What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you add words to the spell checker?

traildad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This thread was from a while back but I didn't see any other more current info. I tried the add to contact thing but it didn't work. Then I tried press and holding on the auto correct replacement word. It seemed to work my login was always split into two words. Now it works right. ken

traildad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried fixing it in email, but then I used it to login and it didn't work there. I was able to fix it there as well. It seemed that pressing and holding wasn't enough. It seems a bit confusing. I pressed and held until the correction disappeared and then backspaced half way and respelled it correctly. After that it worked. I even tried the login with a different site. Does anyone know if there is a "right" way to do this? Thanks ken

G

Grytpype

There's an app called AutoCorrector which lets you add to the vocabulary. If you add the word in there, the iPad will stop correcting it. Much better than spamming up your contacts list with a whole bunch of useless entries.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Grytpype said:
There's an app called AutoCorrector which lets you add to the vocabulary. If you add the word in there, the iPad will stop correcting it. Much better than spamming up your contacts list with a whole bunch of useless entries.

Is that available in the UK store? I couldn't find it.

The Archangel

G

Grytpype

Is that available in the UK store? I couldn't find it.
Hmm... that's weird. I bought it when I had an iPad 1 and it transferred OK to my new iPad 3, and it is still there... but it doesn't come up in a search, and it no longer appears in my "purchased apps" in the App Store. Maybe it was pulled? That would be typical Apple - if someone comes up with an app that is an improvement on one of theirs, they just pull it.

But it does exist, and mine still works. Here's a CNET article about it.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even the links in the CNET article don't work anymore.....and I thought that I had found the ultimate iOS companion app!

The Archangel

G

Grytpype

Well, that sucks. They must have pulled it from the store.

The puzzle is that it still works on my iPad. When they pulled WeekCalendar, they disabled it completely so it no longer works. Just because it was better than their own crappy Calendar app.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Grytpype said:
Well, that sucks. They must have pulled it from the store.

The puzzle is that it still works on my iPad. When they pulled WeekCalendar, they disabled it completely so it no longer works. Just because it was better than their own crappy Calendar app.

I'll just have to carry on spalling wards incoherently!

The Archangel

LimeyDi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you have got to be kidding me ... what a pathetic excuse for proper technology ... I have to do a WORKAROUND to get the spell check to not flag my name and those of my associates? Where does Apple get off not providing this basic amenity that MS Word has provided from Day One? I do love my iPad and am very happy to be able to use Pages for document production but this, folks, is just plain ridiculous.[/U]

G

Grytpype

Follow-up, FWIW: there's a new App just released called Fixtionary that claims to be able to add new words that won't be auto-corrected. I haven't tried it, so don't know if it works. It costs 99c in the App store. The icon is dark brown with a large white F in the middle.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Follow-up, FWIW: there's a new App just released called Fixtionary that claims to be able to add new words that won't be auto-corrected. I haven't tried it, so don't know if it works. It costs 99c in the App store. The icon is dark brown with a large white F in the middle.

Well, I went ahead and bought it. I just put a word in that constantly shows as incorrectly spelled ("Cydia," for those that care). Then, the app tells you to restart your iDevice for the changes to take affect.

I'm typing this while I wait for my iPhone to restart....

[waiting]

It works!!! The word Cydia (capitalization and all) is no longer underlined in red). I'm going to add more, because the auto-dictionary really hates some of the words I use), but this looks to be well worth the 99¢.

Thanks, Grytpype!

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts