What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to remote control an IPAD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
tomymogo said:
Picture you want to use your Ipad as a mobil entertainment device. You just have to buy and HDMI adapter and an hdmi cable for your Ipad and connect it to your TV. Now you have access to music, videos, netflix, youtube, mlbtv, hulu plus on your TV. Basically your IPAD becomes your very own apple tv for around 40 dollars, you just watch it form your bed like its normal TV and you start watching a tv series from Netflix, you need to walk to the tv get the Ipad and select the show you want, and you need to do this every time you want to pause fast forward, change episode, etc, so that's why I want a remote control for my IPAD, off course APPLE doesn't provide one because it would definitely take Apple TV off the market with their own IPAD and they don't want that. Cydia has an app that lets you control the IPAD from a computer, but you have to jailbreak it, and well I just don't want to, but it would be awesome to remote control an IPAD.

I'm afraid that you can't remote control an iPad in the manner you want. Your best alternative is to get an Apple TV and keep the iPad with you in bed. That way you can start, stop, pause, and change your videos without having to get out of bed as your videos will be streamed from your iPad to the Apple TV.

Last edited:

AntonyWhite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it can not be possible. There is no remote control for the iPad to enable it to do what you want. The programs ('apps') in an iPad are isolated ('sandboxed') and have only very limited ability to interact. It would only possible if it is allowed by the iPad's operating system, iOS.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it can not be possible. There is no remote control for the iPad to enable it to do what you want. The programs ('apps') in an iPad are isolated ('sandboxed') and have only very limited ability to interact. It would only possible if it is allowed by the iPad's operating system, iOS.

As I pointed out earlier in the thread, it is perfectly possible IF you are willing to jailbreak your iPad. The free app Veency from Cydia will allow full VNC remove control including a mouse cursor. I have this installed and it works perfectly well.
If you are not willing to jailbreak, then you cannot remote control. Simple ;)

Scrippslarry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to be able to at least see my 89- year old Mother's iPad Mini screen when she calls me saying she needs help doing something, or she can't get connected to wi-fi etc. Her memory is not what it used to be so this could be very helpful in diagnosing and fixing problems over the telephone for her.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Scrippslarry said:
I would like to be able to at least see my 89- year old Mother's iPad Mini screen when she calls me saying she needs help doing something, or she can't get connected to wi-fi etc. Her memory is not what it used to be so this could be very helpful in diagnosing and fixing problems over the telephone for her.

The only way for you to see the screen on her iPad would be if she held the iPad up to a mirror while she was FaceTiming you.

Scrippslarry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, but that won't work, because when you're using FT, and push the home button to view or open other apps, the camera goes off. Would be nice if apple would allow the camera to stay on then that would work. She could take a screen shot (tough for her with limited mobility), but that would not help that much... Thanks though!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Scrippslarry said:
Thanks, but that won't work, because when you're using FT, and push the home button to view or open other apps, the camera goes off. Would be nice if apple would allow the camera to stay on then that would work. She could take a screen shot (tough for her with limited mobility), but that would not help that much... Thanks though!

Not only that, but the FaceTime app shuts down. Your mother would need two iPads, one for FaceTiming you and one to use for going to different apps, etc. on your direction. She could hold the second iPad up to the camera on the iPad on FaceTime to show you what's on the screen.

Last edited:

helnrw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To remote controle an iPad from a PC or another iPad will be a big issue..
I have an old mother (90). She can´t fix it. BUT IF I COULD - I would be able to SKYPE with her, Show her pictures, start an audiobook, a newspaper AND SO ON....
HELLO LOGMEIN - WAKE UP....

helnrw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Voice would be enough AND at the same time SHOW my LOCAL OWN iPad SCREEN on the REMOTE iPad.
OR FLIPP the other way so that I see the remote screen on my iPad and can use the remote screen as it was my own. (my fingers are streaching out to the remote place)

AND when I REMOTE controle the iPAD - I could Start SKYPE / FaceTime and then leave it so we can have a normal SKYPE call.

The point is that the "old lady" on the remote iPad only must be able to turn it on (jf its off).
I think that the remote iPad is parked in a docking and left there with power on "forever".
Just think of how many older people there are in this world. An iPAD with a WiFi/3G is very easy to handle and very cheap...

Scrippslarry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not only that, but the FaceTime app shuts down. Your mother would need two iPads, one for FaceTiming you and one to use for going to different apps, etc. on your direction. She could hold the second iPad up to the camera on the iPad on FaceTime to show you what's on the screen.

Actually FaceTime continues to run and allows continued two conversation when you push the home button. Both parties can actually push their home buttons and do other things while they continue to converse. You can actually run any other app other than those that require sound.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Scrippslarry said:
Actually FaceTime continues to run and allows continued two conversation when you push the home button. Both parties can actually push their home buttons and do other things while they continue to converse. You can actually run any other app other than those that require sound.

Not on video they can't. Having the video on would probably be better for helping your mother.

Last edited:

Scrippslarry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not on video they can't. Having the video on would probably be better for helping your mother.

Excuse me, I meant to say that when you press the home button while using FaceTime you can access any other app other than those that require streaming video or sound. The issue remains that I would like to be able to see her screen while I am speaking to her on face time and see what apps she is using and what changes or settings I need to tell her to make interactively.

gerrickpeters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LogMeIn Rescue has this functionality

LogMeIn has a product\service that has this ability-specifically their LogMeIn Rescue line of services. You have to pay for it. However, considering that this is aimed at enterprise support, you should consider it expensing it.

Also check out Good Mobile Messaging and their suite of mobile device software\services.

PeterBCourt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Logmein does NOT offer GUI remote control of IOS devices

Last I checked, and I've been following closely for a while, LogmeIN, nor anyone else I know, do NOT offer GUI remote control of IOS devices. All say its due to Apples restrictions and architecture.. which enforces VERY strict rules about apps talking to other apps.

I find it very misleading that they and several others beat up their limited support for IOS devices to make it SOUND like they have GUI control, like they do for most other devices.

They do offer some good config support etc, but no GUI.

This remains a very major need for IOS devices, both in Enterprise environments, and also in many small personal situations as many have pointed out. I was most frustrated that I could not offer better support for my father during his terminal illness last year when he eventually died of cancer. I was willing to pay a substantial amount for a GUI remote control app to assist him.

rgds .. Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts