What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to open Excel, Word files

Nick Latka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Besides the most fanciful features, I would occasionally have to open and work on word processing and spreadsheet numbering.
Any idea how to handle such files on an iPad?

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are 3 apps to my knowledge that work well. I use Office HD and am happy with it, esp. with the addition of Dropbox (cloud, free 2 GB). There is also Quickdocs (I think) and one whose name I can't remember. Google or search in the app store. Pages also works with Word but there is no folder organization so I never use it. Good reader is a good addition also. You will be surprised how much you can do with the right apps.

Diane

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Numbers will let you open and edit excel spreadsheets. I use doc2go to sync my iPad with my work laptop and view them. If I need to edit them I open in pages, numbers, or keynote.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Numbers can open, edit and export exl. Pages can open, edit and export doc files.

Both are excellent.

xssfun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have complied list of free apps that allows you to open Microsoft office docs on ipad.. Hope it is useful

techawakening.org/open-word-excel-files-on-ipad-iphone/768/

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
xssfun,

You might want to add Quick Office HD Pro and OFfice2HD to your paid list. I've had Office2HD since I got my Ipad 1 in May 2010 and its very good and quite reasonably priced. The developer consistently adds upgrades. It is integrated with Dropbox and a number of other cloud services But not Icloud. It does not do automatic syncing however. Quick Office is pricier but syncs easily with Dropbox and other cloud services but not Icloud. I also have Docs to Go but don't like its method of syncing and integration--convoluted compared to others. I also have had Pages since the beginning but since I use Dropbox it doesn't work well for me.

Both of the above work with docs, spreadsheets, allow viewing of PDFs. There are a number of other apps that open docs and PDFs also.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts