What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to tell the difference between chargers?

MSaxatilus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife threw both my iPod and iPad chargers in a desk drawer. How can I tell the difference between the two?

MSax

Last edited:

sa66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's a dumb question: will the iPad blow up if I use my iPhone or iPod charger?

sbarnes8478

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's a dumb question: will the iPad blow up if I use my iPhone or iPod charger?

1. The only dumb question is the question not asked, especially when concerned about damage to your iPad.

2. No. The iPod charger mimics the current on a USB port, and thus the unit may charge slowly, like when it's plugged into your pc/laptop, but it won't blow up.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
cable doesnt matter, they are the same. The only difference is in the wall charger (iPad wall charger is physically bigger).

OP
M

MSaxatilus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, I'm still confused. The only difference I see between the iPad cable and the iPod cable is one is rounded and one is squared off, and the rounded one has an extra dimple in the male end (don't know which cable is for which device), as seen here:

AppleCables.jpg

So..... is everyone saying that if I am using either one of these cables to charge the iPad while connected to my iMac it does not matter which cable I use the iPad will only charge at 5W. To get the maximum charge rate of 10W I would need to attach the unit to the supplied AC wall adapter and one of these cables to get 10W?

But again, does the cable limit the wattage or is wattage determined by the device, charger or iMac?

Thanks for helping a newbie out.

MSax

GailLA

iPF Novice
Reaction score
cable doesnt matter, they are the same. The only difference is in the wall charger (iPad wall charger is physically bigger).

Depends on which charger/iDevice you have. The iPad wall charger is bigger than the current 3Gs charger; but except for the "10 w" looks exactly the same as the iPhone 2G charger. And of course I'm only talking about the US. I have no idea about other countries.

GailLA

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK, I'm still confused. The only difference I see between the iPad cable and the iPod cable is one is rounded and one is squared off, and the rounded one has an extra dimple in the male end (don't know which cable is for which device), as seen here:
<snip photo>

So..... is everyone saying that if I am using either one of these cables to charge the iPad while connected to my iMac it does not matter which cable I use the iPad will only charge at 5W. To get the maximum charge rate of 10W I would need to attach the unit to the supplied AC wall adapter and one of these cables to get 10W?

But again, does the cable limit the wattage or is wattage determined by the device, charger or iMac?

Thanks for helping a newbie out.

MSax

The cables are interchangeable. I've interchanged them. I use what ever cable is handy, to sync or to charge. The wall plug end chargers are not interchangable. The squared cable came with the iPad.

Last edited:

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me say this again

"you can use whatever cable youmwant, it doesn't matter. What matters is the actual part that plugs into the wall socket."

The charge capability is not limited by the cable in this situation, it is limited by the actual AC adapter.

Most reactions

Latest posts