What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple TV as Audio Only Streamer

jazzhands

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I was thinking of getting an Airport Express to stream audio from my Ipad and iTunes to the hifi, however rumour has it that a new AE is out some time in the future (no dates available) and stocks of the current model are limited.
An alternative would be to get an Apple TV (not much price increase over AE) and just use that for streaming the audio - though I would need an external DAC or some kind of break out cable to take the audio from the HDMI out - don't even know if you can get one of these?
I don't have a HD TV so the TV features aren't much use yet but the missus says I can get one next year so not a wasted investment.
Does anybody use their Apple TV for audio only or know if what I am suggesting is possible?

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple TV will interface with a shared iTunes library on the network so it will play songs natively through the TV and entertainment system it's connected to. No need to stream from the iPad unless you have music on the iPad that you don't have in iTunes. If you do it works fine.

OP
J

jazzhands

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Any idea how I can break out the audio from HDMI to connect to my amp via RCS connectors?

Most reactions

Latest posts