What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to hear from all you 3G ipad owners, has it been worth it?

Ipad007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Catfiend said:
Just because you're only 15 doesn't mean you're not smart, it doesn't even imply that you're not wise. Experienced, maybe not ;)

That did come across as I am saying that I am not smart. Maybe I should edit that. :) as it says, I am an iPad master!

you have finally reached Jedi status young Luke Skywalker. Dont Let the temptations of the darkside overwhelm you.

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mobi1 said:
I don't see any point in 3G models. If you have any smart phone, with suitable app, you can turn it into Wifi hotspot. Then simply connect your iPad.

Agreed. My tiny Palm Pre cell phone is always with me when I'm away, makes a nice free hotspot, and has GPS. Wifi is almost everywhere I go so I rarely need to use it anyway.

I may think differently when I'm ready to switch cell phones next year. Other phones don't make hotspots for free on Verizon.

(The only thing I regret is paying so much for the 64GB model. 16 or 32 GB would have worked for me. )

Bostonvince

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everyone can agree that you should buy an Ipad that you think will suit you. Try it out for 13 days.. If in fact you make a mistake and need another model, you can get up at 7:00am an go to the apple store(before the 14th day) and happily exchange it for the one you want. If it is passed the the 14th day I guess good ol' C2C E-Commerce(ebay) is your next step.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
I agree. It is just a choice ~ a decision.

Not sure what this means, but I'm thinkin it isn't real warm and fuzzy.;)

Haha.. Crackers is British English for crazy.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Right. I so knew that.:eek:

Catfiend said:
Just because you're only 15 doesn't mean you're not smart, it doesn't even imply that you're not wise. Experienced, maybe not ;)

That did come across as I am saying that I am not smart. Maybe I should edit that. :) as it says, I am an iPad master!

Too funny.

dabears

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One reason, my first iPad was wifi and I ended up leaving that at home most of the time. I sold it and bought an iPad 2 3G and ever since then, I had more reason to take it with me anywhere. Any regrets? Nope, I love the flexibility of having 3G and I can use my iPad 2 to it's highest potential than ever before.

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know, if you actually pay for a hotspot on your cell phone it will run you $29.99 per month (on Sprint) per phone while the 3g on the iPad is only $14.99. If you're lucky enough to be able to hack your phone so you can get a free hotspot then that's great. I hacked my Palm Pre pretty easily but when I change phones soon, I will be out of luck. I'm so glad that I got the 3g pad. It makes life so much easier.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Ipad007 said:
you have finally reached Jedi status young Luke Skywalker. Dont Let the temptations of the darkside overwhelm you.

darn it, i want to go and watch them all now.... lol

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
Saying that 'buying ipad wifi only is dumb' is a dumb statement itself.

Buying ipad wifi only is actually smart, you can buy a wifi only ipad AND a mifi device for LESS that the cost of an ipad 3g. And with a mifi device u can hook it up to multiple devices, proves to be more cost effective that an ipad 3g.

Do some research before making ridiculous statements next time OP.

Using that logic then it would cost less to buy a video camera, Kindle, MP3 player, and PSP and just bypass the iPad altogether. I want my one device to do it all with access everywhere (anytime) I go. I agree that saying one is "smarter" or "dumber" than another is silly. It really depends on the user preference which is why they make different models. I want both, I can afford both, I choose both.

Just to add to that, in a business meeting the other day an associate without 3G and intermittent WiFi in the building was unable to open a critical webpage. Fortunately, my WiFi/3G model was with me. Meeting saved!

Evelyn.TME

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I bought my iPad, I was being cautious because I wasn't sure if it would be everything I needed it to be. I bought a 16GB WiFi only. I have owned it for about 5 or 6 months and I have only encountered 1 or 2 instances where not having 3G was painful. Also, I have no issue with the harddrive size. I use dropbox and pogoplug so the space consuming things like music and movies and lists of pdfs are not always directly on my iPad. This isn't a problem for me because most of the places I have been going have wifi that I can access without a fee. As spring approaches, I think it might be nice to take my iPad with me when I travel or just to sit in a park, but I think there's a simple solution to the lack of 3G in my iPad so I can still do these things. My cell phone carrier provides a small card-like portable wifi generator. I can purchase one of these and subscribe for the service during the time frames when I need it, then turn it off and not pay for it during the time frames when I don't. Plus, I am able to use my laptop (which does do more than the iPad at times) on this same card, whereas with the 3G I would not be able to.

So for everyone that thinks bigger is better, you can keep spending your money, but I have access to almost 1 terabyte of music and movies from my iPad with the ability to minimize the cost of subscribing to a wifi provider because I thought outside the box and found alternatives that ended up costing less than the 64GB 3G iPad.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Evelyn.TME said:
When I bought my iPad, I was being cautious because I wasn't sure if it would be everything I needed it to be. I bought a 16GB WiFi only. I have owned it for about 5 or 6 months and I have only encountered 1 or 2 instances where not having 3G was painful. Also, I have no issue with the harddrive size. I use dropbox and pogoplug so the space consuming things like music and movies and lists of pdfs are not always directly on my iPad. This isn't a problem for me because most of the places I have been going have wifi that I can access without a fee. As spring approaches, I think it might be nice to take my iPad with me when I travel or just to sit in a park, but I think there's a simple solution to the lack of 3G in my iPad so I can still do these things. My cell phone carrier provides a small card-like portable wifi generator. I can purchase one of these and subscribe for the service during the time frames when I need it, then turn it off and not pay for it during the time frames when I don't. Plus, I am able to use my laptop (which does do more than the iPad at times) on this same card, whereas with the 3G I would not be able to.

So for everyone that thinks bigger is better, you can keep spending your money, but I have access to almost 1 terabyte of music and movies from my iPad with the ability to minimize the cost of subscribing to a wifi provider because I thought outside the box and found alternatives that ended up costing less than the 64GB 3G iPad.

good for you that your mobile phone carrier provides you with a portable wifi access gadget, but not all mobile phone companies do, also, not everyone lives in a country that cafe's etc offer free internet access, so then, what do those people that are with those companies going to do? not to mention not all mobile companies are as generous in all countries.

SueInBoston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the 3G model for the "just in case I need it" factor and this past week has proven that I made the right choice. Just in case, I activated 3G with AT&T before we left, bought 2 GB just in case :)

I went college touring with my child this past week, 3 days, 700 miles/ 6 colleges. I'm a planner so I had printed all the maps and directions, every address into the GPS. What I didn't take into account is that the school's street address is not necessary where the parking lot is or where the admission office is located. There were many occasions when I was glad to just turn on 3G and able to look up info as I need it. Of course there were probably Starbucks with free wifi around, but I was just glad that I had it readily available.

Most reactions

Latest posts