What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ibook file types.

chubb3g114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
Just a bit confused using ibook, I have many books in PDF but some of the print is to small to read so have changed the file type using Calibre to EPUB using Dropbox to load them onto ibook I just get the message "this type of file can't be viewed". Am I doing something wrong?

chubb3g114

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Afaik it's not possible to get ebooks to iBooks through Dropbox.
Put them on your desktop, load them to the iTunes library on the computer and then sync them to iBooks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Though DropBox itself can not display ePub files, it should still be able to save them to iBooks.

• Select the file and wait for it to download. DrobBox will say it can not view the file. This does not matter.
  • Tap the share icon (box with up arrow).
  • Tap the Open In icon (in the lower row of gray icons).
  • Select iBooks.

iBooks should open and display the book.

Hold in mind that ePub's added directly to iBooks this way are not backed up in either your iCloud or iTunes backups. Nor will they sync back to the computer. Keep a copy elsewhere if you don't want to lose it. Leaving it in DropBox is fine, if you have the space.

Then again, you said you did the conversion in Calibre. There is probably copy there, and it's as good a place to keep it as any.

OP
C

chubb3g114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,

Twerppoet, followed your instructions and it worked, thank you.

chubb3g114

Most reactions