What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems with Ibooks

TracySC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is anyone else having problems with ibooks - I can open a book ok but when I tried to, scroll back to beginning page or click to get the little library icon up to choose a different book, I tap but the toolbar isn't coming up. I have to plug into the main computer to get it to display the top tool bar in ibooks - am I doing anything wrong or is there a fault somewhere?

Thankyou

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
First, 'force close' iBooks, i.e. open the multi-task bar (double click the home button or use multi-finger gesturing w/ an upward swipe) @ the bottom of the screen; find the iBooks icon, then press & hold until all jiggle; hit the red minus sign on the iBooks icon; return to the home screen and re-open iBooks - if this does not correct the problem, then 'restart' and if ineffective 'reset' your iPad (Directions HERE) - good luck! :)

OP
T

TracySC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks will give it a go -if I reset will I loose everything I had stored?

I have noticed that the circle in the top right hand corner keeps going round and round - wonder if that is 'telling me something'..

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks will give it a go -if I reset will I loose everything I had stored?

I have noticed that the circle in the top right hand corner keeps going round and round - wonder if that is 'telling me something'..

No, a 'reset' as explained in the link is like 'rebooting' a computer - no data will be lost - good luck! :)

OP
T

TracySC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is 'odd' I have pulled up the bottom of the screen as suggested but there isn't an 'ibooks' icon there! How do I get one? Thankyou

OP
T

TracySC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
whoops giradman our links crossed there..thankyou for helping I will try a rest like u suggested and see if the icon for ibooks comes up at the bottom of the screen!

OP
T

TracySC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, sorry I'm back again I've done the forced re start but no change - the circle keeps turning round and I am unable to do anything with my ibooks.
Thinking about it, I updated ibooks via itunes today - it has been working fine up until then..
GRRR it is so annoying when it doesn't work -

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is 'odd' I have pulled up the bottom of the screen as suggested but there isn't an 'ibooks' icon there! How do I get one? Thankyou

Hi Tracy - when the multi-task bar is opened, there are many more icons that can be seen on just one bottom screen - you need to use a finger and scroll right or left to find the appropriate iBooks icon; also make sure that you indeed are bringing up the task bar - should look like the image below. Good luck - Dave

Screen-Shot-2012-03-16-at-2.07.11-AM.jpg

OP
T

TracySC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, Yes, I've swiped and there is no icon there for ibooks newstand is there and I've even looked in there but it's not there - Gremlins at work eh..

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, Yes, I've swiped and there is no icon there for ibooks newstand is there and I've even looked in there but it's not there - Gremlins at work eh..

Hmmm - no icon in the multi-task bar; I'm assuming that you still have an iBooks icon on your home page? First, make sure that you did the 're-set' correctly (requires holding the ON/OFF & HOME buttons simultaneously until the iPad shuts down)? If so, then I would suggest deleting the app from your iPad and returning to the App store for a re-install; now this will remove what is in the bookshelf, but if not much, then can be easily restored. If you want to proceed, do you know 'how' to delete an app? Again, good luck - I just updated iBooks but have not really tested it yet - Dave :)

OP
T

TracySC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ahh I see, no I didn't hold buttons in at the same time so I will try that now - (I do have ibooks icon on main page) just not the bottom, oh and Dave - I have 9GB of books.. I would be most upset if I had to remove them all - hope I can avoid this..'ouch'..

OP
T

TracySC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok just done the reset but that blooming circle is still going round and round at the top of the page and I still have no icon at the bottom when I look -
I'm so reluctant to remove ibook and start again such a lot of work involved..(I didn't save it in my itunes library - I used a folder on my computer so a lot of adding to do if I have to remove the icon and start again. I think I will wait a day or so and see if it settles down...but thankyou so much for being there and offering advice - much appreciated..

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok just done the reset but that blooming circle is still going round and round at the top of the page and I still have no icon at the bottom when I look -
I'm so reluctant to remove ibook and start again such a lot of work involved..(I didn't save it in my itunes library - I used a folder on my computer so a lot of adding to do if I have to remove the icon and start again. I think I will wait a day or so and see if it settles down...but thankyou so much for being there and offering advice - much appreciated..

OK, Tracy - let's go over the steps: 1) concerning the re-set, did you hold down both buttoms mentioned until the iPad screen went blank; if so, then you need to hold down the start button for a re-boot; and 2) are you sure that you are bringing up the multitask bar? Please return to my post w/ the image - if the bar is appearing, are you swiping w/ a finger to show the many icons that are present? It's hard to imagine why you have the iBooks icon on the 'home page' and if used not in the multitask bar? Just some thoughts - Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just in case:

If an app is open, it won't appear on the multitask bar. You have to close the app first before you can remove it from RAM from the multitask bar.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just in case:

If an app is open, it won't appear on the multitask bar. You have to close the app first before you can remove it from RAM from the multitask bar.

Hi TP - usually I have my apps closed when entering the multitask bar, but just left iBooks opened and double clicked the 'home' button and the icon was not present - quite a subtlety that is new to me; so, thanks for the explanation - not sure if that is the issue w/ our OP but worth a consideration - glad that you 'chimed in' on this thread - Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts