What's new
Apple iPad Forum

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to order the Apple TV ~ Now!

Joined
Jan 22, 2011
Messages
3,192
Reaction score
13
Location
Outside my iPad, or was it inside?
SweetPoison said:
hmm....could you translate this?

The Apple TV streams audio and video, this includes Youtube, Netflix and iTunes movies from iTunes (PC/Mac). The Apple TV then connects to the TV via HDMI.

Any of this can also be done the same way with an iPad. You can connect the iPad via HDMI to the TV, stream movies from your desktop iTunes to the iPad and display it on the TV, play Youtube and Netflix, etc.. The two devices just function in a very similar way.

There are still advantages the Apple TV has over the iPad, just not enough for me to buy:
- Remote control for Apple TV (the iPad cannot be remote controlled, so you would need a long HDMI cable to have it in range to control videos, etc. while watching TV)
- the Apple TV is always there ready to be used, while the iPad might be used by someone else.
- Dolby Digital 5.1 (iPad only supports 2.1)

Btw. this is my personal opinion. I can see various cases where the Apple TV will be useful, especially in families.
 
Last edited:
OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Joined
Jun 20, 2010
Messages
14,913
Reaction score
134
Location
Sacramento, California
The model 1 AppleTV was white and had a built in hard drive where you stored your media, that is no longer necessary since you can share your media library with your other Apple devices. I think he is saying that if you have media stored on your iPad you can get a
cable to plug it directly in to your TV and share it that way.

Tom

P.S. You can rent flicks from iTunes and stream that also


Thank you, Tom. Hey, they do show the white one on their site.





SweetPoison said:
hmm....could you translate this?

The Apple TV streams audio and video, this includes Youtube, Netflix and iTunes movies from iTunes (PC/Mac). The Apple TV then connects to the TV via HDMI.

Any of this can also be done the same way with an iPad. You can connect the iPad via HDMI to the TV, stream movies from your desktop iTunes to the iPad and display it on the TV, play Youtube and Netflix, etc.. The two devices just function in a very similar way.

There are still advantages the Apple TV has over the iPad, just not enough for me to buy:
- Remote control for Apple TV (the iPad cannot be remote controlled, so you would need a long HDMI cable to have it in range to control videos, etc. while watching TV)
- the Apple TV is always there ready to be used, while the iPad might be used by someone else.
- Dolby Digital 5.1 (iPad only supports 2.1)

Btw. this is my personal opinion. I can see various cases where the Apple TV will be useful, especially in families.

I don't really want Apple TV so I can stream from my iPad ~ just every thing else mentioned.

So ~ what would make you think it was worth it? And please, speak Marie.:D
 

Seadog

iPF Noob
Joined
Mar 25, 2010
Messages
2,522
Reaction score
52
Location
Oklahoma
The (black) AppleTV (2) is a good device. You plug it into the wall socket, connect to the TV, and then go through the setup program. Whatever router you use to connect to the internet is your access to iTunes/Netflix/and all others. For example, I download videos from available sources onto my desktop and convert to iTunes. From there, I watch the shows on my TV through the AppleTV. I can also watch the shows on my iPad, but that is a different story.
 

Prasius

iPF Noob
Joined
Jul 23, 2010
Messages
374
Reaction score
1
Location
Uk
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
The Apple TV2 doesn't have a hard drive anymore, so any content displayed needs to be streamed. Anything an Apple TV does can essentially also be achieved by connecting an iPad via HDMI to the TV, except for 5.1 sound that is.

I have also considered the purchase of an Apple TV, but in the end couldn't justify it‘s purchase.

Except who wants to sit right next to their TV using their iPad which now has a big cable hanging out of the side?

The thing I really like about the AppleTV is being able to be around the house, tap away from a web page on the iPad, hit the remote app, flick through all my music, pick an album, hit play for it to go straight to my Home theatre set-up, and just tap back to a web page. I admit I really only use my AppleTV as an iTunes 'front end' for my HTPC (take a look at the other thread here!), but that - along with the remote apps for the iPad/iPhone makes it worth the $100 to me. I do think you have more utility for it in the US as well - I wish the AppleTV had BBC iPlayer, etc on it over here.. :(
 

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Joined
Jun 24, 2010
Messages
826
Reaction score
20
Location
Antelope, OR
SweetPoison said:
I def trust what both of you guys say. So ~ is there an Apple TV2?:eek: All the time I was checking this out, I never saw a 2.

Okay ~ Bob! That link to the cable, it is only $2.20 if you buy $22 more of items, to get that price. I think. If I read that right.

These guys are right. Decent inexpensive cables will do just fine. It's all digital. You either get a picture or you don't. There's really no in-between. The differences in video quality between a cheaper cable and a more expensive one are so minute most people don't even notice and videophiles spot only because they know what to look for (and they're more sensitive to subtle changes).

Anyway, Fry's there in Roseville has a 6' Atlona HDMI (single band, which is fine for most people) for $5.00. A 10' one for just under $9, etc.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF
 

richsadams

iPF Noob
Joined
Mar 23, 2011
Messages
3,500
Reaction score
99
Location
NW Left Coast
Hey Guys ~<snip>
Our Apple TV2 has been awesome since day one (the day it was released). Buy it, you'll love it. It's the perfect companion to the iPad, iPhoto, iTunes and will soon have many more options and features.

