What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBook help

Vett

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For some reason I can't get iBook app to work when I open it I just get a page with two books I saved but can't do anything else, at one time I was able to search for books. I have no trouble on my iPhone ! Am I doing something wrong?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello - since you posted in the iPad 4 forum, I'm assuming you own an older iPad 4th generation which is limited to iOS 10.3.3 - is that what is installed on your device - might help in the responses? When an app misbehaves, the first step is to do a 'Force Close' (directions HERE, if applicable to your iOS) - if not effective, then 'reboot' your device, i.e. hold both the ON-OFF & HOME buttons until the Apple logo appears (may take 10+ secs), release and allow the iPad to open - check iBooks and post back your results. Dave :)

OP
Vett

Vett

iPF Novice
Reaction score
10.3.3 is what's installed. None of the other things worked either.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
10.3.3 is what's installed. None of the other things worked either.

Sorry that the reboot did not work - often solves these issues. Your next step is to delete the iBooks app from your device and then reinstall - some information HERE for iOS 10.x - good luck. Dave :)

OP
Vett

Vett

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry that was the first thing I tried.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry that was the first thing I tried.

Well, seems like you already know the steps to follow - :) Just curious if the iBooks app started to misbehave after an iOS 10.x update or never worked correctly w/ that version?

Before I make the next suggestion, have you also tried to restore the iOS from a backup in iTunes or iCloud? If not, some more details HERE, if not familiar w/ the procedure. Dave

Last edited:

Nobodysathome

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rather than ask for support, I’ll share my efforts...following version 13.3 update my vast array of epubs and pdfs vanished (two months ago). I contacted Apple innumerable times, without results, I went to the Genius Reservations but they were inexperienced and escalated the case. I returned to telephone support and again I was sent to inexperienced assistance. I am an Apple user of thirty plus years, I can usually troubleshoot independently. However, the data is there based on storage, the application seems to be working but the link between the application and data location seems to be broken.
Disclaimer::: I do not use iCloud therefore recovering data from there is not an option and it isn’t backed up in iTunes. This is the second time following a software update this has happened. Has anyone had a similar experience and were there specifics that worked to successfully recover data?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So... You’re not syncing with iCloud, backing up to iCloud, or backing up to iTunes? Do you have some other backup method? Because if not, there is no mechanism to rescue lost data.

Computers lose data. Even when it looks like it’s still there, it can be corrupted, or the file system can lose track of where it’s stored. Short of specialized data recover tools (not available on iOS) there is no chance of getting it back. Well, short of a miracle. I hope Apple pulls one off for you, but It seems unlikely.

That’s why backups are important.

I know this probably sounds harsh and lecturing; but that’s the reality. If it’s important, you need to keep in in more than one place.

Nobodysathome

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your communication. I agree with everything you’ve stated.

I use an e-book management tool, however until ‘Books’ formerly iBooks was reconfigured, I preferred the formatting and relied on it’s accessibility since it is a
user-friendly application.

Based on my current predicament, I am in the process of exploring an Apple compatible data recovery tool to restore my data, then I can begin the process of data recovery. I am not relying on Apple.

Cheers.

Most reactions