What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ibooks crashes !! Will i / have i lost the files ?? What about re install...?

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

As some of you may recall I am pretty new to iPad . I started using iBooks to read PDF filesand store them on my ipad

Now suddenly I books crashes !! Every rime i open ibooks it closes down in less than 5 seconds !!

What should i do to get iBooks back to normal?

If I re install I books ...ie. delete the app and re install it do I loose all the files that I opened in I books? That would be a real pain !!! And many hours of work and Internet time lost

Are there any other alternative to get iBooks working and save the files that were opened in iBooks ?

I am asking this because I do not see the files thru any file manager ... I just open the PDF files in I books and they used to appear on the I books library

Tia
Regards
Subu

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try a restart, and if that does not work a reset. No need to deinstall and reinstall unless those don't work.

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

If that does not work we can talk you through making sure your books are backed up before deinstalling and reinstalling the app. However, I'm going to be very busy tomorrow, so it could be a while before I get back to see how things went.

Luck.

OP
I

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Try a restart, and if that does not work a reset. No need to deinstall and reinstall unless those don't work.

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

If that does not work we can talk you through making sure your books are backed up before deinstalling and reinstalling the app. However, I'm going to be very busy tomorrow, so it could be a while before I get back to see how things went.

Luck.

Thanks a ton for the detailed reply and words of support

This forum makes iPad a friendly ghost !! Else it would just be a ghost to me :):)

Thanks

OP
I

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

Trying these one after another

[quote="twerppoet]Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.[/quote]

Did this. Nope ....iBooks x still crashes

[quote="twerppoet]Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.[/quote]

I think I am missing something here....i ve tried holding both butons down together ...still only the "slide to power off" sign appears on the screen ... Apple logo does not appear automatically

Home is the small black depression with a square inside the depression. The power off button is on the outer frame ...

[quote="twerppoet]If that does not work we can talk you through making sure your books are backed up before deinstalling and reinstalling the app. However, I'm going to be very busy tomorrow, so it could be a while before I get back to see how things went.

Luck.[/quote]

Request you ideas to back up the I books...tomorrow ..day after ... All ok...

Tks again
Regards
Subu

OP
I

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad.subj said:
twerppoet]Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.[/quote] I think I am missing something here....i ve tried holding both butons down together ...still only the "slide to power off" sign appears on the screen ... Apple logo does not appear automatically Home is the small black depression with a square inside the depression. The power off button is on the outer frame ...u[/QUOTE] Done this too !! Still I books crashes [quote="ipad.subj said:
Request you ideas to back up the I books...tomorrow ..day after ... All ok...

Tks again
Regards
Subu

OP
I

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad.subu said:
I think I am missing something here....i ve tried holding both butons down together ...still only the "slide to power off" sign appears on the screen ... Apple logo does not appear automatically

Home is the small black depression with a square inside the depression. The power off button is on the outer frame ...u

Done this too !! Still I books crashes

[/QUOTE]

Hi

Await your help in backing up books within I books and then re installing the same

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
[quote="twerppoet]Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Home is the small black depression with a square inside the depression. The power off button is on the outer frame ...

Keep holding it down until it does reboot. Ignore the power off slider.

Ok, the first thing to try is to see if the books will transfer to iTunes. This may or may not work. Book that are added directly to iBooks by any method other than the iBooks Store often won't copy back to the iTunes library.

First, before you connect the iPad, go to Preferences in iTunes and turn off auto-syncing. You'll find the option under the Devices tab. This will stop the iPad from syncing when you don't want it to. It also stops iTunes from launching every time you plug in the iPad.

Connect the iPad, select it under the Devices list in iTunes, right click, and choose Transfer Purchases. If you haven't done this in a long time, or never, it will take a long time. It will attempt to copy all you music, apps, movies, and books purchased on the iPad to the iTunes library.

When it is done check the Books section under the Library in iTunes to see if you books transferred. If they did, the you are ok to delete and re-add iBooks. You can sync the books back later. If not, then we'll have to do this one of two way.

