What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I hardly ever hook up my iPad to my computer...

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
since i do not have any photos on the ipad to speak of just about 25 photos total of my grandkids and kids and my girlfriend along with 14 applications and about 10.gbs of music on the ipad in 10 diff folders i have ..

the last the time i backed it up was when the new apple.O.S. update came out for the ipad and i updated then..

something i learned was to connect the unit to the itunes and update and leave it alone to allow it update..

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I sync maybe once every 2 weeks unless I have down loaded music on apple tv,iphone or iPad. I do not use the MacBook any more as the ipad offers everything I need. This is complimented by the iPhone when I am mobile and have no access to wifi.
The iBook is used by the rest of the family

lprmcnit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had painful experiences with either the loss of a device, or loss of data...it only took me one bad experience before I became a consistent "backer-upper" :) Remember the time you were maybe creating a big document in something like Word, never clicked the save button, and then there was a power bump or something...you get that really sick feeling...

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sync maybe once every 2 weeks unless I have down loaded music on apple tv,iphone or iPad. I do not use the MacBook any more as the ipad offers everything I need. This is complimented by the iPhone when I am mobile and have no access to wifi.
The iBook is used by the rest of the family

ITA col! I turn on my desktop every day but basically use my iPad. I can check my emails so quick on here!

I've had painful experiences with either the loss of a device, or loss of data...it only took me one bad experience before I became a consistent "backer-upper" :) Remember the time you were maybe creating a big document in something like Word, never clicked the save button, and then there was a power bump or something...you get that really sick feeling...

I think all I have is either in my Drop Box or on my flash drive. I don't have to much on here that isn't already saved somewhere else.

But, yes! I have had that sick feeling before in Word. On my desktop.:(

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think all I have is either in my Drop Box or on my flash drive. I don't have to much on here that isn't already sad somewhere else.

You knew I would chime in sooner or later!

The main advantage of letting iTunes do that backup is that if you ever need to restore your iPad, it can all be done in one clean operation without have to "cherry pick" your stuff from various storage locations.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think all I have is either in my Drop Box or on my flash drive. I don't have to much on here that isn't already sad somewhere else.

You knew I would chime in sooner or later!

The main advantage of letting iTunes do that backup is that if you ever need to restore your iPad, it can all be done in one clean operation without have to "cherry pick" your stuff from various storage locations.

I didnt know that one could restore the iPad that way, thanks...

tap50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sync mine about once a week or more. But I'm always converting movies/TV shows from my Tivo and I put them on my iPad via iTunes.

Anyone know if syncing via WiFi will ever be a possibility?

Todd

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To sync it with iTunes. Is that bad? I think the last time was to get the latest update. And I was glad it didn't blow up or croak!:D

So when I do sync it, will it take an extra long time?

Make that NEVER for me so far (after 3 months). I really should do it soon to have a recovery option if/when something goes wrong.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Its been a few months since I have synced. I have no need to back up. All my music in on my home PCs, I don't buy any from iTunes. I do the old fashioned cd rip thing ;) All my apps can be downloaded again easily in case of a crash. All my files are in drop box. All my mail, contacts, etc are in exchange. The only thing I can lose is chat and text message history (Actually, I think Text Plus may keep your history), and some data I've logged with a timer app I use.

Mainly, I just hate itunes. I start twitching and stuff when it opens.

Most reactions