What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I HATE screen protectors

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good lord - I so hate screen protectors. Several years ago I swore them off forever. So I got my 3G iPad and bought the Square Trade warranty with the screen replacement policy.

Today I received my MareWare Eco-Vue case. Really nice - I'm a little concerned about the tab that holds the unit in - but it appears to be a solid good looking unit. I am also surprised a bit in that I was concerned the bulkiness would turn me off - and I actually prefer the feel more than the Apple case - it feels more stable / secure.

I digress - the unit also came with a screen protector. So - I just spent 10 minutes trying to get this thing on. Cleaned the screen dusted with a microfiber - got my credit cards, etc.

My mistake - I forgot I needed to install the protector in a clean room used for assembling nuclear triggers. I ended up with about a dozen small bubbles spread out all over the damned thing - which I probably could have worked most out - but alas - a piece of dust the size of a micron (probably moon dust) remains - looking like I need to call the windshield chip-fill people to fix my damaged screen protector.

Enough of this crap - goodbye screen protector - hello screen!

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
David, i already say that long time a go screen protector is crapy stuff, but many people they want one so they feel more safe …. it’s like this and we can’t change them it’s why many supplier include it in their package

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I quit screen "protectors" years ago. Screen looks great and no problems for years on multiple devices. To me they are just another gimmick.....

If you use your iPad as intended, there is simply no need for a screen protector. On the other hand, if you think you have to have one, go for it!

write-stuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.richarddawkins.net
I've been vascillating on this screen protector thing. I'd prefer not to, but I just read in some apple docs that the oleophobic coating will wear away over time. That's making me look at screen protectors as a solution. I'm very interested in other's opinions.

OP
DavidNM

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been vascillating on this screen protector thing. I'd prefer not to, but I just read in some apple docs that the oleophobic coating will wear away over time. That's making me look at screen protectors as a solution. I'm very interested in other's opinions.

An oleophobic coating is supposed to make the screen resistant to fingerprints. I don't know about your ipad - but mine is a fingerprint magnet.

If I do lose my oleophobic coating and it causes problems with the unit I will return it as a factory defect. :eek:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I have ghost armor on my iPad and it's been good so far. Covers both the front and back of the iPad. I like how it makes the back of the iPad shiny and also adds a nice grip.

And yes the screens can get scratch's fairly easy without them. I'll admit that the screen is good at not scratching but it you get one good bump scrape it will.

Plus with the ghost armor they installed it for me at the mall and made sure it had no bubbles. If the screen protector ever peals or gets messed up they will give you a new one.

write-stuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.richarddawkins.net
The oleophobic coating is why u can wipe off fingerprints easily. Once it is gone (as Apple says it will) it may be very difficult to wipe fingerprints off. Since Apple is already stating that the coating will erode over time, I suspect it will be unlikely they'll honor any claim about it being a defect.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good lord - I so hate screen protectors. Several years ago I swore them off forever. So I got my 3G iPad and bought the Square Trade warranty with the screen replacement policy.

Today I received my MareWare Eco-Vue case. Really nice - I'm a little concerned about the tab that holds the unit in - but it appears to be a solid good looking unit. I am also surprised a bit in that I was concerned the bulkiness would turn me off - and I actually prefer the feel more than the Apple case - it feels more stable / secure.

I digress - the unit also came with a screen protector. So - I just spent 10 minutes trying to get this thing on. Cleaned the screen dusted with a microfiber - got my credit cards, etc.

My mistake - I forgot I needed to install the protector in a clean room used for assembling nuclear triggers. I ended up with about a dozen small bubbles spread out all over the damned thing - which I probably could have worked most out - but alas - a piece of dust the size of a micron (probably moon dust) remains - looking like I need to call the windshield chip-fill people to fix my damaged screen protector.

Enough of this crap - goodbye screen protector - hello screen!

No nuclear trigger clean room in your home? Where are your priorities? Geez, the nerve! Anyway, yea I bought the sgp anti fingerprint protector and ive yet to put it on. Just like the naked screen feel. As soon as otter box comes out with the defender then I'll be all set for outdoor activity. I have squaretrade as well so worst case $50 and I got a brand new one. In the meantime it's home and in the apple case, stored in the nuclear trigger clean room I have of course.

Ron_L

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Marware case came with a screen protector, too. Like you, I decided to put it on, but mine went on flawlessly. The trick, besides cleaning the screen and getting lucky with dust and dog hairs :) is to keep the backing on the protector and peel it off slowly as you use a credit card to smooth out any bubbles as you go.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
David, i already say that long time a go screen protector is crapy stuff, but many people they want one so they feel more safe …. it’s like this and we can’t change them it’s why many supplier include it in their package

Are you going to be like Apple then and stop selling them?

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com

I'm not ipadone, but if I were I would sell them. If people think they need it, sell it.

Half the money spent in any economy is for useless crap. If people want to buy it, sell it. A witch doctor sells a potion, Norton sells software..... It's all good..... Marketing 102 "create a need, fulfill the need"....

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Sonny do a non smoker have a bar will stop to sell cigarette ??

I'm not ipadone, but if I were I would sell them. If people think they need it, sell it.

Half the money spent in any economy is for useless crap. If people want to buy it, sell it. A witch doctor sells a potion, Norton sells software..... It's all good..... Marketing 102 "create a need, fulfill the need"....

You are right i will not stop to sell it we just got the best film existing in the market, and we sell it … but we will never say Screen Protector is must Have

OP
DavidNM

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are people that swear by them - and that market exists. I'm not trying to pee on that market - only open a discussion.

Stop being personal folks!!!

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used to hate screen protectors for the same reason....I never got it managed to put the damn thing on without bubbles or dust under the screen protector.

But now I got my iPad, I loved to use it without the protector (and it hasn't been delivered in time). Then the magic moment - I gave it to my kids, so they could play with their favourite games and it took them less than an hour to manage to get a scratch on the screen......darn....

Now I got my ZAGG Invisible Shield and it actually was a breeze to put it on - even without having a cleanroom - and if you follow very carefully the instructions.

I actually love the better feedback from the screen protector and its far less taking fingerprints, than the plain screen.

BTW, I don't have any bubbles or dust particles under the screen protector! I had a few micro bubbles, but as discribed and told in the instructions - after a day they were gone.

Great product - highly recommended!!!!

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel fairly confident in not using one, judging by my iPhone. I've had all three models, so used each for about a year. I never have them in a case, and quite often throw them in my purse along with everything else. They were used many hours daily until I got the iPad, and yet I've never had a scratch on them.

Most reactions

Latest posts