I had to edit the hosts file to get this working, so glad now ! Thank you very much.

Regards,
Ankur

pkaysg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Ankur - I am facing the exact same problem as you did. Can you share with me how you fixed it? You mentioned that you edited hosts file - how to do that/what to change?

Thanks a ton.

OP
D

danky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Below is excerpted from Point no. 2 of the link Mickey provided: - (Either Use Tiny Umbrella or Do following)

if you know what the "hosts" file is and how to edit it manually, remove ALL references to gs.apple.com from the file and save it.

• On Windows the hosts file can be found in: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
  • On OSX the hosts file lives in /private/etc/hosts
Now manually restore in iTunes and you shall be done!

Ankur

Most reactions