What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to order the Apple TV ~ Now!

OneMarcil

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Question...

Which is better?

Apple TV 1 with the hard drive feature where one can store information on a hard drive for later viewing or Apple TV 2 that works without a hard drive? Also why do you prefer Apple TV 1 or Apple TV 2?

Sent from my iPad 32gb WIFI 3G 1st generation.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that comes down to personal choice and how you decide to integrate it with the rest of your home entertainment kit. Personally, I like all my media to be in one place, and have my various devices fetch it from there - so the ATV2 is best for me. (it even bothers me that my cable recordings are 'in' a different box!). Other people don't like having their PC (be it 'normal' or HTPC or media server) turned on all the time, so they liked being able to synch various bits of their library to their ATV1. I was never interested in the ATV1, but I ordered the ATV2 in the first week they were available. I'm not saying the ATV1 people were wrong - just different ;)

It's worth pointing out the little curiosities with the ATV2 as well - like if you rent a movie from iTunes on your ATV2 (connection speed dependent) you can watch it immediately, without having to download the entire film first - BUT - you can only watch it on your ATV2. If you rent a movie on your iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch - you have to wait for the whole film to download, but you can watch it on your device OR your TV via ATV2 and AirPlay. It's not a complaint, as I can kind of understand the logic behind it.. It's just curious for a 'system' which is so well integrated.

Although they are named the same; they're both very different things IMO.

Last edited:

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Prasius said:
For the benefit of non-US forum users, and those that just want to stream their iTunes store/library media - you do not need a Netflix subscription.

Sorry, This was in reference to Marie saying she wanted to watch Netflix. To watch your own library or rent from Itunes, no, of course not. BTW, I read this week that Netflix is gearing up for International streaming, likely Europe first.

In reply to the comments about "inexpensive at Best Buy" LOL--it was something like $20. They had all the expensive ones too of course but did have the $20 and $30 ones.

Diane

Last edited:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Prasius said:
In reply to the comments about "inexpensive at Best Buy" LOL--it was something like $20. They had all the expensive ones too of course but did have the $20 and $30 ones.
Monoprice...6ft 28AWG High Speed HDMI Cable w/Ferrite Cores...$3.28. Or if you want to go all out..."Premium" 6ft 24AWG CL2 High Speed HDMI Cable w/ Net Jacket...$7.16. ;)

Last edited:

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey assuming all of you guys own a iPad, you can stream media to the 2nd gen Apple TV, using AirPlay.

Last edited by a moderator:

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
biobunny said:
Hey assuming all of you guys own a iPad, you can stream media to the 2nd gen Apple TV, using AirPlay.

Meaning you're hard drive is your iPad!

OneMarcil

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was told that purchasing a New Apple Digital AV Adapter (HDMI) Part No. MC953ZMA this would do the same as a Apple TV would. All one has to do is purchase h HDMI cable which are inexpensive on eBay.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OneMarcil said:
I was told that purchasing a New Apple Digital AV Adapter (HDMI) Part No. MC953ZMA this would do the same as a Apple TV would. All one has to do is purchase h HDMI cable which are inexpensive on eBay.

So that means you might as well get a HDMI Adapter thing, which I believe should cost 70$.

OneMarcil

iPF Novice
Reaction score
biobunny said:
So that means you might as well get a HDMI Adapter thing, which I believe should cost 70$.

Check this number on EBay 160566035935.

Cost me 42.00 including shipping. The device arrived need to pick up at post office tomorrow.

OneMarcil

iPF Novice
Reaction score
biobunny said:
And some hacks can turn it into a media center!

Yes all one does is connect the IPAD to the device and hook up a HDMI cable. I am not sure if I need the male to male of female to female. That I will have to figure out. I am new to all this HDMI IPAD stuff.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OneMarcil said:
Yes all one does is connect the IPAD to the device and hook up a HDMI cable. I am not sure if I need the male to male of female to female. That I will have to figure out. I am new to all this HDMI IPAD stuff.

Any side of the HDMI cable will do.

Sent from my interestingcompanionPad using iPF!

OneMarcil

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just purchased a 25 foot male to male HDMI cable for 11.99. That should work.

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok Marie , you've read my mind when you opened up this thread. I'm going to order one right now .It's like the best thing ever .

Ow and hdmi cables are all the same .

Most reactions