The more tedious menthol is to go into iBooks and email all the PDF files back to yourself. After you've reloaded iBooks you can either email them back to your iPad, or copy them to iTunes for syncing.

I considered using a backup and restore from backup, but I don't think iTunes will include books in that backup. The info I have on it is not conclusive, but suggests it won't.

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are there any known issues with heavily illustrated ebooks?

I recently made the purchase of a perennial favorite of mine, An Illustrated Guide To David Brin's Uplift Universe by David Brin and Kevin Lenaugh.

Yeah.... It crashes iBooks with a resolve that is tenacious.

It is the only book that does this and the only thing I can think that makes this book different to others is the heavy amount of illustration (it is an 'illustrated guide' after all).

Is this a 'known problem' with such books or do I have a one-off problem?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wreybies said:
Are there any known issues with heavily illustrated ebooks?

I recently made the purchase of a perennial favorite of mine, An Illustrated Guide To David Brin's Uplift Universe by David Brin and Kevin Lenaugh.

Yeah.... It crashes iBooks with a resolve that is tenacious.

It is the only book that does this and the only thing I can think that makes this book different to others is the heavy amount of illustration (it is an 'illustrated guide' after all).

Is this a 'known problem' with such books or do I have a one-off problem?

I haven't heard of it being a common problem. If you haven't done so try the restart and/or reset mentioned in an earlier post. You could also try deleting the book and re-downloading it.

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't heard of it being a common problem. If you haven't done so try the restart and/or reset mentioned in an earlier post. You could also try deleting the book and re-downloading it.

Ok, so I tried this and it seems to work, but...

I also thought to remove two other books which I had downloaded in sample form. The book in question that was crashing was also originally downloaded in sample form. I bought the book from within the sample which was my first wariness.

The crashiness did not go away until I made the other two sample books go bye-bye. The reason I thought to try this is that I noted in the three sample books that I had download that somehow they were affecting one another in that whatever page number I left off of in sample book A would be the same page number that sample book B opened up to though it was the first time ever opening sample book B.

So... could be the smoking gun, could be a red herring. Who knows.

Regardless, the book works now so happiness is with me. Many thanks. ;)

EDIT ~ The book is still a little bit crashie. By that I mean it lets me actually read quite a few pages before shutting the app down now and not all of the illustrations display completely, as if they were still loading.... but never finish. Oh well... Lesson learned. Cost of lesson: $11.99.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, good to know about the sample books. I'll have to remember that if I have problems.

Are you using and iPad 1 or 2, and do you know what iOS version you are using" I don't think there is much more I can do for you, but it would be good to know if problem this crops up again.

Did you restart the iPad, or just re-download the book? Restarting the iPad, or closing all apps in the multi-task bar should free up the maximum amount of RAM, and maybe reduce the number of crashes. This could be important on the iPad 1 with it's much more limited RAM.

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, good to know about the sample books. I'll have to remember that if I have problems.

Are you using and iPad 1 or 2, and do you know what iOS version you are using" I don't think there is much more I can do for you, but it would be good to know if problem this crops up again.

Did you restart the iPad, or just re-download the book? Restarting the iPad, or closing all apps in the multi-task bar should free up the maximum amount of RAM, and maybe reduce the number of crashes. This could be important on the iPad 1 with it's much more limited RAM.

Um, ok. iPad 1st gen, 64gb WIFI iOS 4.3.3

And yeah, I made sure to close up everything and rebooted to remove anything else that might try to hog the stage from my book. The last variable to remove is the Redsn0w jailbreak. As in the past with other jailbreaks I have done, I had fun for a while, enjoyed being 'naughty', and then got over it. This evening I will be reverting back the unaltered, State sanctioned iOS that every good comrade should hold to his/her bosom with pride because in Soviet Russia, iPad jailbreaks you! :eek:;) Plus, the pad was never quite as silky smooth after the j/b and that's the kind of thing that drives me to distraction.

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Disenjailbreakification complete and now my book is all good. I gave it a thorough run-through lest I have to take back my words as before, and the problem seems to be truly resolved.

Most reactions