There is also a free Apple iPad Remote App that lets you control your Apple TV (as well as iTunes, etc.)...very useful if for nothing other than having a keyboard to input those long passwords and conduct searches.

Monoprice is absolutely the best place to purchase cables and accessories of any sort. They carry first quality products at über reasonable prices, their customer service is excellent and delivery is extremely fast. (Amazon cables are great too...I've just always used Monoprice).

Enjoy your new Apple TV!
 
Last edited:
Joined
Jan 22, 2011
Messages
3,192
Reaction score
13
Location
Outside my iPad, or was it inside?
Prasius said:
Except who wants to sit right next to their TV using their iPad which now has a big cable hanging out of the side?

The thing I really like about the AppleTV is being able to be around the house, tap away from a web page on the iPad, hit the remote app, flick through all my music, pick an album, hit play for it to go straight to my Home theatre set-up, and just tap back to a web page. I admit I really only use my AppleTV as an iTunes 'front end' for my HTPC (take a look at the other thread here!)

That is exactly what my iPad does. I browse music, hit play and it streams the music directly to my speakers. Any sound from the iPad goes to the speakers and if I want to watch video, it gets connects via HDMI. My point is, that since the Apple TV only acts as a front end, anything it does can also be done from an iPad. Sure, I could get an Apple TV, and then use the iPad as a remote control to choose what songs the Apple TV should play, but why not just do it directly from the iPad?

I guess it depends on whether you have an AirPort Express, if not, then an Apple TV offers more functionality, but having both is a bit of an overkill, at least the way I use them.
 
Last edited:

Prasius

iPF Noob
Joined
Jul 23, 2010
Messages
374
Reaction score
1
Location
Uk
Mtnmedic said:
and videophiles spot only because they know what to look for (and they're more sensitive to subtle changes).

....and they need to make up rubbish to justify why they've spent $100&rsquo;s on a cable for no good reason. ;) I will say that analogue cables (such as speaker 'wire') - is a different beast and quality IS everything.

Fair point if you have the AirPort Express regarding music by the way, and I can understand the reluctance to spend the money if you don't use that much video from your iTunes.
 
Joined
Jan 22, 2011
Messages
3,192
Reaction score
13
Location
Outside my iPad, or was it inside?
Oh well, just checked the prices for AirPort Express and Apple TV. They cost the same. In Scotland Apcharges 25% more for an ITV than for an APE.

AirPlay is so convenient for home use, I thought the TV was more than the APE. But given the circumstances, I would definitely advise any US iPad owner to buy an Apple TV, even if it where just for streaming audio.
 
Last edited:
OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Joined
Jun 20, 2010
Messages
14,913
Reaction score
134
Location
Sacramento, California
Well ~ I blew my Apple TV. I was near my aquarium store and I went in saying to myself, fish apple TV, fish Apple TV.

Fish won. They are beautiful! They are in quarantine right now for 6 weeks then in the main tank.

I will get my Apple TV in a few months! Don't forget me guys!:D
 

biobunny

iPF Noob
Joined
Feb 14, 2011
Messages
911
Reaction score
17
SweetPoison said:
Hey Guys ~

But I am confused about some things ~ I know I can stream movies from my Netflix ~ but I don't understand what they mean below.:eek:

From where am I going to stream movies, TV shows, photos? I have Comcast, so I hope that is okay. Then the other states I can rent more TV shows and rentals..

From....where?

Stream movies, TV shows, music, photos, and more to the smaller, redesigned Apple TV. All you need is a single cable to set it up.

Instant movie and
TV show rentals.
Rent movies and TV shows, commercial free in HD. HD movies start at $3.99 and TV shows are just 99¢ per episode.

Next ~

They say I need an HMDI cable. That's it. So they direct you a page with like 100 freakin HMDI cables! umm....No.

Which one?

Last but not least ~ I have a 52' HD LG Flat screen. Apple will be compatible with that?

I think that is it. For now.:D

Hey you can stream your music, videos, pictures, and YouTube (easier to use) to your Apple TV using your iPad.
 

Attachments

  • image-2543841557.png
    image-2543841557.png
    310.2 KB · Views: 201

Diane B

iPF Novice
Joined
May 8, 2010
Messages
884
Reaction score
215
Location
North Carolina
SweetPoison said:
I def trust what both of you guys say. So ~ is there an Apple TV2?:eek: All the time I was checking this out, I never saw a 2.

Okay ~ Bob! That link to the cable, it is only $2.20 if you buy $22 more of items, to get that price. I think. If I read that right.

Apple TV 1 isn't available anymore, its the original white one. The only one you can buy is the 2 and its just referred to as Apple TV. You'll need a Netflix subscription and it basically acts as a router to your TV. Netflix will just stream to your TV the same as to your Ipad--or either depending. Be sure to download the remote app from the app store and use gestures on the Ipad to control the Apple TV. You can stream podcasts from Itunes, Youtube, Flickr, Airplay to show your photos from Ipad Photos on screen and lots more. Love mine. I watch a streaming Netflix movie on the Ipad while I ride my exercise bike, then come downstairs and watch the rest on my TV via Apple TV. BTW, they are right about HDMI cable. We bought a very inexpensive one at Best Buy after the Apple TV was delivered.

Diane
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts

Top